Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carrera 4 ABS Test Set – Almost Ready for Order – Gauging Current Interest

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 09:30 PM
cajonfan
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Carrera 4 ABS Test Set – Almost Ready for Order – Gauging Current Interest

Thanks for your patience as the C4 prototype units were being evaluated. The evaluators identified a couple of hardware and procedure issues that have now been resolved. Thanks again to the four brave owners who took on the evaluation effort and connected an unknown test tool to their expensive machines.

I would like to compile a list of interested C4 owners over the next couple of weeks or so to see if there is currently enough interest to warrant building a lot of 10 or more units. If we hit this threshold, the circuit card costs drop significantly to where the units will be more affordable. I have also revised the pricing model used on the C2 version to get your acquisition cost as low as possible. The C2 offer included a $10 rebate for measurement data - now I’ve just reduced the price, (though I would still like to see your data).

Proposed pricing is as follows –
$400 shipped via Priority Mail to US addresses.
Priority Mail costs to most other cities runs about $50 more, but I’ll provide actual quotes for each particular address when the orders are placed.

If the production lot size gets to 20 units, I can discount the cost of the units by $20. Lot sizes larger than 20 units will result in further discounts. Once the minimum lot size is reached, I’ll be able to accept orders. I will request a $100 deposit up front and request the balance when the units are ready to ship. If the actual lot size results in further discounts, I’ll reflect that in the final balance request.

Production time is estimated at 6 weeks and I’ll advise you along the way on how the production is proceeding.

As always, I will be happy to answer any questions on the test set or test procedure whenever the questions arise.
Please PM me if you are currently interested in the C4 ABS Test Set, I’ll keep the current tally posted.

Thanks again for all the interest, it has been a while.

Michael (cajonfan)

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
C4 Test Set Photo.pdf (336.4 KB, 207 views)
Old 06-28-2016, 09:42 PM
Nylasurf
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

This unit would test both the ABS and the PDAS circuit functionality?

If so - put me down for 1
Old 06-28-2016, 09:59 PM
cajonfan
Rennlist Member

The perfect question -
The C4 ABS Test Set allows you to fully test and exercise all the ABS wiring and relays, indicators, sensors, and hydraulic circuits.

The test set allows you to validate the function of the PDAS system controls and indicators, the lateral and longitudinal accelerometers, and the electrical connectivity of the locking valves.

The tester does not allow you to actuate and exercise the locking valves. For this you'll still need a Hammer equivalent. It's possible that a cable connected switch may allow the valves to be exercised through the test set, but we are not there yet.

In summary, the ABS test set is designed to allow you to validate that everything that interfaces to the expensive ABS/PDAS computer is present and functioning. It is not meant to perform the functions of the computer.

Michael
Old 06-28-2016, 10:43 PM
peteho
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Michael,
Thank you for your work on this. Please put me down for one unit.
Thanks
Peter
Old 06-29-2016, 02:15 AM
dlpalumbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 for me. Thanks for doing this.

Dan
Old 06-29-2016, 06:18 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

PM sent. Please put me on the list for one.
Thank you.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:15 AM
jlmartin94
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi ,
First , many many thanks for your labor
People like you help greatly assist to keep our car in running condition and not stand in a garage like museum parts .

so -> Thank !

I would be interested by one for c4 .
I already have a PDT999 but need to "know" that my ABS is in full working condition .
even he seem to work ( testing in sand /gravel ) .

however some questions
- does the C4 version still be usable on C2 car ?

- can you read some voltage values ?
why -> I found that the PDAS module raise an error if the voltage is below 9Volt "while the starting BITE ( Built In test Equipement ) procédure".
Same issue seen on Bmw bikes, owners bypass this issue with a delaying relay ( only activated by the alternator power so when the motor runs .. ).
http://ibmwr.org/r-tech/oilheads/ABS...on/index.shtml

Mine ( 964 ) is raising this fault - from time to time - when the car just stop for a minute ( exemple : for refuelling ) and when i start again , bam !!! -> fault ..

It happen less often when cold ( winter )

Do you check those sort of errors ?

Last but not the least : can you ship outside USA ??? ( cost is my charge, of course )

Best regards !
Old 06-29-2016, 12:43 PM
cajonfan
Rennlist Member

More great questions -

Regarding the use of the C4 ABS test set on a C2 -
It is true that the functions and interface signals on the C2's 35 pin connector are a subset of those on the C4's 55 pin connector and one device could support both applications. However, an external cable would be required to make the connection. The cost of this cable assembly with new connectors, contacts, backshells, and wire would likely be half the cost of the C2 ABS test set (which was about $300 shipped). My goal was to help everyone, mostly individual owners, maintain and periodically test their abs systems. I did not really expect many to need a version that services both.

Regarding the reading of voltage values -
The ABS test set tests and validates all power and ground connections to the ABS / PDAS controller connector. Test points are provided to monitor the input voltages at the connector. Measuring transient voltages are not part of the test procedure, but if that low-level error is what you are chasing the test set allows you to monitor the voltage while manipulating the current draw (by actuating the abs pump and solenoids for example). If you have an issue with relay or harness resistance, you'll find it.

Regarding shipping outside the US -
Not a problem, the US Postal Service Priority Mail service goes just about everywhere. The typical difference in shipping costs is about $50.

Best regards,
Michael
Old 06-30-2016, 08:12 AM
jlmartin94
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cajonfan
However, an external cable would be required to make the connection.
Aargh ... don't remeber this detail

same issue with PDT999 between round and square connector

I did not really expect many to need a version that services both.
two example :
A friend of mine have both C2 & C4 ...

Another friend of mine sell his C4 last year and then buy a C2 ... ( more fun to drive he said . )
that's why the question
maybe could you sell the cable as an "option" , regardless the price , maybe some would be interested in ?

Regarding shipping outside the US -
Not a problem, the US Postal Service Priority Mail service goes just about everywhere. The typical difference in shipping costs is about $50.
great !

I'm in for a C4 version
Old 06-30-2016, 01:40 PM
PAOLOP
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm in for a C4 version (shipped to Italy)
Old 06-30-2016, 08:31 PM
cajonfan
Rennlist Member

30 June - The current tally is 5-6 interested parties . I'll update the tally again early next week.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:52 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Yep,....I'm in.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:02 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

I'm in.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:25 PM
Pacific German
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Pencil me in too.
I'm not gonna lie. I have a tool addiction.
Old 07-13-2016, 01:18 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Pacific German
Pencil me in too.
I'm not gonna lie. I have a tool addiction.
I feel your pain

Quick Reply: Carrera 4 ABS Test Set – Almost Ready for Order – Gauging Current Interest