Ohlins or KW?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 08:19 PM
scped
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PSS10, Ohlins, or KW?

adding Bilstein PSS10s to the discussion

I am trying to decide between Ohlins and KW suspensions for my wide body (America Roadster). Most of the KW feedback is positive, but Ohlins has an impressive resume.

It seems the Ohlins can be upgraded in stages up to 4-way, so although they have a higher initial cost (especially considering the current KW group buy), perhaps they are more future proof.

Any experience with both, or advice on which path to follow?

I appreciate any and all feedback.

Cheers,
Scped

Last edited by scped; 05-08-2016 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Update title
Old 05-05-2016, 08:29 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The first question you have to ask yourself is what will the car and suspension be used for. No sense in spending that kind of $ if it's street driven only. If the car will see track use, then I would talk to Steve Weiner at Rennsport.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:36 PM
scped
Instructor

It will primarily be driven on the street (it is a convertible), but may be taken to the track now and then.

I know they will not be seen, but I do prefer the look of the Ohlins - for whatever that is worth. Thanks.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:53 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

Several thoughts.

First, only the very best suspension people
le can properly adjust a 4-way damper. As such, whatever you chose, I would limit it to a 2-way damper.

Second, yes the Ohlins looks better but I suspect the KW units might be better for your use.

Third, you might want to also look at the Bilstein PSS10 Walter Rohrl Edition for 964.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:43 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

i have cars with both.
A TTX 2 way is about 10k. Unless you have shock pots on your data system and/or a chassis engineer to adjust your dampers, stick to 2 way. I'm guessing you're not racing the car. KW clubsports are about 3.5k. They are a 2 way. KW competition are about 7k for a 3 way with remote canisters. All are rebuildable.

Both are excellent, both can be setup to work very well and be very supple yet controlled. Spring rates matter. Clubsport spring rates are pretty aggressive for street use.

But, if you want my candid opinion? Grab the MCS dampers mooty is selling. Get proper top hats and some swift springs you are set. Otherwise the KW kits are pretty much plug and play, but spec a softer spring if for street only.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:36 AM
Matt Andrews
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

90% of casual track day guys won't be able to adjust 2 way dampers either. Honestly, for a convertible that won't see serious track duty, I'd buy a quality set of single adjustable and spend the rest of the money on bushing upgrades and top hats to remove a lot of the slop from the rest of the system...
Old 05-08-2016, 02:14 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Andrews
90% of casual track day guys won't be able to adjust 2 way dampers either. Honestly, for a convertible that won't see serious track duty, I'd buy a quality set of single adjustable and spend the rest of the money on bushing upgrades and top hats to remove a lot of the slop from the rest of the system...
For a cab street car I'd buy a set of bilstein b6 and eibach springs and call it a day. It's always going to be a cab. Nothing against cabs, but never going to be a good track car and in this case, good enough is good enough. Spend the saved money on bushings, swaybars, ball joints, tie rods...and maybe monoball rear hats...for all that you'd still be under the price of one set of ohlins...
Old 05-08-2016, 09:54 PM
scped
Instructor

Thank you all for the feedback. I am compelled to consider the Billstein pss10s (I made an update to the title) based on the note from Robert - and the fact Walter Rohrl uses them in his 964.

fvd sells the Walter Rohrl version of the pss10s - however they state this particular version only fit on the European RS edition.

If someone can provide details, I would be interested to learn:

1) What are the significant differences between a "regular" 964 and an RS that would require different suspensions? I assume it is more than ride height

2) What are the differences between the "regular" PSS10s and the Walter Rohrl version?

Thanks again,
Scped
Old 05-08-2016, 10:56 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary
Nothing against cabs, but never going to be a good track car...
Some of us win season championships in our cabs

scped- KW are also stainless, Bilstein very definitely are not. In case you use your car outside of sunny days. Personally, I like, and use, the adjustments options too. To answer your first question-

1. RS uses monoball top mounts which alter the overall ride height and require a shorter-bodied shock to obtain the correct height. RS coilovers on stock rubber top mounts will put you much too low.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:16 AM
fenixv8
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I have used all 3 brands on a number of my previous cars. MR2, ITR, S2000, RSX, EP3, FRS, NSX, 964 and hands down if you are going to use mostly on the road with occational track then I would for with KW v3.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:08 PM
porsche mania
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by -nick
Some of us win season championships in our cabs

scped- KW are also stainless, Bilstein very definitely are not. In case you use your car outside of sunny days. Personally, I like, and use, the adjustments options too. To answer your first question-

1. RS uses monoball top mounts which alter the overall ride height and require a shorter-bodied shock to obtain the correct height. RS coilovers on stock rubber top mounts will put you much too low.
The reason isnt down to the top mounts but rather that the rs is built on the later chassis which has shorter shock tower, this was needed with the introduction of the cabriolet to make room for the top to go down. Rs shocks can be fitted to earlier cars but will require a spacer as well as the monoball top mount. This also needs modification as the bolt patern changed.
If anyone has questions on this im happy to help. Ive been through this fitting later cup/rs suspension and then motons to my early coupe.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:31 AM
GT63TT
Instructor

Originally Posted by scped
(especially considering the current KW group buy),
can someone link the group buy please.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:41 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by GT63TT
can someone link the group buy please.
Just give Dave a call at butzigear....you'll get the best price. He's very good.

Quick Reply: Ohlins or KW?