Sponsored by:

toddler car seat?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 03:06 AM
etom
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts
Default toddler car seat?

I've seen and gone through the older threads on installing a front-facing car seat in the back of a 993/964 (for a toddler, 2-3 years old). Anyone done it lately? Using what brand seat (models seem to come and go)? Apparently narrow bottom of the car seat is the way to go . . . advice?

1992 C2. Cat bypass, primary bypass, polar silver, 80 miles.

Last edited by etom; 02-26-2016 at 03:10 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 02-26-2016, 09:39 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by etom
I've seen and gone through the older threads on installing a front-facing car seat in the back of a 993/964 (for a toddler, 2-3 years old).
Then you've probably seen mine. LOL
Make sure to do the upper tether mount mod, that's really the only way to keep the seat in place.

The 2-in-1 Highback Booster Car Seat - by Cosco fits perfectly.... but the padding is pretty thin.

Going to reinstall the cat?

I loved parking in these spots!
Old 02-26-2016, 12:15 PM
etom
Three Wheelin'

[QUOTE=911Jetta;13053226]Then you've probably seen mine. LOL
Make sure to do the upper tether mount mod, that's really the only way to keep the seat in place.

The 2-in-1 Highback Booster Car Seat - by Cosco fits perfectly.... but the padding is pretty thin.

Going to reinstall the cat?

Thanks! Yes, I did see your posting about it.
The cat is gone. The young one will only be in the seat for very short trips--15 minutes most, every now and then.
I will see if our local Cosco carries this model.

Any others seats have been recently used?
Old 02-26-2016, 02:08 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

The cat is gone. The young one will only be in the seat for very short trips--15 minutes most, every now and then.
Was just kidding, some moms can get pretty uptight about that.
15 minute trips... he'll be asleep in 5 minutes.

I will see if our local Cosco carries this model.
Just to be clear. Cosco (seat company), Costco (warehouse retailer)
The seat is available everywhere: Walmart,Target, etc.
Old 02-26-2016, 06:14 PM
etom
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Was just kidding, some moms can get pretty uptight about that.
15 minute trips... he'll be asleep in 5 minutes.

Just to be clear. Cosco (seat company), Costco (warehouse retailer)
The seat is available everywhere: Walmart,Target, etc.
---------

Yes, thanks. When I googled the name of the model, Walmart and Target did come up.

What if the little one gets addicted to those nice, faint fumes? I know I am.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:22 PM
AB-Oz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used a booster seat maybe 4-5" high, secured with tie down strap, and then a shoulder harness to rear child-restraint bolt.
Old 02-28-2016, 03:00 PM
MTR
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Any more details on this tether mod?
Old 03-09-2016, 12:46 AM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MTR
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...st-how-to.html
Old 03-09-2016, 11:28 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

Not to change the subject back from the tether...which is like to know more about as well...

But as I have posted many times in the past...Volvo makes this booster...

Name:  photo937.jpg
Views: 980
Size:  62.2 KB

And it fits perfectly in the back seats on our cars and doesn't cost much...and seems very "Volvo safety...safe"...so that's what I used till she was tall enough to have the shoulder harness in the right place for her neck back there...
Old 03-09-2016, 11:38 AM
Greg_V
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went around the houses on this and ultimately opted for a safety vest plus a booster seat. No affiliation to RideSafer, but I'm a happy camper with the product as are my kids.

http://saferide4kids.com/product/ridesafer-travel-vest/

For what its worth, the length of the seat belt receptacle makes it hard to get a great fit on any car or booster seat I've tried. i opted to not do the top anchor mod and use the vest instead. No issues thru many a mile with the kids in the back.

Old 03-09-2016, 01:00 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MTR

Already many years ago...

Part of my post in this thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ferrerid=19642

Based on my experience I think the upper tether mount adds a lot to the overall stability of the seat. I don’t want to argue the crash protection merits of an upper tether point, but the day-to-day stability of the seat (in either 5-point mode or just used as a booster) is greatly increased with the tether. The reason for this is that even though the booster fits PERFECTLY in the seat pocket area, the (Porsche) car seat design is very deep b/c of the transmission. The seating is deep and the seatbelt anchor attachment points are relatively high in relation to the seat bottom (normal cars have a pretty flat seat with belts right there, the Porsche belts start just a little higher and forward).

So in the Porsche, the seat fits perfectly and the seat belts thread through nicely but the triangulated relationship of the belt is altered causing most any booster seat to tip forward. (Sorry for the long-winded detail – see pictures)

When I was first installing the seats, I knew everything was locked down and secure, but given the forward and high location of the seatbelt anchoring bolts it still felt tippy. The upper tether mount completely solves this.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:39 PM
Grace Zala
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Britax Parkway Booster Car seat

One of my friend got the Britax Parkway to serve her child aging 3 years old, which enables bubbling wrap child with 40 to 120 lbs weight ,extra safety features, retractable cup holders, and convert to a backless model. For more choice you can take a note with it: http://www.cfone.net/how-to-get-car-...or-infant.html
Old 02-26-2018, 01:06 PM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

Took me ages to find the right child seat base that fits neatly into the seat bowl (with pad in place). Tried many over a period of many weeks in different stores - all too big a seat base. Eventually found this - perfect http://www.maxi-cosi.co.uk/gb-en/car-seats/rodi-xp.aspx Two in the back with many tours to south France and the Alps had. Comfortable for the kids and no complaints.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:29 AM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary
Not to change the subject back from the tether...which is like to know more about as well...

But as I have posted many times in the past...Volvo makes this booster...

Attachment 1028834

And it fits perfectly in the back seats on our cars and doesn't cost much...and seems very "Volvo safety...safe"...so that's what I used till she was tall enough to have the shoulder harness in the right place for her neck back there...
seems like a great options and reasonably priced too. Do you have any pics of it installed?
Old 03-02-2018, 02:07 AM
greenr
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I went with the Cosco seat, upper tethers (with the ford part) and and some renspeed mounts in the stock seatbelt holes. To get them super buckled in, I crossed the buckles across the center bump between the seats. My kids are 2 and 5 and I drive them to school every morning.

The seat behind me is a little tight. Please PM me with any questions.

Also, pulling the back section to put in the mounts is a great time to replace the rear speakers.

Quick Reply: toddler car seat?