Sponsored by:

Oil lines to case

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 12:04 PM
Super90
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks Cobalt.

I cleaned things up quite a bit and have all the oil lines off to be replaced. I agree, the crush washer is probably not the issue, but while I'm there, I figure might as well replace it. As the heat exchangers are off, I'm replacing the oil return tubes since it's so easy now.

I will not use anything (teflon, locktite, etc.) upon reassembly of the lines to the case.

I will be doing lots more cleaning before reassembling. I have the oil tank out and the oil line going from the t-stat to the oil filter hosing being rebuilt today. Flushing all the lines (though all but that one will be new), t-stat, tank, etc. with Naptha.

Will just have to reassemble and see what else might be leaking, though I think you are correct, there are other culprits we will discover. I think some of this might be left over from years of not being cleaned. I've already attacked the usual suspects on the topside (breather gasket, oil sending unit o-ring, breather hoses). Looked like an axle seal was leaking, so I replaced both those. PS was leaking before I purchased, and the drive gasket was replaced on the end of the cam shaft before I took possession. I don't think it was cleaned after that.

Last edited by Super90; 03-08-2016 at 12:25 PM.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:38 AM
NateSaJack
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just replaced both of there oil lines due to corrosion rather than leaky joints, however I was really surprised when the ali sealing ring came away as two pieces having corroded overs its life.

I researched the whole teflon tape idea but in the end just got the new lines and new rings nice and tight. I cleaned up the connectors marked '23' above. No leaks so far
Old 03-09-2016, 01:55 PM
apanossi
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've got my engine out for a reseal. I will be using Permatex #2 on the oil line couplers. Have heard favorable reports from folks using them for similar applications on other forums. I will let you know how it holds up in the coming months.

Quick Reply: Oil lines to case