Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   Key areas for sound deadening with rs carpet set. (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/930674-key-areas-for-sound-deadening-with-rs-carpet-set.html)

porsche mania 04-23-2016 01:49 PM

Key areas for sound deadening with rs carpet set.

As the title says im looking to add a little sound deadwning to my 964. I have the original front footwell stuff already in there but still get a lot of road noise. Dont want to add too much weight to the car so was just wondering if anyone has any idea where the most noise gets in? Any advice on what to use also greatly appreciated. Jim.

Streetdaddy 04-23-2016 02:20 PM

I read awhile back the doors are a big source of noise. You want to stop vibration and then to add mass. Google it, there is a guy who explains it really well. Can't think of his name of top of my head. I added a heavy vinyl piece over motor and it seemed to help.

azander 04-23-2016 04:39 PM

I don't find mine is too loud and I have a full sound deadening strip, rs carpet with some foam added on the over the transmission tunnel to fill in the carpet a bit.

I'm pretty sure the factory RS has sound deadening over the tunnel, floor mats, and on the rear shelf. If I did it again, I'd leave the sound deadening in these spots for both noise and getting a smooth carpet install.

porsche mania 04-26-2016 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by azander (Post 13225594)
I don't find mine is too loud and I have a full sound deadening strip, rs carpet with some foam added on the over the transmission tunnel to fill in the carpet a bit.

I'm pretty sure the factory RS has sound deadening over the tunnel, floor mats, and on the rear shelf. If I did it again, I'd leave the sound deadening in these spots for both noise and getting a smooth carpet install.

Its not that i find the engine noise unpleasant its just on a crappy road the noise from the tyres really grates after a while. If the road surface is reasonable then the car is fine. Unfortunately all my local roads are rough, great fun but not what you would call smooth! Ive got some nimbers for a few firms that do a foam for airplanea that im going to speak to, hopefully they have something thats light enough that i can do the whole back of the car.

-nick 04-26-2016 06:52 PM

Light and sound deadening unfortunately don't mix. You need mass to block airborne sound, such as MLV. A few strips of dynamat on the floors may help a little to diminish resonance. But to block the sound, you need a heavy barrier with a layer of foam beneath it to decouple. Pretty much exactly what the factory did.

But the biggest impact on road noise will be your tires. Soft sidewall tires are very much quieter than stiff sidewall tires. As well as small tread blocks are quieter than large tread blocks. In other words, extreme summer tires are going to be loud.