Default Million $ 1994 Porsche 964 Turbo 3.6 S Flachbau

1994 Porsche 964 Turbo 3.6 S Flachbau From the Jerry Seinfeld Collection
Estimate: $1,000,000 - $1,300,000 - SOLD $1,017,500

Chassis: WP0AC2968RS480403
Engine: 61R00895

http://www.goodingco.com/vehicle/199...-6-s-flachbau/

One of Only 76 Examples of the Porsche Exclusive-Built 964 Turbo 3.6 S Flachbau
Equipped with High-Performance Code X88 Engine

One of 39 US-Spec Models Built; the Sole Example Finished in Polar Silver Metallic
Just Three Private Owners and Just Over 12,500 Miles from New
Complete with Handbooks, Tool Roll, and Certificate of Authenticity

PROVENANCE
Dr. Randall Riegler, Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida (acquired new in February 1994 via Brumos Motor Cars)
Paul Zuckerman, Beverly Hills, California (acquired in April 2014)
Jerry Seinfeld (acquired from the above)

LITERATURE
Andreas Gabriel, Porsche 911 Turbo – Air Cooled Years, model discussed pp. 154-163

THIS CAR
“The sound this car makes at about 6,000 rpm out of those hand-formed fender vents is worth whatever this one costs. So weird, so cool, so rare.” – Jerry Seinfeld

In August 1993, as production of the 964 was nearing its conclusion, Porsche informed its dealer network of a final and limited series of special Turbo S Flachbau – or flatnose – models to be built under the auspices of the factory’s Exclusive Department.

Based on the popular Turbo 3.6, the Turbo S incorporated myriad cosmetic and mechanical improvements, and most featured a new variation of Porsche’s famous flatnose front-end treatment, with pop-up headlights sourced from the contemporary 928/968 series. This limited series also featured Porsche Exclusive-designed front and rear bumpers, 959-style rear-quarter air vents, a special body-color rear spoiler, and unique Turbo S badging.

At the heart of the Turbo 3.6 S Flachbau was the high-performance Type M64/50S engine, developed for the 1994 model year and internally designated by production code X88. The X88 option was, in essence, a factory derivative of the 1993 IMSA 3.6 Turbo engine that had been built by Andial for the Brumos racing team.

Featuring a larger turbocharger, revised camshafts, redesigned cylinder heads, modified inlet manifolds, and adjustments to valve timing, the X88 engine was conservatively rated at 385 bhp – a gain of 30 bhp over the already potent Turbo 3.6. Beyond the internal engine modifications, the X88 option also included a front-mounted auxiliary oil cooler and distinctive four-pipe exhaust system. The fine-tuning resulted in a 911 that possessed supercar performance, with 0-60 mph sprints taking just 4.7 seconds and a top speed approaching 175 mph.

Porsche built just 76 examples of the 964 Turbo 3.6 S Flachbau, all completed between November 1993 and January 1994. Despite their limited production run, these Turbo S models were built to suit the specific demands of three markets, ultimately dividing the series into distinct groups.

The first group, designated by code X83, was built specifically for the Japanese market. These 10 cars, all configured in left-hand drive and identically finished in Polar Silver Metallic, were distinguished by their unique Flachbau treatment, which made use of the earlier 930/944-style front end, along with 930-style boxed rocker panels and rear-quarter air vents. The second group, designated by code X84, consisted of Rest-of-World models, of which 27 examples were built – 15 configured in left-hand drive and 12 in right-hand drive. The X84 cars featured the more modern Flachbau treatment, and most were delivered to Singapore and Germany. Cars in the third group, designated by code X85, were built for the US market and similar in style to the X84 Rest-of-World models, but with minor cosmetic differences. In all, 39 examples of the X85 Turbo S 3.6 Flachbau were built – the majority painted Black or Guards Red.

When new, these exclusive Turbo S models were sold to Porsche’s most important customers, including Vasek Polak; the Sultan of Brunei; and NBA superstar Michael Jordan. Today, these rare cars represent the final evolution of the original Porsche Turbo line – the very last of the rear-wheel-drive, single-turbo cars produced continuously from 1975 to 1994. As testament to their historical significance and important place in the company’s history, a Turbo 3.6 S Flachbau was among a limited number of cars selected to take part in the Porsche Museum’s exhibit commemorating the 25th anniversary of the Exclusive Department.

The X85 Flachbau presented here, chassis no. 480403, is believed to be the sole example originally finished in Polar Silver Metallic. As evidenced by its factory production codes, this car was originally optioned with driver’s seat four-way electrical lumbar support, sunroof, 18″ polished three-piece Speedline wheels, wheel caps with the Porsche crest, and draped Classic Grey leather upholstery. According to Mark Smith’s comprehensive Flachbau registry, this car originally commanded a staggering $164,866 MSRP.

