Can't engage gear when engine is on

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 01:09 PM
PurpleDog
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't engage gear when engine is on

Hi,

I started my 964 turbo today after 2 months. The gears initially refused to engage when engine was running. After the engine was turned off, the gears worked fine. I kept playing with the gears with engine off and then switching it back on. After some 10 mins, it worked normally again.

I never had this experience with Porsches before (although Ferraris do have this issue). There was no leakage under the car.

Wondering if any fellow owners had this experience and may know the issue?

Thanks.
Old 08-14-2016, 01:13 PM
ZG862
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Sticking clutch?
Old 08-14-2016, 07:50 PM
onceover
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Certainly sounds like a clutch issue to me
Old 08-14-2016, 08:15 PM
PurpleDog
AutoX

Originally Posted by ZG862
Sticking clutch?
Not sure. It worked perfectly well after 10-15 mins so am wondering if it just needed to be warmed up (and driven more often!).

But very strange as I've never experienced this with any of my older Porsches although it's common with the Ferraris.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:39 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Clutch not disengaging

try bleeding first
it might be slave
Old 08-14-2016, 08:54 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Clutch disc stuck to pressure plate. Happens if you seldom drive your car, or if you wash your car on grass and leave it there overnight, any water/moisture gets into your clutch housing-Rust and what-not settles in.

you have to get your car safely onto a street somehow, maybe push it to the street. While engine is off place into 1st gear, push in your clutch and start your car (yes, it will propel your car forward). Now while keeping your clutch in accelerate and coast, accelerate and coast until the adhesion breaks (maybe two or three accelerations). Ive had this happen to my 964, also my 994T. A neighbor's Aston Martin did same thing. The above instructions clears the problem every time

Jaime
Old 08-14-2016, 09:42 PM
PurpleDog
AutoX

Originally Posted by ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Clutch disc stuck to pressure plate. Happens if you seldom drive your car, or if you wash your car on grass and leave it there overnight, any water/moisture gets into your clutch housing-Rust and what-not settles in.

you have to get your car safely onto a street somehow, maybe push it to the street. While engine is off place into 1st gear, push in your clutch and start your car (yes, it will propel your car forward). Now while keeping your clutch in accelerate and coast, accelerate and coast until the adhesion breaks (maybe two or three accelerations). Ive had this happen to my 964, also my 994T. A neighbor's Aston Martin did same thing. The above instructions clears the problem every time

Jaime
Thanks!
Old 08-15-2016, 01:39 AM
mdh_1
Advanced

Sounds like a broken pressure plate finger.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:08 AM
ZG862
Racer

Clutch bleed seems sensible particularly if the problem reduces with running. Perhaps this is the increased temperatures expanding any air in the system enough to give you sufficient movement on the slave. Bleed system, remove air/water, improve slave movement - makes sense.

If a broken pressure plate finger then surely that would rattle around the clutch housing doing all sorts of damage a making a racket? Never had this happen to me (so far) but sounds ugly and expensive.

My philosophy is start with the most obvious and work out from there.

Z
Old 08-15-2016, 10:41 AM
mdh_1
Advanced

Originally Posted by ZG862
Clutch bleed seems sensible particularly if the problem reduces with running. Perhaps this is the increased temperatures expanding any air in the system enough to give you sufficient movement on the slave. Bleed system, remove air/water, improve slave movement - makes sense.

If a broken pressure plate finger then surely that would rattle around the clutch housing doing all sorts of damage a making a racket? Never had this happen to me (so far) but sounds ugly and expensive.

My philosophy is start with the most obvious and work out from there.

Z
No it wouldn't make noise, essentially it would require you to replace the clutch kit (disc/pressure plate). I would start by investigating the slave cylinder and bleeding it, but anything more will probably require removing the transmission to diagnose.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:44 PM
ZG862
Racer

I suspect you have greater experience/skills than I, MDH so I'll ask the question: Do the fingers tend to fail sympathetically and just bend themselves into their neighbours - rather than catastrophically breaking off & destroying everything expensive they find in the bell housing? Or is it a case of the broken finger allowing the release bearing to separate?

Z

Quick Reply: Can't engage gear when engine is on