Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Really bummed... (accident 964 RWB)

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 02:47 AM
verticalflight
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Really bummed... (accident 964 RWB)

Just finished up about 6 months of non-stop work building my RWB. Literally wrapped up about 2 weeks ago and decided to do a family road trip to Oregon this past weekend.

These 2 shots are 20 minutes prior to the accident, on the Oregon coast. My son is 12 years old.

So 20 minutes later, we have a CHP officer trailing us for a few miles. My wife was following in her Cayenne behind me and behind the CHP truck. My wife went on to later say she saw the lady officer constantly "rubber necking" the oncoming cars looking at them for cell phone usage, etc.

Anyway, in Crescent City, I stopped at cross walk for 2 folks to cross. And then the CHP officer hit us at 35mph. It pushed the car forward about 10-15 feet.

I hopped out very fast thinking the car might catch on fire, and got my son out of there quick. He was actually quite confused by what had happened. We were both in shock, and I was holding my neck from the impact.

The officer's truck was leaking radiator fluid and her ramming bar thing was all bent up. She was in shock too, and said that she stopped looking at the road to observe oncoming drivers using their cell phones. She said she was really sorry. She did move her truck quite quickly to the side of the road, I left my car where it landed for several minutes but at her insistence she made me pull it to the side of the road.

She called her sarge to report the issue, and he said he would be there within 30 minutes. When he arrived, he seemed to blame me for moving my car (didn't know she told me to move it), and started asking me weird questions like did I know she was behind me, how long was I stopped before the impact happened, etc. I said I think there is video on the truck so let's just watch that. The folks from the cross walk ended up giving me a video testimonial observing that she wasn't look at all when she impacted us.

The impact speed was determined to be around 35 mph, and there were no braking lines from the officer. I ended up going to the hospital with my son. There has been some follow up which I don't want to get into until the case is fully resolved, but just wanted to post pics here of the damage. Will keep people posted on the outcome.

Really sucks to have this happen, but I am really glad we both survived of course - that is the main thing... of course I was gutted about the car. Note that the impact caused my 996 seat to crack!

Old 07-06-2016, 06:45 AM
Undutched
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Ohhhhhhhhhh man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know what else to say other than the usual glad you are ok and the car can be fixed.

So get to it, fix it and put a turbo on it
Old 07-06-2016, 07:17 AM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's terrible.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:25 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

Glad you and your son are ok. Sorry to see your car was hurt.

About 2 years ago, someone rear ended me in my cabrio on the Interstate. The damage was significant but the bodyshop was able to fix it. Good luck with the repair.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:33 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Crazy. Sucks about the car. Hopefully it's fixable.

At least it was a CHP, not some uninsured a-hole, and you have videos and witnesses on your side.

And profit.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:50 AM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow she bit you hard you're both lucky to be I injured. Sucks about the car obviously. I'm surprised the damage isn't worse seeing as your seat cracked.
Id lawyer up. My cousin was hit by a cop and it was a difficult process to get them to admit fault and pay the damages in a very clear cut situation like yours. Hopefully California is more honest than Massachusetts but I doubt it.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:59 AM
paa502
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That truly sucks, sorry it happened. Get it fixed better than it was before - on their dime. Everyone makes mistakes, she clearly did. You've incurred inconvenience and hardship which should be compensated.

Glad you and your son are okay.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:01 AM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 119 Posts

So a distracted cop hit you while looking for distracted drivers... WOW! What an idiot. Sorry for you misfortune, that sucks.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:12 AM
MTR
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear about the car, but glad your son and you are OK. You are definitely lucky that you were hit by someone with a dash cam as long as the clip doesn't get "accidentally deleted." But I would think this would be embarrassing for the Police Department so maybe they will want to get it taken care of quickly and quietly, but you never know. Seems like you are doing a good job documenting everything - let us know how things turn out.

How is the engine? Did it get pushed forward at all? If the engine is in good shape I'd guess $8k in damages.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:18 AM
02m2
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Unfortunately ....I would lawyer up and not make any more statements. They will try and make it your fault.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:26 AM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

^^^ I echo this. The situation sucks but glad you and your son are ok, hopefully the 964 can be fixed.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:41 AM
tsp533
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent that you are both ok - The seat back pic really illustrates the violence of the impact. Please be cautious as neck problems can crop up even months after the incident. I had surgery for a broken neck that wasn't discovered until a year after I was hit from the rear.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:54 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Wow, hit by an officer...
Glad both your son and you are OK.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:19 PM
fenixv8
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Glad to hear you are ok. Get everything looked at and pay close attention to your body. This happened to me 7 years ago. I was stopped at a red light and D bag on his cell phone didnt realize the light was read or that cars were stopped there and hit me hard. I got wipe lash and to this day neck/shoulder is not the same.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:39 PM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nightmare! Please continue to share how this gets resolved.. Impact to crack a seat, not good for occupants... Lawyer consult for sure..... Hopefully, "engine in the bucket" was untouched.

Quick Reply: Really bummed... (accident 964 RWB)