Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Caliper Hard Lines – Do I need them? Has anyone replaced with an alternative?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 08:23 AM
Evil Bunny
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Brake Caliper Hard Lines – Do I need them? Has anyone replaced with an alternative?

The hard caliper lines that attach the caliper to the rubber hose, which in turn connects back to a hard caliper line within the car body.

The hard lines over time prove difficult to undo without twisting and damaging and although replacing the discs is possible without dis-connecting them there is always a concern.

Has anyone or is there any reason why I can/should not run a custom braided stainless hose from the hard caliper line in the body, where the rubber hose emanates, and run this straight to the caliper? Mimicking the route and cable length?

Or as an alternative, leave the rubber hose in place and replace the hard caliper line with a flexible braided stainless steel hose.

Any input appreciated
Old 03-27-2016, 11:51 AM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just replaced the last two components in this chain at each corner; the soft lines, and the final hardlines to the calipers. The only reason I had to replace the hardlines was that the fittings wouldn't turn on the lines, so the lines got twisted.

Porsche had to have had a reason to have that last hardline in there; the two most obvious to me would be a) heat resistance under repeated heavy braking, and b) absolute control over the position of the soft line.

To be honest, I don't think that a longer softline would offer either of those.

Further, the mount points at the body and associated hardware are all setup for the factory parts, so you'd have to do some inventing to get the revised assembly integrated nicely.

Not saying it can't be done, but make sure you're aware of the original design intent and apprised of any associated challenges.
Old 03-27-2016, 01:30 PM
Evil Bunny
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had to replace the hardlines for the exact same reason, which brought about this thought.

Trying to ascertain if the reason Porsche used hardlines was cost or a technical reason.

The softline is held between two brackets and is fixed solidly, it assists with vibration etc, I do not think absolute position is an issue, however heat and fade may well be!

I have previously owned a race car with stainless lines straight to calipers without issue, but the car was a lot lighter than a 964.

Found this link

http://www.racingbrake.com/mobile/Pr...ctCode=RBL-006

Quick Reply: Brake Caliper Hard Lines – Do I need them? Has anyone replaced with an alternative?