C4 values?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 10:33 PM
Johns Pcar
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 values?

Hello all- Sorry if this question has been posted previously;

I'm looking for a comfort level on the value of a C4 I'm looking at.

'91 C4 manual with 70K miles. Original GP white on black. It is in fantastic condition outside, inside and mechanically. As for as I can tell it is a "needs nothing" example. It does not have stock 964 wheels. Maintenance history back to new. Enthusiast owned.

Whats the range on value with the limited info above?

Apples to apples, how much more value does a C2 bring? And why?

Thank you
Old 08-15-2016, 12:06 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

C2
5-10k like for like
Why? More enthusiast focused? Easier to maintain, less complication, more sporting, lighter, etc.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:14 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

You'll buy a 70k c4 in today's market that "needs nothing" for 45k. They will be offered for sale higher.

Be careful of "needs nothing" as that is usually bs. It likely could be a great car, but we all need something. These cars are old. And if it doesn't need anything right now, it's about to need something. Example. A 70k car, likely has the original distributer belt, but that now needs to be replaced, and while you are in there maybe have the distributer rebuilt w new bearings....

If it really needs nothing- it's worth more, but most people won't pay up for a better car so many cars will trade around the same value, and the real value of the car could be massively different. If you look at the paperwork and determine how much preventative work and maintenance has been done, and how much of that is work you won't have to do, you can get an idea of how much over the general market you can go and still be safe longer term...

If you don't plan on keeping the car a long time...be more careful on the purchase price.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:58 AM
spartansix
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary
If you look at the paperwork and determine how much preventative work and maintenance has been done, and how much of that is work you won't have to do, you can get an idea of how much over the general market you can go and still be safe longer term...
This is really the key - A really nice C4 could be a good buy anywhere between 45-55k, depending on how much preventative work has been done and what you're likely to have to do in the near future. I'm pretty sure that almost every 964 you buy today is going to cost you between 50 and 60k -- it's your choice whether you pay that total up front or split it between the previous owner and your mechanic.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:08 AM
MTR
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
C2
5-10k like for like
Why? More enthusiast focused? Easier to maintain, less complication, more sporting, lighter, etc.
This is good advice. I wouldn't pay more than $50K for the C4 and like Spyerx said a similar C2 would be $55-60K equivalent.
Old 08-15-2016, 02:14 PM
justin-in-athens
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

45k is a solid figure for a C4 coupe manual with that mileage. I would not let mine go for any less than that. My car has some exhaust and suspension goodies that I am glad I did not have to pay for. Some people want a stock car, I get that.
Old 08-15-2016, 03:10 PM
jeanhules
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This goes for all 964s, but look for the standard oil leaks. at 70k, I presume it hasn't had the engine rebuilt. That will most likely need to happen in the next 20-30K miles.

But for 45K at 70K miles in GP White, that's a nice buy.
Old 08-15-2016, 03:34 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably 90% of 964's that have had their engines rebuilt will have been done because of oil leaks and not due to the mileage - and some with very low mileages. If the engine is and remains leak free I don't see why a rebuild would be needed around the 100K miles mark, so try not to read too much into this issue as it's blown way out of proportion. A well maintained 964 engine will run fine way longer than this.

Clearly though, do a PPI and if it's leaking you should factor in the cost to fix this in any offer you make on a car.

I have a C2 now and had a C4 before. Whilst I do prefer the C2 if I was looking for a 964 and a good C4 came up I'd have no hesitation buying it.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:41 AM
cscrogham
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by spartansix
This is really the key - A really nice C4 could be a good buy anywhere between 45-55k, depending on how much preventative work has been done and what you're likely to have to do in the near future. I'm pretty sure that almost every 964 you buy today is going to cost you between 50 and 60k -- it's your choice whether you pay that total up front or split it between the previous owner and your mechanic.
This is spot on!

I think most people don't believe it though, I've had my sorted C4 for sale for a month now for $48k but everyone would rather buy the $30k "deal" and then spend 20 on it (plus a lot of headaches).
Old 08-16-2016, 02:51 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by cscrogham
This is spot on!

I think most people don't believe it though, I've had my sorted C4 for sale for a month now for $48k but everyone would rather buy the $30k "deal" and then spend 20 on it (plus a lot of headaches).
I agree. Buyers aren't thinking the right way. You're car should be bought immediately.
I'd much rather have a sorted C4 than a lower miles car that is "fine as is" - buying a "good" low miles car is a good way to spend a lot of money.
Old 08-16-2016, 03:23 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

^^^^^^^
+1

Quick Reply: C4 values?