Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil line fit still bad - New Porsche Part

Old 03-13-2016, 05:34 PM
Super90
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Oil line fit still bad - New Porsche Part

So I just picked up a new oil line from the thermostat to the oil filter housing. Brand new part from Porsche. Says Conti on it, so this is not a Cohline part. Porsche still have an issue with fit, as others noted in previous threads, such as this one: https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...-resolved.html

And here are my pics:

I was going to reuse my original fittings and have the hose rebuilt, but someone got a little western with them somewhere along the line, and I thought it best to just buy new. Here are a few pictures of what concerned me.

Original fitting in place

Not sure of the best route now. We'll see how the local dealer is about taking the part back.

Was putting everything back together, and this shut us down for today. Very disappointed....
Old 03-13-2016, 07:28 PM
jpar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm wondering if you put a ltitle more bend in the 90 going over the control arm , if it wouldn't alleviate the strain on the rubber hose.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:36 PM
Super90
Burning Brakes

Probably would but I don't feel like I should have to modify a part I just paid top dollar for. Even with a discount it's basically $300 for this hose. I figured for that price it should fit perfectly and I could avoid all the fitment issues.

Probably calling Elephant Racing for their hose components...

Last edited by Super90; 03-13-2016 at 08:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Alpine_Racer (10-03-2019)
Old 03-13-2016, 08:29 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,728 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I think I read somewhere about this... put a hose clamp near that area with the kink... to "straighten" it and it'll work itself out.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:53 PM
jpar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Super90
Probably would but I don't feel like I should have to modify a part I just paid top dollar for. Even with a discount it's basically $300 for this hose. I figured for that price it should fit perfectly and I could avoid all the fitment issues.

Probably calling Elephant Racing for their hose components...
I agree 100%, especially since we're forced to pay the porsche tax. I'd still give it a shot anyway, you already have the hose and if it doesn't work, you're returning it anyway.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:07 PM
Super90
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jpar
I agree 100%, especially since we're forced to pay the porsche tax. I'd still give it a shot anyway, you already have the hose and if it doesn't work, you're returning it anyway.
I don't think I'd have much luck trying to return a hose that I tried to "modify" to fit. At least that is the way my luck would run. : )
Old 03-14-2016, 12:49 AM
perelet
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That pipe is real pita to fit. I spent long time fiddling , at the end everything clicked right in place. You need to connect all small rubber hoses and jam tank in place. Once you put oil tank in place - it will push line and kink will be gone. Sorry no majic trick there - just sweat and time

Here are few pics:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ml#post8659592

PS I seen some people reuse ends and let hydraulic service press in new hose. I'll be very cautios about that appoarch - feels that plus/minus few mm's can make part not usable.
Oleg

Last edited by perelet; 03-14-2016 at 02:48 AM.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:15 AM
Super90
Burning Brakes

So did you use the Porsche replacement or an OE replacement (Cohline?)?

If the former, did you not have issues with the rubber hose section kinking as pictured?

Seems the people that are reusing their end fittings and replacing the rubber hose section are having better luck lately.

Thanks
Old 03-14-2016, 01:32 AM
perelet
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Super90
So did you use the Porsche replacement or an OE replacement (Cohline?)?
Factory piece, if you click at link in my post you'll see this:

One expen$ive oil ho$se (also pain to fit!):

Old 03-14-2016, 05:14 AM
Super90
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by perelet
Factory piece, if you click at link in my post you'll see this:

One expen$ive oil ho$se (also pain to fit!):
Navigating on my phone so pictures are small.

So.....how did you make it fit? How did you amend the kink? I don't see any details on the procedure in the link referenced.

Thanks.

Last edited by Super90; 03-29-2016 at 12:12 PM.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:46 AM
Super90
Burning Brakes

So I have finally resolved the issue in my car by going with the hose components as provided by Elephant Racing. Chuck and his group were very helpful. They nailed it on this application. The "Black Cloth Oil Hose" they sell is by far, the closest to original I have found in terms of construction and dimensions. Other than the green stripes, it looks and measures identical to the original one. It has the wire mesh reinforcement, just like the original, that totally prevents the crimping issue. This was certainly not the case for the current Porsche replacement hose, or the OE hose that I tried.

I discovered this hose is made by Parker and is available through them, in case Elephant is not convenient for you. It's Parker's 213-16 "Transportation" hose as seen in their catalog. Note that the ferrules are not available through Parker. Those seem to be Cohline components. Ironically my local Parker supplier (two miles from my house) had plenty of the hose in stock....oh well, who knew?

Also interesting, when I returned the Porsche part, Roger Reynolds, one of the more seasoned gentlemen there at the Porsche Plano Parts Department, knew that Porsche replacement hose doesn't work well, and has had long "discussions" with the techs about that not being the correct part as it kinks. He had seen this issue more than once, and gladly took the part back. Thank you Roger !

Finally, Dennis at Zim's Autotechnik was able to straighten out the dings in my original fittings so we could make them work. He has the Cohline crimping tools to make hoses and assembled all the bits. He now has sourced the same Parker hose stock so he is ready to deal with this ! Many thanks !

Hope this helps someone in the future....

Last edited by Super90; 12-09-2017 at 07:07 PM.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:01 PM
dsan
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 13 Posts

Great news! Glad you finally got it all sorted out! Elephant Racing will definitely be the way I go when I replace the cooler to thermostat lines.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:25 PM
Meatball964
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Different hose but the thread title works. This replacement hose is the correct part # but as you can see it comes up short. I don't want to clean/reuse the old one as the rubber feels hardened. Anyone else have this problem ?
Old 12-09-2017, 04:44 PM
Richard H
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There are two types of hose depending on your thermostat part number. 96420724106 and 96420724104 for the hose. If the first image shows the one you took off then you need the 06 part number and looks like you have the 04 part number.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:16 PM
Super90
Burning Brakes

Richard H is absolutely correct, there are different part numbers for that hose on the top of the thermostat.

I just looked at Pelican Parts and it looks like the -06 suffix does have the same bends as what your original hose shows...

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/ksearch/pel_search_2016.cgi?command=DWsearch&LastVisited_input=0834&make=POR&des cription=96420724106

I remember I ended up with both styles when doing all my hoses there....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil line fit still bad - New Porsche Part