Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 ADVICE NEEDED - Close to buying this car

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 10:17 AM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by dlb
I am not set on anything from Lux Sport, It just happens that local to me in NYC they have the most options at the moment. I do not plan on over paying or buying a donkey, form them or anyone. The advice I am receiving here is the difference maker. I'm searching everywhere for other options too.
Well we hope you end up with a great car that you enjoy!!!

Last edited by Boeing 717; 04-10-2016 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:17 PM
Mixter
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Too bad it's not a cab
Old 04-10-2016, 01:45 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by porscheandy
It's 2016. The reality is that these cars are @ 60 and headed higher.
A clean C2, yes. A C4 however, no so much. In the past few months clean C4s with lots of money and documented TLC have been listed in the 40s and I suspect sold somewhere in the 30s.
Old 04-10-2016, 04:59 PM
peter_jansen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by onevoice
Couple of points:
A cheap car that needs some work isn't the end of the world, if you can do the jobs yourself or know and trust a GOOD shop. At least you will be certain everything is done right.

Secondly, it's spring, go drive a cabriolet. I was only looking for a coupe when I test drove mine. One drive and I fell in love with it, the top is almost never up now. I still think a coupe looks better, but there is nothing like driving a cab. Also consider that a cab was probably more likely to have been a "nice day" car and it might be easier to find one in the condition you are looking for.
I bought a cab because it was a great price and condition, was local and was not likely to have seen winter and the salt that we use here. No rust anywhere. I know that cabs get knocked here but I don't regret it. Alone I drive with the top up but the wife and kids love the open air. I would have had to pay twice as much for a coupe. No regrets and I can always buy a hardtop. Doesn't hurt to try that route. I'm sure those of you who hate cabs will chime in but that won't change the economics of my purchase. Good luck with the hunt. That's some of the fun of these great cars.
Old 04-10-2016, 05:17 PM
mnmlod
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by peter_jansen
I bought a cab because it was a great price and condition, was local and was not likely to have seen winter and the salt that we use here. No rust anywhere. I know that cabs get knocked here but I don't regret it. Alone I drive with the top up but the wife and kids love the open air. I would have had to pay twice as much for a coupe. No regrets and I can always buy a hardtop. Doesn't hurt to try that route. I'm sure those of you who hate cabs will chime in but that won't change the economics of my purchase. Good luck with the hunt. That's some of the fun of these great cars.
I remember when I got my coupe. I wanted a Cab but settled for the Coupe because I had always wanted and still do want a Cab. My wife, finally allowed me to pull the trigger on a Porsche and the Coupe happened to be the nicest car I could find. So, I jumped on it before the wife changed her mind. I flew down to Southern California and had it in my garage the very next day. I haven't regretted the purchase since. It has been a wonderful car. Don't get me wrong, now. I'm still looking for a Cab,( something newer ) but I have to convince the wife that we need both. A herculean task.
Old 04-10-2016, 05:52 PM
peter_jansen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One can never own too many air cooled Porsches
Old 04-10-2016, 07:06 PM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by peter_jansen
I bought a cab
Originally Posted by mnmlod
I remember when I got my coupe. I wanted a cab.
You guys should swap!
Old 04-10-2016, 07:16 PM
KOTYKB
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Vandit
A clean C2, yes. A C4 however, no so much. In the past few months clean C4s with lots of money and documented TLC have been listed in the 40s and I suspect sold somewhere in the 30s.
I agree with this, a 1990-1991 extremely clean C4 lists for $40k but have been selling in the upper $30's. I'm working on negotiating a purchase right now on a low mileage 1990 C4 manual coupe but has a lot of minor leaks (many seals are bad) and electrical issues, probably a fair price is $30k considering the maintenance bill I would have out of the gate.
Old 04-10-2016, 07:29 PM
mnmlod
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by u7t2p7
You guys should swap!
I still like my coupe, a lot. So no trade. . I just want a newer Cab too. The Coupe has grown on me over the years. It'd be difficult to part with.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:00 PM
dlb
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Kotyk
I agree with this, a 1990-1991 extremely clean C4 lists for $40k but have been selling in the upper $30's. I'm working on negotiating a purchase right now on a low mileage 1990 C4 manual coupe but has a lot of minor leaks (many seals are bad) and electrical issues, probably a fair price is $30k considering the maintenance bill I would have out of the gate.
This (like much of this advice) is super helpful. Lux will be getting a call in the morning with an offer of what I think the car is worth. There is no way they will want to meet that and I will keep on looking. Already got some great leads from the fine people on RL and PP. I also think I want to focus on a C2 after hearing whats been said.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:09 AM
KOTYKB
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 63 Posts

Here is a C2 in the SF bay but it looks like a flipper

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5531850118.html
Old 04-11-2016, 02:18 AM
dgcate
Rennlist Member

There's better cars for the same
Old 04-11-2016, 02:19 AM
dgcate
Rennlist Member

There's better cars for the same $$.

I know how it is. When one's there (Lux) you're torn.

Wait for one where that feeling is minimized.

One man's opinion.

Good luck. Edit....I don't like buying cars that needs work the day it's bought...when paying retail...fwiw

When we get as ready as you are right now to buy a car...The right one usually is right around the corner.

Last edited by dgcate; 04-11-2016 at 02:34 AM.
Old 04-11-2016, 03:20 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

DO A VERY SERIOUS AND MAJOR PPI.
luxsports' car (i have seen them in my friend's shop).... not my kind of cars
Old 04-11-2016, 12:53 PM
dlb
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dgcate
There's better cars for the same $$.

I know how it is. When one's there (Lux) you're torn.

Wait for one where that feeling is minimized.

One man's opinion.

Good luck. Edit....I don't like buying cars that needs work the day it's bought...when paying retail...fwiw

When we get as ready as you are right now to buy a car...The right one usually is right around the corner.
Thorough PPi for sure. The car they have is solid, it's just too much money. I don't think we will agree on price. The point about buying retail (and paying a bunch of tax) is really valid. I expect a great car, and after sales support. That's why you buy retail. I have some great leads from this community that i'm following up on. I will say though, that some of the suggestions for what cars should cost seem optimistic. Even through this forum i'm seeing cars for sale with easy 100K+ miles that are still early 40's. Doesn't feel like solid versions of these cars are to be had at super reasonable prices any more.

Quick Reply: 964 ADVICE NEEDED - Close to buying this car