Completed on December 3, 1993, this Turbo S was sold new through Brumos Porsche and delivered to its first owner, Dr. Randall Riegler of Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida, in February 1994. It is believed that Dr. Riegler retained the Porsche for over two decades and drove it sparingly, finally selling the car in spring 2014. Jerry Seinfeld acquired the Flachbau from a discerning Southern California-based collection, and it has been an important part of the Seinfeld stable since.

This Porsche Exclusive-built Turbo S presents in as-new condition, showing just 12,545 miles at the time of cataloguing. As would be expected of a well-kept, low-mileage example, this car remains in outstanding original order and is accompanied by its tool roll, air compressor, and handbook folio, including the owner’s manual, radio manual, dealer directory, and the warranty and customer information book.

Rarely offered on the open market, any Turbo 3.6 S is a prize for collectors. As such, this low-mileage, Polar Silver X85 Flachbau offered from The Jerry Seinfeld Collection is surely among the most desirable Porsche Turbos ever built.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:54 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Anyone have photos or details on how those fender vents get ducted into the engine compartment?
Old 03-14-2016, 01:03 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,167 Posts

Sadly they don't they are purely cosmetic and half the info posted is incorrect. The car sounds no different than a stock 3.6T. I just wish I purchased my friend Mike's for $130k when I had the chance. They are 968 and not 928 headlights BTW.
Old 03-14-2016, 03:31 PM
18T_BT
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't believe it went for that much ...
Old 03-14-2016, 03:36 PM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

I like everything about the car...except the headlight design. Reminds me of my 968.

Sloan had two in his inventory a few years back; mid $300's I believe and priced ahead of the market at the time.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:07 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by u7t2p7
I like everything about the car...except the headlight design. Reminds me of my 968.

Sloan had two in his inventory a few years back; mid $300's I believe and priced ahead of the market at the time.
One of those was the one I should have purchased. He had a black one he brought to a concours event last summer he was asking $925 for.

I guess it looks like a 968 since it uses 968 headlights.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:40 AM
Speed-Star
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Good to see my name and our book (Norbert Franz + Andreas Gabriel) here.

Why is Seinfeld selling all these wonderful cars?

I do not understand...!

Andreas

Originally Posted by 911Jetta

1994 Porsche 964 Turbo 3.6 S Flachbau From the Jerry Seinfeld Collection
Estimate: $1,000,000 - $1,300,000 - SOLD $1,017,500

Chassis: WP0AC2968RS480403
Engine: 61R00895

http://www.goodingco.com/vehicle/199...-6-s-flachbau/

One of Only 76 Examples of the Porsche Exclusive-Built 964 Turbo 3.6 S Flachbau
Equipped with High-Performance Code X88 Engine

One of 39 US-Spec Models Built; the Sole Example Finished in Polar Silver Metallic
Just Three Private Owners and Just Over 12,500 Miles from New
Complete with Handbooks, Tool Roll, and Certificate of Authenticity

PROVENANCE
Dr. Randall Riegler, Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida (acquired new in February 1994 via Brumos Motor Cars)
Paul Zuckerman, Beverly Hills, California (acquired in April 2014)
Jerry Seinfeld (acquired from the above)

LITERATURE
Andreas Gabriel, Porsche 911 Turbo – Air Cooled Years, model discussed pp. 154-163

THIS CAR
“The sound this car makes at about 6,000 rpm out of those hand-formed fender vents is worth whatever this one costs. So weird, so cool, so rare.” – Jerry Seinfeld

In August 1993, as production of the 964 was nearing its conclusion, Porsche informed its dealer network of a final and limited series of special Turbo S Flachbau – or flatnose – models to be built under the auspices of the factory’s Exclusive Department.

Based on the popular Turbo 3.6, the Turbo S incorporated myriad cosmetic and mechanical improvements, and most featured a new variation of Porsche’s famous flatnose front-end treatment, with pop-up headlights sourced from the contemporary 928/968 series. This limited series also featured Porsche Exclusive-designed front and rear bumpers, 959-style rear-quarter air vents, a special body-color rear spoiler, and unique Turbo S badging.

At the heart of the Turbo 3.6 S Flachbau was the high-performance Type M64/50S engine, developed for the 1994 model year and internally designated by production code X88. The X88 option was, in essence, a factory derivative of the 1993 IMSA 3.6 Turbo engine that had been built by Andial for the Brumos racing team.

