Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   2000 Miles, All Smiles. Tail of the Dragon. (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/930014-2000-miles-all-smiles-tail-of-the-dragon.html)

Mr.Alex 04-19-2016 09:42 PM

2000 Miles, All Smiles. Tail of the Dragon.

7 Attachment(s)
If you've seen my other thread I went down to the tail of the dragon this past week with my friends. IT was one of the best weekends ever. The roads down there are spectacular and have ruined anything we have over here for me. I had my doubts about how the car was going to hold up as I've never been on such a long trip with it. So I packed up some fluids and minor tools and hit the road. Nothing but smooth sailing all the way, was even getting 26mpg at 70-80mph!!

Oh and did I mentioned that after recharging the AC it was ice cold? That was really pleasant, otherwise I would have a massive headache from all the wind noise at that speed with the windows open.

Now onto the roads; for those not in the know, the tail of the dragon is an 11 mile stretch with around 318 turns. It takes all of your focus to do it well. I had a really big lunch and towards the end of my very first run I got a bit nauseous. But the second day I had it down pretty well, we were moving really good. In our cars the dragon is pretty much 2nd gear all the way through, about mid to high rpms.

The car was phenomenal, no complaints. I found that I didn't need more HP to run down higher HP cars, which are very cool for pulling on the side to let you pass. The only thing I wish I had was a damper with some adjustability to stiffen up a bit. My friend was running high spring rates in his street/track e30 and it was super flat everywhere.

Also did a night run, which is when the locals come out. That was a bit of a trippy experience, I found it took so much more focus to run it right. After coming to the pull off at the end I found I was sweating a bit. It also didn't help the locals were on my bumper and the RSX in front of our caravan was struggling a bit and losing his rear in some turns. But the locals are super cool and very open to give tips which were pretty helpful.

Overall, despite some of those roads being really crazy I believe I got closer to the car this weekend. Slowly and slowly I pushed a little and it delivers every time. I was really moving and I never felt the car getting uncomfortable or anything of the sort, not even coming close to limits. However this makes me want to try an AutoX or track day, or even skid pad, to see where the limits are and how it feels when it starts to get out.

What I want to say in finishing is, maintain them and please drive them because they can so do so much more than sit in the garage.

Attachment 1216469
Attachment 1216470
Attachment 1216471
Attachment 1216472
Attachment 1216473
Attachment 1216474
Attachment 1216475

Jjm4life 04-20-2016 01:32 AM

What a Great road. I know what you mean about feeling naseus
As I drank a few too many sazeracs the night before I hit the totd. Those are some sweet pics too.

fasterlaster 04-20-2016 03:41 AM

Thanks for sharing. Looks like a great time, and certainly an experience.

P-daddy 04-20-2016 08:47 AM

I hope to do this some day. Great photos btw.

911Jetta 04-20-2016 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mr.Alex (Post 13213895)
...I had my doubts about how the car was going to hold up as I've never been on such a long trip with it. So I packed up some fluids and minor tools and hit the road. Nothing but smooth sailing all the way, was even getting 26mpg at 70-80mph!!

My car is ready to drive across the country (I'm not sure I am though). That's way Porsches are so awesome. Everyday magic!

Oh and did I mentioned that after recharging the AC it was ice cold? That was really pleasant, otherwise I would have a massive headache from all the wind noise at that speed with the windows open.

Old school 911 looks, while enjoying AC on boring highway stretches. Love these cars.

...I found that I didn't need more HP to run down higher HP cars, which are very cool for pulling on the side to let you pass.

I've been on many group trips in the North Carolina mountains with various cars. I can say for a fact that a mostly stock 964 car hang with some really impressive cars. The combination of size, balance and brakes of a 964 means the other cars have a very, very hard time getting any distance on you.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-R...urbo%2B053.jpg

JB 911 04-20-2016 12:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Great pics. That's a great scenic turnout spot too, if you HAVE to stop, that is!

Mr.Alex 04-20-2016 01:22 PM

Thanks guys, it was quite an experience. The pics are great but they don't exactly come cheap, there are a few different companies taking pictures on the dragon. I suppose Killboy is the most famous one. But I would recommend everyone who can to take the trip down. You can download a pdf of the other local roads and enjoy, cause there won't be any reception once you are around 40minutes out. Maybe next year you can meet me there 911Jetta

911Jetta 04-20-2016 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mr.Alex (Post 13215703)
...Maybe next year you can meet me there 911Jetta

Reading your post makes me want to go more than ever! I hardly go West of Asheville as there are so many interesting side roads just a couple hours from the Raleigh area.

I'd definitely will try to make a big W9O Tail of the Dragon event in 2017?!

BTW, I like the picture of your crew. Love the variety.

Mr.Alex 04-21-2016 06:30 PM

Funny you should mention Asheville, I stayed there the night before heading down to Fontana. It was a pretty cool town, reminds me of slightly hipster-ish parts of Brooklyn. I also went to the Biltmore Estate which was just nuts.

Nilo964 04-29-2016 08:36 PM

Great pics! Thanks for sharing. Your car has an awesome stance. What damper/spring combo are you running? ...any other suspension mods?

Derek911 04-29-2016 09:54 PM

2000 miles... Cool. Sounds like a great trip. I'm with you, I will drive my car anywhere, as long as the weather cooperates. :) These cars are meant to be driven. I'm not impressed by low mileage cars, I'm more impressed by people who take their cars on long journeys. I have had more fun driving my car than looking at it in the garage. It is very cool when your car makes a trip like this and there are no issues. I have decided that of all my cars, my 964 is the one I will keep until I cant drive any more, so mileage or whatever I do to it matters only to me. I'm not entering a concourse, I'm not concerned with hurting value... this is for my enjoyment.

Mr.Alex 04-30-2016 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Nilo964 (Post 13244439)
Great pics! Thanks for sharing. Your car has an awesome stance. What damper/spring combo are you running? ...any other suspension mods?

Thanks!. My car is actually not as low as the pictures look, thats just the suspension hard at work in the corners. I'm currently on the Bilstein HD shocks with H&R Turbo red springs. Front control arm as SuperPro poly bushings all around. Also have the Rothsport poly steering rack bushings and the RS front sway bar. As well as the strut bar, if that really counts for much.

Originally Posted by Derek911 (Post 13244632)
2000 miles... Cool. Sounds like a great trip. I'm with you, I will drive my car anywhere, as long as the weather cooperates. :) These cars are meant to be driven. I'm not impressed by low mileage cars, I'm more impressed by people who take their cars on long journeys. I have had more fun driving my car than looking at it in the garage. It is very cool when your car makes a trip like this and there are no issues. I have decided that of all my cars, my 964 is the one I will keep until I cant drive any more, so mileage or whatever I do to it matters only to me. I'm not entering a concourse, I'm not concerned with hurting value... this is for my enjoyment.

:thumbup:
I agree with you all the way. I got a few of the, "Aren't you worried about miles?" and "Will it make the drive?" questions, but in all the years I had this car it never gave me cause to think it would die on me. But, sh*t does happen to everyone at one point or another and if it did not much I can do about that.