Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on body work should I or not?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 07:46 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I notice a lot of people are saying pull the windshield but honestly this windshield is in excellent shape. I doubt it's the original but it is a Sigla and there's hardly any putting, no creaking, etc. I'd hate to pull it and open a can of worms. We all know it's not easy to get a perfect windshield replacement. If I noticed rust then yes I would but from what I can see there's no signs of it.
I'm still going back and forth. I bought this as a driver because I wasn't really able to enjoy my last few 993's as they were in incredible shape. I planned on finally enjoying it and not worrying but like another person replied, if I notice scratches it'll take some of the enjoyment away. It's hard buying something to keep in drivers condition and not try to make perfect when you are a perfectionist. The paint isn't really that bad. PDR can remove the dings. The front bumper and caliper refinish will make this car look very very nice without it being concours. Dr colorchip will cover the other chips. This is what I'm trying to convince myself to go with.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:24 PM
biggynuts01
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you don't pull the windshield and other glass it is possible that the paint will start to peel and flake along the edges after a few years. Also you probably want to look for rust beneath the seal.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:28 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by biggynuts01
If you don't pull the windshield and other glass it is possible that the paint will start to peel and flake along the edges after a few years. Also you probably want to look for rust beneath the seal.
I'll pull the windshield if I have to paint around the windshield but the roof, cowl paint is in excellent shape and not in need if any repair at this time. The only parts that were resprayed by PO were the front bumper and hood. The rest of the paint is original.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:47 PM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Earlydays
you're investing in a car that in not too many years in the future will be worth north of $100k .
Lol; quite the prediction. As an owner of a MY93 coupe, certainly there is a part of me that would like to see this type of increase; however it would suck for the marque as very few would want to actually drive their car. There would also be a shift in the type of owner from enthusiast to collector. Personally I don't see these values doubling again anytime soon, which is what the OP's car would have to do to reach your prediction. Drive on!
Old 04-28-2016, 10:30 PM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts

For me I would not spend the money to repaint.

My 964 is there for the driving. I would spend all the money on mechanical issues to make sure it is a good driver.

Cosmetically we call it "pa·ti·na".
Old 04-28-2016, 10:41 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by canuck964
For me I would not spend the money to repaint. My 964 is there for the driving. I would spend all the money on mechanical issues to make sure it is a good driver. Cosmetically we call it "pa·ti·na".
And that is my issue. Top end, and clutch all done recently. Tires are new. I know the shocks were replaced but PO used factory Boges. So that's one upgrade I know I would need to spend $ on. I know for my purchase price I can throw some $ at the car and still be ahead of the game, but I bought it to drive. I'm just having this internal fight with my OCD to stop myself from going overboard and just tell myself to just do some PDR and get the bumper repainted and go from there. Ah decisions, decisions.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:27 AM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

I have another question. I'm going to have the calipers refinished. Factory color is black like they are now. I don't think the normal Porsche red will go with my coral red color. How do you guys feel about matching the calipers to the body with the Porsche sticker in white. So coral red calipers? Or would you stick with the factory black?
Old 04-29-2016, 11:51 AM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would pull the glass if I were doing it. Like you said it's an investment, doing it right will get your best return down the road. I think you said you were in the north east. I would bring it to Mikes auto body in Boston or auto associates. Both have great reputations.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:02 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KMASS993
I would pull the glass if I were doing it. Like you said it's an investment, doing it right will get your best return down the road. I think you said you were in the north east. I would bring it to Mikes auto body in Boston or auto associates. Both have great reputations.
Funny you say Mikes. It's already there that's where my quote came from. I'm just going to do the bumper and have PDR remove any dings. I'll have the calipers refinished too. This way I can enjoy it thus summer without worries then get the suspension sorted and maybe bring it back to Mikes after the summer to get the full work done.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:16 PM
porsche mania
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull the glass! My scuttles looked perfect but the glass came out to have the sunroof deleted and while it wasnt bad yet there was a little surface rust front and rear. If left this would have been a much more serious and expensive job that id have been forced to deal with 2 years fown the line!
Old 04-29-2016, 12:42 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

I concur with the general sentiment- pull the glass and don't mask around it. There's no way to hide a masking line around the windshield or the front fender gaskets. If that isn't in the cards, then a paint correction is a better plan. There is a shop in MA that has a good rep for that kind of work if you want a reference. Mike's definitely has a very good rep.

That said, the hood, bumpers, and side mirrors tend to suffer the most. Can you get away with just spraying those items? Assuming the shop can give a near perfect color match?

For the calipers- check for corrosion under the caliper spring plates. It's rare to find sets that aren't corroding. If you have all of them out, that would be the time to address it. I won't comment on color.

You wanted internet advice, I'm sure that we can collectively add all kinds of while-you're-in-there projects to your list Enjoy!
Old 04-29-2016, 01:10 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys! I appreciate the comments. I see a lot of people still recommending to pull the glass but the only parts of the car that need some chips repaired are the bumper and hood. No other parts of the body need repainting. The front was resprayed. From the doors back is all original paint. If I was going to do full repaint I would absolutely do a glass out repaint but it's just the hood and bumper that I need to address.
The other detailing shop you recommended is Unique Car Care in Stoneham. Rick Nelson is the owner he is here on Rennlist. He is who will be doing the paint correction/detail/PDR. He is the best around there isn't even a close second.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:22 PM
Derek911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You said this is a driver... So there is your answer right there. Don't paint it. It is impossible to keep the front end free of rock chips if you are driving it. Having it painted will just make driving it a bit more apprehensive. My car is very clean, paint almost perfect in most places, but a bit of road rash on the hood. I can live with it because what's done is done. If it was perfect I would get upset if and when it gets messed up. My car is a good weather driver, not daily, but when I get in it, I'm not afraid of getting rock chips because I already have them. Lol. Keep it detailed, live with the road rash, drive the hell out of it. Enjoy it without the worry of hurting perfection.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:54 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

There was a thread once - something like "how much do you have in your 964" - I think we all found out that we all had WAY more money in our cars than they were worth. And it was kinda funny. Most of the people I know would never ever tell their wives how much they have spent on their 964...

But lately, I hear a lot of comments about being careful with values...as though we have left the "let's spend whatever and go have fun" years and now it's "I bought a collector car and need to be careful of money and mileage"....

That type of thinking has to go...except for maybe the few special cars. You, we, I, bought these cars to have fun. So Thea's my advice. Fun has no budget. Do as you like. Enjoy it. Your ocd wants a respray? Have at it. Do not be worried about being upside down in an old 911, cuz unless you bought a 29k mile Mexico blue C2 coupe with factory delete sunroof...you are already under water just maintaining and driving what you have...(maybe not in your case since you bought at 27k, but you get the idea...)

Spend whatever it takes to make that car right for you and enjoy it.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:19 AM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Well I made the decision, and I'm doing just the front bumper and calipers. I'm going to go with body color for the calipers I think it'll look nice as coral red is sort of a copper/orange color. I want to get the suspension sorted then maybe next year or down the line a little further I'll go more in to the paint. For now I'll have all the dings taken out by PDR and enjoy it. I'm very picky so I probably made the car sound worse than it actually is. It's in very nice condition I just wanted it a little better.

Quick Reply: Question on body work should I or not?