Featuring a larger turbocharger, revised camshafts, redesigned cylinder heads, modified inlet manifolds, and adjustments to valve timing, the X88 engine was conservatively rated at 385 bhp – a gain of 30 bhp over the already potent Turbo 3.6. Beyond the internal engine modifications, the X88 option also included a front-mounted auxiliary oil cooler and distinctive four-pipe exhaust system. The fine-tuning resulted in a 911 that possessed supercar performance, with 0-60 mph sprints taking just 4.7 seconds and a top speed approaching 175 mph.

Porsche built just 76 examples of the 964 Turbo 3.6 S Flachbau, all completed between November 1993 and January 1994. Despite their limited production run, these Turbo S models were built to suit the specific demands of three markets, ultimately dividing the series into distinct groups.

The first group, designated by code X83, was built specifically for the Japanese market. These 10 cars, all configured in left-hand drive and identically finished in Polar Silver Metallic, were distinguished by their unique Flachbau treatment, which made use of the earlier 930/944-style front end, along with 930-style boxed rocker panels and rear-quarter air vents. The second group, designated by code X84, consisted of Rest-of-World models, of which 27 examples were built – 15 configured in left-hand drive and 12 in right-hand drive. The X84 cars featured the more modern Flachbau treatment, and most were delivered to Singapore and Germany. Cars in the third group, designated by code X85, were built for the US market and similar in style to the X84 Rest-of-World models, but with minor cosmetic differences. In all, 39 examples of the X85 Turbo S 3.6 Flachbau were built – the majority painted Black or Guards Red.

When new, these exclusive Turbo S models were sold to Porsche’s most important customers, including Vasek Polak; the Sultan of Brunei; and NBA superstar Michael Jordan. Today, these rare cars represent the final evolution of the original Porsche Turbo line – the very last of the rear-wheel-drive, single-turbo cars produced continuously from 1975 to 1994. As testament to their historical significance and important place in the company’s history, a Turbo 3.6 S Flachbau was among a limited number of cars selected to take part in the Porsche Museum’s exhibit commemorating the 25th anniversary of the Exclusive Department.

The X85 Flachbau presented here, chassis no. 480403, is believed to be the sole example originally finished in Polar Silver Metallic. As evidenced by its factory production codes, this car was originally optioned with driver’s seat four-way electrical lumbar support, sunroof, 18″ polished three-piece Speedline wheels, wheel caps with the Porsche crest, and draped Classic Grey leather upholstery. According to Mark Smith’s comprehensive Flachbau registry, this car originally commanded a staggering $164,866 MSRP.

Completed on December 3, 1993, this Turbo S was sold new through Brumos Porsche and delivered to its first owner, Dr. Randall Riegler of Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida, in February 1994. It is believed that Dr. Riegler retained the Porsche for over two decades and drove it sparingly, finally selling the car in spring 2014. Jerry Seinfeld acquired the Flachbau from a discerning Southern California-based collection, and it has been an important part of the Seinfeld stable since.

This Porsche Exclusive-built Turbo S presents in as-new condition, showing just 12,545 miles at the time of cataloguing. As would be expected of a well-kept, low-mileage example, this car remains in outstanding original order and is accompanied by its tool roll, air compressor, and handbook folio, including the owner’s manual, radio manual, dealer directory, and the warranty and customer information book.

Rarely offered on the open market, any Turbo 3.6 S is a prize for collectors. As such, this low-mileage, Polar Silver X85 Flachbau offered from The Jerry Seinfeld Collection is surely among the most desirable Porsche Turbos ever built.
Old 05-23-2016, 04:38 PM
Madturk
Three Wheelin'

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

The price difference between this car and mine is almost million dollars
Nuts
Old 05-23-2016, 05:46 PM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Nice car, they are much better looking in person. For $1 mil I'd rather have a Carrera GT and leftover cash for a few more toys
Old 05-27-2016, 05:03 PM
spivy3.6
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo S

I am thinking of bringing ours to PCA Parade 2016.
Attached Images  
Old 05-27-2016, 05:28 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by spivy3.6
I am thinking of bringing ours to PCA Parade 2016.
Do it! It will look great next to the Harris RS
https://www.pca.org/news/2016-05-17/...will-be-parade

Old 05-29-2016, 08:13 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Please do I will be there with my turbo in preparation class and I believe I will be judging but not sure what class.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:44 AM
NoSub Dan
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Seinfeld selling his cars tells me the market may have topped out.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:04 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NoSub Dan
Seinfeld selling his cars tells me the market may have topped out.
Not at all. He has so many anyhow. Quality cars are still rising the rest are settling out.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:04 AM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you sell your car NoSubDan?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Million $ 1994 Porsche 964 Turbo 3.6 S Flachbau