Sponsored by:

964 ADVICE NEEDED - Close to buying this car

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 06:48 PM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by dlb
The guys at the dealer I was talking with (Lux Sport) got a lot of stick on this forum. I found them to be decent guys, and honestly the car was solid. At least at first inspection. It was just priced to highly, and I think I have educated my self with the help of the inter webs to such a point that I knew I could do better for a little less. Not a lot less, but a little less.
It's not about being "nice." Hell, I'd be nice to you to if I was selling you a car that was $10k overpriced. Reading your reply reminded me of a now defunct regional clothing chain called Syms; their motto was "an educated consumer is our best customer." The Luxsports of the world are looking for the exact opposite of these types of customers. That red C4 coupe you looked at will sell; someone will come along and unknowingly spend low to mid $60's and will eventually either bite the bullet and spend another $10k+ or sell it at a loss.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:54 PM
mnmlod
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by u7t2p7
It's not about being "nice." Hell, I'd be nice to you to if I was selling you a car that was $10k overpriced. Reading your reply reminded me of a now defunct regional clothing chain called Syms; their motto was "an educated consumer is our best customer." The Luxsports of the world are looking for the exact opposite of these types of customers. That red C4 coupe you looked at will sell; someone will come along and unknowingly spend low to mid $60's and will eventually either bite the bullet and spend another $10k+ or sell it at a loss.
I agree. I think you saved yourself some money and grief by researching on this site.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:59 PM
dlb
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't see the word 'nice' in my post. I said decent. Decent infers something different. It means they were not pushy, they were knowledgeable and let me spend plenty of time driving a variety of cars. As I also stated, I am now educated enough to realize that the car is too highly priced. They are in business, it's what they do, so they a looking for a number that makes sense for that business. So go the wheels of capitalism.

I am not trying to make any claims beyond 'decent'. I thank you for your moment of vitriol though.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:02 PM
dhc905
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Not sure of the moral? Nice, educated sellers are now defunct and crooks are still in business?
Old 04-12-2016, 12:21 AM
u7t2p7
Banned

Originally Posted by dhc905
Not sure of the moral? Nice, educated sellers are now defunct and crooks are still in business?
Don't conflate nice with being honest (especially as it pertains to this dealer)
Old 04-12-2016, 12:30 AM
u7t2p7
Banned

Originally Posted by dlb
I don't see the word 'nice' in my post.
That's why I used the word "nice" in quotation marks. Maybe this will help you. Quotation marks can also be used to recognize when a word is not being used in its literal meaning. This happens quite often with personification (i.e., giving something a human trait).

PS. happy to educate you in your quest for a 964; the grammar thing...you're on your own
Old 04-12-2016, 12:39 AM
dhc905
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Don't conflate nice with being honest (especially as it pertains to this dealer)
10-4, that makes sense; hard to figure out from your original post
Old 04-12-2016, 12:41 AM
dlb
Rennlist Member

That's why I used the word "nice" in quotation marks. Maybe this will help you. Quotation marks can also be used to recognize when a word is not being used in its literal meaning. This happens quite often with personification (i.e., giving something a human trait).

PS. happy to educate you in your quest for a 964; the grammar thing...you're on your own
It's amazing how someone can humbly ask for advice, and receive it in large part from most people with no agenda but to help. I am grateful for that. So grateful that I am a paid up member after only ten days.

Thank you for your lesson on grammar, be cool to keep this about the cars though.

Oh, one last thing Shakespeare, is it personification when one is actually referencing a person? A real human person?
Old 04-12-2016, 09:49 AM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by dlb
The point about buying retail is really valid. I expect a great car, and after sales support. That's why you buy retail.
This argument is valid only if you are buying from a reputable dealer.

Originally Posted by dlb
I should add to this. The guys at the dealer I was talking with (Lux Sport) got a lot of stick on this forum.
There is a reason dealers like LuxSport and Victory have a bad reputation on the forums, there have been countless bad experiences over the years.

I understand your desire to get into the hype but don't be a glutton for punishment (saw your thread on the 993 forum). It is your decision and your money in the end, but if it were me I would rather be Porsche-less rather than dealing with questionable sellers. As a matter of fact, this is where we stand as I passed on 2 cars that were the "perfect" 964 for my wife simply due to the reseller's poor reputation. The cars may have been solid and it was a tough decision which stung, but the silver lining is that I still have my sanity (and $$).

