964 Project - Retro look

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 03:37 PM
964 David
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 964 Project - Retro look

Hello to all Porsche enthusiasts,

I have been wanting to get porsche for long time and after while I finally got hands on two porsches in decent shape. I have one 1994 C2 and one 1990 C4. I like to make C4 to old retro look (something similar to singer) and C2 more as RS - sportier and stiffer version which I can take occasionally to track. My plan is to do one at a time (since I use one of them as daily driver).
I have read few really good posts and watching some of you going through long and extensive process of bringing your vision to reality and I like to share with you my idea and hopefully let your suggestions guide me along a way to make good decisions and save some money .

I like to build C4 retro look as my daily driver. I know it will take while to do everything from mechanical, interior and exterior but I am ok with it. I have some challenges with figuring out short shifter on C4 and I like to know if anyone did it. I read great post on https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...shifter-2.html but this one still has modification on the floor. I live in LA and roads are really bad here.

Parts:
1) I like to use billet short shifter. There is Roth sport for $395 http://www.rothsport.com/Products/Tr...et-Shifter.htm or FD motorsport kit for $595 http://fdmotorsports.net/964-993-c2-...ort-shift-kit/
2) I wonder if someone use RS rod with Roth sport short shifter on C4 and how is the performance. Maybe its not good option but I thought I ask. Goal is to build long lasting stiffer with sportier shifting.

thank you all.
David

Old 06-22-2016, 12:01 AM
carlskisWP
Instructor

I'm also wondering how Dobermandad's short shift kit install went and how does it feel?

And welcome 964 David.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:47 AM
george stamos
8th Gear

Looks like a great project,...or two! Best of luck
Old 10-09-2016, 11:10 PM
964 David
2nd Gear

So far work coming along as expected, slower and more complicated then I thought Very Happy . We got engine out and replace few components such for better performance such as: RS flywheel, Clutch friction disc, Pressure plate cover, RS single mass conversion set, studs and some more (purchased from Patrickmotorsport.com), engine has supercharger installed and car/shell is stripped down.

At this point car is ready for metal fabrication and for backdating to 1973 RSR. At a moment we looking how to widen quarter panels and fenders. I have two options, either to buy prefabricated flares or made them from scratch. I would prefer to buy RSR metal flares, it would be cheaper and faster then to build them from scratch. Does anyone has resource for good company where to buy metal RSR flares. Friend of mine recommend me Restoration-design.com in Canada but they have only RS, not RSR. I also spoke with nice gentleman from GT-Racing.com (they make fiberglass, Kevlar and carbon fiber parts) and with Bryce from aasesales.com. Based on conversation with them RSR flares are 9" wider in front and 11" wider in back (those are the once without rectangular opening on wheel well).

If anyone did conversion to 1973 RSR I would really appreciate for resource for necessary parts (metal or aluminum only).

Thank you much
Old 10-16-2016, 11:46 PM
JJJMCD
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

See: https://rennlist.com/forums/911-forum/222742-steel-aluminum-rsr-st-fenders-flairs.html

Quick Reply: 964 Project - Retro look