Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

use of uhaul auto transporter trailer for hauling a 964?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 05:59 PM
flydjb
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default use of uhaul auto transporter trailer for hauling a 964?

I need to haul my 1990 964 for service (its running really rough, so don't want to drive it 40 miles!), and not sure of best option. Tentatively planned on using a UHAUL auto transporter trailer. Can someone enlighten me if this will work ok with the loading ramps they provide, I know the ramps are less than 6 ' long, and I'm concerned about ground clearance when loading. Also, best way to secure the tie down straps around wheels advice, is MUCH appreciated as well.
TIA for any input!!
Dave
Old 05-20-2016, 11:57 PM
Porschenut_Lee
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Dave,

Most U-haul trailers will be fine. I helped a guy load a 69 912 on a u-haul trailer with no issue. The straps are great since they are designed to go over the tires themselves and ratchet tight. If need be you can always get a couple 8' planks to get a better angle if car is too low.
Old 05-21-2016, 08:01 AM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Why not have the garage doing the service pick it up for you? Most charge very little $--- up here it's about $1 per mile. And once on their trailer, they are responsible for ensuring it gets to their shop safely.

Another option is to join AAA and have them flatbed it for you. I wouldn't bother with a u haul trailer.
Old 05-21-2016, 03:46 PM
Derek911
Racer

I have used the uhaul trailer. Worked perfectly fine, but have 2 or 4 2x6 pieces of lumber in case you have clearance issues. Depending on how low your car is, it may be difficult to get up the ramps or clear the front of the trailer to strap it down once loaded. Bring some lumber and a hand saw and you will be good. The tire straps provided by uhaul will be sufficient. Anytime a tow truck touches these cars you are open to damage. You must have a tow hook so the tow truck driver doesn't hook up to the suspension and damage something. There are a number of threads where cars were damaged when being pulled up on flatbed tow trucks.
Old 05-22-2016, 01:00 PM
flydjb
5th Gear

Thanks much, this helps a lot!! Ended up watching a couple videos on you tube, and with the lumber on hand, I think it'll work great.
FYI, I don't want to ask someone else to haul it, AAA or USAA, or shop, or... simply cuz I trust no one else to use the care I would.
Old 05-22-2016, 02:18 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Buddy of mine uses a uhaul trailer to tow his Gt3 sometimes, so there is no reason a 964 won't get on one of these. Just need to have some boards for angle of approach and possible front clearance. Totally doable.
Old 05-22-2016, 03:09 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Dont you need to back it on to get weight distribution right?
Old 05-22-2016, 03:43 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default U haul

I used one to haul my car to Daytona for service with no problems. I had to borrow the neighbors expedition because the rental car companies don't let you tow with their trucks.

I hear you on not trusting AAA or their subcontractors. Last year one of their drivers managed to drive an old BMW I bought off the flat bed into the cab doing a bunch of damage.

Originally Posted by flydjb
I need to haul my 1990 964 for service (its running really rough, so don't want to drive it 40 miles!), and not sure of best option. Tentatively planned on using a UHAUL auto transporter trailer. Can someone enlighten me if this will work ok with the loading ramps they provide, I know the ramps are less than 6 ' long, and I'm concerned about ground clearance when loading. Also, best way to secure the tie down straps around wheels advice, is MUCH appreciated as well.
TIA for any input!!
Dave
Old 05-29-2016, 08:55 AM
NoSub Dan
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I used a U haul trailer once to go from Jacksoville to Miami. Ended up driving it back.

Quick Reply: use of uhaul auto transporter trailer for hauling a 964?