Sponsored by:

RS America prices and desirability

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 01:02 PM
TheSilverFox
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Hey, that's not all. Don't forget "paint correction" and nano coating whatever the F@ck that is.. We also talk about the general track use consensus for setup, what the best tires and brake pads are.. Oh wait crap no that was the 997GT3 forum before they were all bubble wrapped and now the 997GT3 forum is down to track stuff for sale threads and value threads..
Not to mention the hard ons around PTS. I like cool color car too but holy cow those guys live and die over color and options of their cars. I'm more worried about what going on in the car, while actually driving......

Unfortunately one consequence of Porsche increased popularity/value is a major increase to amount of time and energy considering and discussing nonsense.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:01 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bloose993TT
The RSA is the most overrated 964 for the money! Buy a solid late model C2 Coupe.
The absolute truth. They were nothing more than an option delete model put out by Porsche to create a cheaper entry level 911...but dressed up with the RS name and a whale tail. The RS saved a couple of hundred pounds of weight. It bears no resemblance to the Carrera RS that was released in Europe (and which saved almost 400 lbs of weight)...and which the motor press called almost undriveable on the average Euro street.

The RS America drove like a truck, the Recaro seats were a pain to get in and out of, and the cheap rear seat delete meant anything you put in the back would slide all over the place. However the sound deadening material they took out of the back did give the engine a nice burble on start up. However a stock 993 on 16" rims would eat an RS America's lunch.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:08 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by johnireland
The absolute truth. They were nothing more than an option delete model put out by Porsche to create a cheaper entry level 911...but dressed up with the RS name and a whale tail. The RS saved a couple of hundred pounds of weight. It bears no resemblance to the Carrera RS that was released in Europe (and which saved almost 400 lbs of weight)...and which the motor press called almost undriveable on the average Euro street.

The RS America drove like a truck, the Recaro seats were a pain to get in and out of, and the cheap rear seat delete meant anything you put in the back would slide all over the place. However the sound deadening material they took out of the back did give the engine a nice burble on start up. However a stock 993 on 16" rims would eat an RS America's lunch.
Hahahahaha. Please pass the pipe. Hahahahaha
The following users liked this post:
TYPE911 (04-06-2022)
Old 04-17-2016, 11:20 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 92 Posts

Unbelievable amount of car for the money http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...red-black.html
Old 04-17-2016, 11:31 PM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Unbelievable amount of car for the money http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...red-black.html
Clearly you don't follow this market.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:59 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by u7t2p7
Clearly you don't follow this market.
So you are saying this is a fair deal? I'm lost.
Old 04-18-2016, 01:41 AM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by K964
Hahahahaha. Please pass the pipe. Hahahahaha
The only thing more overrated than the RS America was the 1989 Speedster. A real pretender. The 1994 Speedster was a little better, but again they are just gimmicks with no real performance value.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:26 AM
u7t2p7
Banned

So you are saying this is a fair deal? I'm lost.
Way overpriced; perhaps I didn't see your "wink" given my poor eyesight and small cellphone screen!
Old 04-18-2016, 10:46 AM
u7t2p7
Banned

The only thing more overrated than the RS America was the 1989 Speedster. A real pretender. The 1994 Speedster was a little better, but again they are just gimmicks with no real performance value.
I think Porsche did a great job in developing and marketing these two examples. The Speedster cost about $6k ($59K to 65K) more than the 3.2 Cab and for that premium you got not only a widebody but a unique, limited edition example that was radically different than the standard 3.2 Cab. The problem was the collectors and speculators went crazy and bid up the secondary market to close to $100k at introduction...followed by a crash in the market. As for the RSA, this simplified coupe was actually less expensive than it's C2 counterpart. I give kudos to Porsche for their pricing strategy. They made no illusions about comparing this to a European RS. So I don't think Porsche was "pretending" but rather offering a variation of both models to the standard of these respective years. Also, it took a very long time for prices of both these models to recover from their lows. My first Porsche was an 1989 Speedster, purchased around 2002 from a Porsche dealer in North Carolina. The price included enclosed delivery about 800 miles away; cost was $39,000. My RSA I purchased in 2005 for less than $20,000, albeit with 100k one owner miles. That being said I personally would never pay today's prices for either of these models.

One interesting fact; the 1989 Speedster was the rare example whereas the widebody was actually less expensive than its narrowbody counterpart, primarily due to the fact that only a handful of NB versions were manufactured for the European market.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:05 AM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by u7t2p7
I think Porsche did a great job in developing and marketing these two examples. The Speedster cost about $6k ($59K to 65K) more than the 3.2 Cab and for that premium you got not only a widebody but a unique, limited edition example that was radically different than the standard 3.2 Cab. The problem was the collectors and speculators went crazy and bid up the secondary market to close to $100k at introduction...followed by a crash in the market. As for the RSA, this simplified coupe was actually less expensive than it's C2 counterpart. I give kudos to Porsche for their pricing strategy. They made no illusions about comparing this to a European RS. So I don't think Porsche was "pretending" but rather offering a variation of both models to the standard of these respective years. Also, it took a very long time for prices of both these models to recover from their lows. My first Porsche was an 1989 Speedster, purchased around 2002 from a Porsche dealer in North Carolina. The price included enclosed delivery about 800 miles away; cost was $39,000. My RSA I purchased in 2005 for less than $20,000, albeit with 100k one owner miles. That being said I personally would never pay today's prices for either of these models.

One interesting fact; the 1989 Speedster was the rare example whereas the widebody was actually less expensive than its narrowbody counterpart, primarily due to the fact that only a handful of NB versions were manufactured for the European market.
This has been a Porsche marketing strategy since the original Speedster back in the 50's (and look at those values now!). There are several examples that have been produced that did not have 'real performance gains'. Due to their lower production numbers, their values have climbed more so than their higher production (and often more expensive at time of original sale) counterparts. Look at even the 993 C2S - values have climbed considerably and it was a car that only had the wide body and no performance gains. It is all about supply and demand.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:26 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Porsche as been doing the stripper delete options since the 1967 with the R, the changes are always subtle and vilified as paying way more to get way less. As much as the RSA gets dissed against the euro RS, there was only so much Porsche could do and get it into the US. The 73RS touring was a poser compared to the lightweight, but they still command a $1M price.

It continues to this day, even the 991R has narrower wheels, a manual six speed box and only 110lbs lighter (Including the the sunroof and aircon delete) what Idiot would even by such a poser...

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-show...11-r-revealed/

But people are paying way more than retail for these. Arguing against the market is like shouting at the wind, the values speak for themselves...
Old 04-18-2016, 05:38 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by J richard
Can't even imagine what those are trading for now....
One just listed for $375k on RL

Phil
Old 04-18-2016, 11:30 PM
RSA964993
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 78 Posts

I have a RSA that is one of those that has been converted to a track car (PCA racer H Prepared...). I'd like to hold onto it and convert it back to a street car but not do a full restoration deal. My plan is to get it back to something that looks like an RSA but a nod to its racing roots (meaning it's time as a racer with me...) and enjoy it. Kind of like a 964/RSA Singer deal but without the Singer price tag. Anybody have a good outfit that could pull this off in the SE (I'm in Charlotte)? Most of the work would be making it streetable, interior work and then some exterior cosmetics. Let me know. Thanks.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:47 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

^^ Kinda like my hot rod..
My interior never left but once the car was done PCA racing I cleaned it up added AC but left full cage, fire system and sliding race seats.

Like its 1993 and I went out and made a stock RSA race legal without removing anything and only adding go faster and safety stuff.

Quick Reply: RS America prices and desirability