Sponsored by:

GasCap Under Pressure!!!!! ft. David Bowie

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 04:29 PM
kokolyia
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Default GasCap Under Pressure!!!!! ft. David Bowie

I recently got my C4 and whenever I go to fill it up with gas, lots of air pressure is released when I undo the cap. With the weather getting back to its usual unbearable humidity and heat more and more pressure is being released each time I fill it up. Any ideas on what my problem may be? Any solutions? Thanks
Old 03-10-2016, 04:44 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

One of be issues is that we switch to summer gasoline in mid March. That summer gasoline w low rvp shows up at the pump after the winter supplies are exhausted. So part of your issue it you are using gasoline that has been butanized for winter. Butane has an rvp of around 60...summer gasoline is iirc, around 6.9 ....

So long story short. Winter gasoline evaporates way faster than summer. But because we aren't in the hot months yet, the govt allows higher rvp all winter.

If it's still wierd in a few weeks, yu may want to look at the tank ventilation...
Old 03-10-2016, 06:10 PM
kokolyia
Pro

Originally Posted by Goughary
One of be issues is that we switch to summer gasoline in mid March. That summer gasoline w low rvp shows up at the pump after the winter supplies are exhausted. So part of your issue it you are using gasoline that has been butanized for winter. Butane has an rvp of around 60...summer gasoline is iirc, around 6.9 ....

So long story short. Winter gasoline evaporates way faster than summer. But because we aren't in the hot months yet, the govt allows higher rvp all winter.

If it's still wierd in a few weeks, yu may want to look at the tank ventilation...
Interesting, do you happen to know if Florida uses winter gasoline?
Old 03-11-2016, 01:02 PM
Goughary
Race Car

You know...I shoulda known that. Sorry, forgot you were in Florida.

In 2014 the state moved from a 7.8 rvp to a 9 rvp to relax gas prices. Not sure if they switched back yet...

So maybe check the ventilation on the tank...that's more likely your issue...
Old 03-11-2016, 01:29 PM
kokolyia
Pro

Originally Posted by Goughary
You know...I shoulda known that. Sorry, forgot you were in Florida.

In 2014 the state moved from a 7.8 rvp to a 9 rvp to relax gas prices. Not sure if they switched back yet...

So maybe check the ventilation on the tank...that's more likely your issue...
What are some of the possible culprits? I've been doing a lot of research but (this issue seems to be more prevalent with the 996 and the 968) have not found much of anything related to this issue with the 964. Has anyone had this issue here? If so what did you do?
Old 03-11-2016, 03:52 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Ok last bit on the gasoline. We are 13.5 rvp winter in Florida and in late April it switches to 9 rvp. At the terminals, they need to be 11.5 by April 1.

You may want to change the carbon filter under the left wheel well. It's 25 yrs old and has never been changed probably.

Quick Reply: GasCap Under Pressure!!!!! ft. David Bowie