Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   Smoking exhaust- what could be the problem? (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/948181-smoking-exhaust-what-could-be-the-problem.html)

tonyc 08-09-2016 01:34 AM

Smoking exhaust- what could be the problem?

I've a C2 90 and the car has recently come back from a service. I notice that when idling or stationary blue smoke from my exhaust and a fair amount of it. It seems to appear more when I've stopped on a slight vertical incline.
All oil indicators seem fine and the cars runs well.

Any ideas?

Mezger 08-09-2016 02:46 AM

My guess is that the car got overfilled.

tonyc 08-09-2016 04:50 AM

So will this burn off over time, or should I remove some.

Mark Brook 08-09-2016 05:20 AM

Remove some Tony.

Mezger 08-09-2016 06:28 AM

You MUST remove it.
Having too much oil in the system is by far more harmful than 1-2l below minimum.

Rocket Rob 08-09-2016 08:37 AM

Have you checked the right rear fender well? There is an oil line from the oil filter to the thermostat. I had that leak and it dripped on the secondary muffler, creating a lot of smoke.

crg53 08-09-2016 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by tonyc (Post 13513509)
I've a C2 90 and the car has recently come back from a service. I notice that when idling or stationary blue smoke from my exhaust and a fair amount of it. It seems to appear more when I've stopped on a slight vertical incline.
All oil indicators seem fine and the cars runs well.

Any ideas?

Please elaborate on "All oil indicators seem fine and the cars runs well." Where are the oil temperature gauge and oil level gauge, when idling, and most important, what does the dipstick show. Please let us know before you start draining oil.

:cheers:

tonyc 08-10-2016 06:03 AM

Thanks for the reponse's

The temp needle is where it usually is, depending on how long I've been driving, mainly around the half way mark after 15 minutes, the pressure gauge moves slightly depending on revs but is usualy sitting near the top of the gauge. And the temp gauge is as random as usual. I will look at the oil itself tomorrow and get more on this.

crg53 08-10-2016 03:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK, I will try again. What does your oil temperature gauge and oil level gauge read at idle on level ground, when the car is warmed up to operating temp. And again, the most important, what does the dipstick show in these same conditions.
PS. Please don't tell us they read normal, we need exact readings, actually pictures would be great.

Something like this.

LM964 08-11-2016 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob (Post 13513765)
Have you checked the right rear fender well? There is an oil line from the oil filter to the thermostat. I had that leak and it dripped on the secondary muffler, creating a lot of smoke.

Common issue (some negliable smoke, some more so).

Your smoke from the actual exhaust pipe/tip or from the general area? Oil level after a couple minutes idle on level ground first place to start..

tonyc 08-11-2016 06:52 AM

I will have to check this again. The car is not parked near my home or particularly easy to get to, hence the vague response. I won't get to see her for a couple of weeks and will report back with photo's etc then.

LM964 08-12-2016 04:30 AM

Ah, does the smoking only occur if the car has not been used for a while? Or is the smoking constant - there at any time when stationary idling at any time during any daily drive?

tonyc 09-01-2016 03:52 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Just got back into the car after 2 weeks or so. I notice the smoke only intermittently, I see it pass me by when I stop at a light. It doesn't seem to appear when idling I can smell the burn oil when I get out though.

Here are some photos, the dip stick was difficult to see but I did notice oil all the way up to the mark indicated. The dial shot is after a 40 minute drive.

Kappi2907 09-01-2016 06:00 AM

Overfilled!
Also your oiltemp is too high. Maybe caused by overfilling but this is something you should get checked also.
Start by removing 1ltr of oil is my advise.
Alsp check ISV & MAF, they can be dirty due to overfill.

tonyc 09-01-2016 06:12 AM

Thanks for the feedback. Will get some removed. Just to say that I'd parked just after a spell in a heavy traffic jam in 32ºC (89ºF) heat. The needle usually drops once on the open road.