http://clients.automanager.com/02031...c533/?Framed=1
Old 05-03-2016, 06:29 PM
dlb
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MGibilisco
This car appears very clean, and has pretty low mileage. Thoughts? $42.5k

Good color combo. Looks pretty stock. Interior looks like it's done more than 79k miles. The interior of my car (which has 73k) looks much less used. I learned a lot from the guys on here about the difference in desirability between C4 and C2's. I difficult for me to comment on the price point. Feels a little high perhaps. Best of luck.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:33 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by MGibilisco
This car appears very clean, and has pretty low mileage. Thoughts? $42.5k

My question would be why did the car need an engine out service to the tune of $18,000 at around 70K miles???
Old 05-03-2016, 07:35 PM
KOTYKB
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Earlydays
My question would be why did the car need an engine out service to the tune of $18,000 at around 70K miles???
It may have needed a top and bottom rebuild which could easily get that expensive depending on how far you dig
Old 05-03-2016, 07:49 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Kotyk
It may have needed a top and bottom rebuild which could easily get that expensive depending on how far you dig
I think that's very unusual to need it at 70K miles, unless there was some abuse and/or catastrophic failure....just my thoughts.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:23 PM
MGibilisco
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The $18k engine out service was my first question, to which he replied "that's normal" around 70-80k. I'm assuming there was an issue, but if it was rebuilt well it doesn't concern me much.

Some internet digging reveals he bought the car last October for $33k. I'm not opposed to profit, but I want to make sure it's in excellent condition.

C2 preferred, but they're hen's teeth these days.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:49 AM
RallyeChris
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Earlydays
I think that's very unusual to need it at 70K miles, unless there was some abuse and/or catastrophic failure....just my thoughts.
The previous owner of my car had a fairly comprehensive rebuilt at about 50,000 miles. The valve guides were starting to wear, leading to some smoke out the exhaust at start-up. Top-end was needed. But, while we are in there became re-ring and bearings. So, basically, a top-end at 50,000 miles became a rebuild. Piece of mind for the previous owner. A no-brainer for me when considering the purchase. She just ticked-over 60k miles, btw.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:15 PM
AKB991
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

I've really learned a lot from this post as I find myself in a similar position to dlb. I found a similar car - 964 coupe - and the seller was on top of getting back to me until... I told him I was in the process of setting up a local PPI and all of a sudden - my calls are not getting returned. I already know the outcome here but buyer's urge is so damn strong that I find myself still leaving him messages. I know, I know, take a hint, he doesn't want me to do a PPI for a reason. Let me ask you all - what are your reasons for having an independent shop do a PPI vs. the local Porsche dealership. I can think of reasons myself but then again, who better to assess the condition of a Porsche than Porsche ? Thanks all.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:23 PM
KOTYKB
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by AKB991
I've really learned a lot from this post as I find myself in a similar position to dlb. I found a similar car - 964 coupe - and the seller was on top of getting back to me until... I told him I was in the process of setting up a local PPI and all of a sudden - my calls are not getting returned. I already know the outcome here but buyer's urge is so damn strong that I find myself still leaving him messages. I know, I know, take a hint, he doesn't want me to do a PPI for a reason. Let me ask you all - what are your reasons for having an independent shop do a PPI vs. the local Porsche dealership. I can think of reasons myself but then again, who better to assess the condition of a Porsche than Porsche ? Thanks all.
If a seller is reluctant for an independent shop to perform a PPI, they're hiding something. At that point you're best off walking. Most people here go to independent air cooled shops because most Porsche dealers aren't as familiar with these cars anymore. Porsche hasn't made an air cooled car since the late 90's, thus they usually work on water cooled cars. Some independent shops around the Bay Area exclusively work on older Porsches thus are much more familiar with the diagnostics.

I missed out on my unicorn because of the same situation as you're going through. Another buyer came in and paid for the car without doing a PPI but he's a gambler and I'm not. I made data driven decisions and just looking at the surface of a car isn't enough for me considering the cost of mechanical repairs. Now if the car is a steal, then you have room for error if there are issues with the car that you weren't aware of.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:36 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Many dealers just don't have the skills of the Indy's with air cooled cars. Some do, many don't.
Old 05-06-2016, 02:00 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default Dealers may not know 964's

+1. The dealer in my area told me point blank they did not have a mechanic qualified to do my rebuild/reseal. They used to have an air cooled guy but like many people in Florida he retired.

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Many dealers just don't have the skills of the Indy's with air cooled cars. Some do, many don't.
Old 05-06-2016, 03:21 PM
dlb
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The overwhelming urge to buy, especially compounded by this notion of the market moving under your feet is strong. I almost let it get the better of me with the car at the beginning of this thread. I am exceptionally glad that I took the guidance of RL, both public comments and private messages I received. It lead me to posting a WTB and hearing from some real enthusiast sellers.

It actually didn't take me long from that point to find the right car. I got a little lucky I think. Great seller, great car and importantly solid PPI.

The urge is strong....but patience will be worth it. Best of luck.
Old 05-06-2016, 03:26 PM
AKB991
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

That's why RL is so incredible. Thank you to all who replied to my questions- it certainly makes all the sense in the world. As well, I will remain patient and I know it will happen one day...
In all fairness, I'm looking for a 964 but I do have a 991. I know, I know, poor baby. I will shut up and be happy.

Quick Reply: 964 ADVICE NEEDED - Close to buying this car