You have the advantage of being local and having the ability to physically inspect the car, but I would still tread lightly and put this dealer way at the bottom of my list. Follow Nathan's great advice on the 993 board, there are some good resellers (dealers and private), stack as many odds in your favor and the right 964/993 will come.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:53 AM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 119 Posts

Personally, I would rather have a car that needed a little maintenance than one that was gone through by some hack flipper. Save yourself the hassle and find one that's a solid base for $35-$40 and budget the extra $10k or so to have repairs/maintenance done properly by a shop you know you can trust!
Old 04-12-2016, 12:15 PM
dlb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LPMM
This argument is valid only if you are buying from a reputable dealer.

There is a reason dealers like LuxSport and Victory have a bad reputation on the forums, there have been countless bad experiences over the years.

I understand your desire to get into the hype but don't be a glutton for punishment (saw your thread on the 993 forum). It is your decision and your money in the end, but if it were me I would rather be Porsche-less rather than dealing with questionable sellers. As a matter of fact, this is where we stand as I passed on 2 cars that were the "perfect" 964 for my wife simply due to the reseller's poor reputation. The cars may have been solid and it was a tough decision which stung, but the silver lining is that I still have my sanity (and $$).

You have the advantage of being local and having the ability to physically inspect the car, but I would still tread lightly and put this dealer way at the bottom of my list. Follow Nathan's great advice on the 993 board, there are some good resellers (dealers and private), stack as many odds in your favor and the right 964/993 will come.
I'm now on the same page. Just passed on the car I started this thread about based on this philosophy and the over pricing. I am still on the hunt, and will go private if possible. I have also been talking with Nathan, as a trusted dealer but also knowledgable guy that has been super helpful. Great community, that honestly has been a really welcome silver lining to hunting for my first Porsche.
Old 04-12-2016, 01:42 PM
aceking4u
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LPMM
I would still tread lightly and put this dealer way at the bottom of my list.
Breaking bad quotes <3
Old 04-12-2016, 02:09 PM
dlb
Rennlist Member

Top show
Old 04-12-2016, 03:03 PM
GP964
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

my C2 is for sale.....
Old 04-13-2016, 03:16 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Kotyk
I wouldn't buy a car from a dealer though, they're the ones trying to take advantage of the current buzz. I wonder where these dealer get their cars, why would an enthusiast sell a car to a mom and pop dealer? Most enthusiasts would rather sell their car to another enthusiast at a fair price and make it a smooth transaction. If the owner wasn't an enthusiast, the car probably hasn't been treated that well over the past ~25 years, that being said they were lazy and sold it off to an dealer.
experienced sellers almost always sell to dealers.
i will not sell to individual unless i either know you well or someone i trust know you well... why...

1. i really dont like to answer any questions or take any pic
2. i dont have time to coordinate ppi
3. i hate it when ppl are 2 min late coming to see the car. i really really just dont have time. i sleep 4 hours a day.
4. private buyers after paying may still come back asking you 80+ questions
5. private buyers, not all, but many are tire kicking
6. private buyers think they know the mkt, but they really dont. mkt is created by the resellers. if one wants to argue this point, then he doesn't understand the mkt period.
7. private buyers pay slow.
8. one call usually 10 min, dealers i work with will wire in 24 hours. then arrange for pick up. i do nothing. they do everything. (i however do not sell to shady dealers. some actually wants the car before they pay or they want to send me a cashier's chk. sorry, i am a banker. 50% of the cashiers' chk we see are fake. you wire, i get moeny first. then i ship the car. a real dealer understands that)

so as a seller, i and most others want convenience. saving 5 hours to me is worth losing 5k or 10k and just be done with it.

as a buyer, i buy the seller, not the car. if i trust the dealer or a private seller, i will pay up. sometimes 2x mkt price if i want the car. to me, the seller IS the car. i rarely go see the cars i buy and i have never done PPI on any cars i bought. i dont think i ever boght a bad car. i just need to chat with you on the phone or exchange a few emails then i will know what type of owner you are. then make a decision to buy or not buy.

but the buying part is fun. find the right car for YOU. and be patient.

the selling part i dont like to sell into private mkt for reasons above. when you sell as many cars as i have, you get tired very quickly.

sometimes you just got to be at the right place right time. i sold one car 3 weeks ago to a member here. i told him all the bad things about the car. he says he will fly up and see it, if it's not worse than i described, he will pay and drive home. he came up , saw, pay and drove home. he got quite a nice deal. he was recommended by someone here i know well. so i know he's not a tire kicker.

Quick Reply: 964 ADVICE NEEDED - Close to buying this car