Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help please! really bad noises & stranded car...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 03:17 AM
Johannvb
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Glad you found the problem! If it is indeed a pressure plate bolt it is way too clean, I would recommend you check all the bolts on your flywheel and pressure plate. These bolts need to be installed with red Loctite.

Good luck with fixing it!
Old 06-07-2016, 11:05 AM
jmroach
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update for those interested. Dropped the engine and separated engine and tranny. The offending screw was actually from the transmission shaft guide tube... upon removal of the other one, which was loose- it does not appear as though it was secured w/ loctite... has anyone else had these come loose?

Here are a few pictures of the screw and the damage to the pressure plate:

new parts (mostly) on order. planning on replacing the clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, release fork shaft/bearings, and a bunch of gaskets and such. I gathered part number info from a number of posts (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...es-thread.html, https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...s-learned.html, etc.) and the PET. Here is the resulting parts list in hopes of expediting someone else's search:

Also- should some catch any errors/incompatibilities in the list. please let me know!

Thanks.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:34 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I see these installed with lock rite and a whack with a hand impact. But I've new done self. Clearly was not installed correctly sometime in the past. Looks like you got off lucky
Old 06-07-2016, 02:22 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by jmroach
The offending screw was actually from the transmission shaft guide tube... upon removal of the other one, which was loose- it does not appear as though it was secured w/ loctite... has anyone else had these come loose?
Those are installed dry because they will corrode themselves in place forcing you to almost have to drill them out.

Originally Posted by jmroach

What does the backside of your release fork (behind the receiving cup) look like? Did the screw wedge itself between the pressure plate and the release fork?
Old 06-07-2016, 03:27 PM
Blu RS
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Release fork not included?

Depending on the mileage on your release fork, you should probably replace that as well. The two ends of the release fork are effectively cams that have minimal to no lubrication and wear down over time, thereby altering the the "pick up point" where you feel the clutch engagement at your clutch pedal. In my opinion it would be false economy to overlook this important component particularly if it's got more than 50K miles on it. Just saying . . . . .
Old 06-07-2016, 08:47 PM
jmroach
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice guys. i may have to add the release fork as well. The current fork was spared as the screw actually lodged between the bell housing and the pressure plate. the bell housing has a couple very minor scratches, but looks fine overall.

something must have gone wrong with my corrosion cycle... the screw that didn't come out looks basically new and i believe this is the first time the clutch has been replaced (60k miles, good records and none of a clutch job.)

Quick Reply: Help please! really bad noises & stranded car...