Sponsored by:

Window motor repair help

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 06:47 PM
backitoff
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window motor repair help

Anyone repaired or refurbed their window motor?
Couldn't find any info and really don't want to spend the ridiculousness price of a new one so any help appreciated.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:14 AM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by backitoff
Anyone repaired or refurbed their window motor?
Couldn't find any info and really don't want to spend the ridiculousness price of a new one so any help appreciated.
I had a window motor stop working a couple of years back. I pulled it out and figured it was already broken so I couldnt make it worse so I pulled it apart and cleaned it out, lubed it and its worked ever since. It was pretty worn, the brushes and commutator were heavily worn and the debris was shorting everything out I think.

To pull the armature out you need to bend back some crimped tabs and gouge around a bit to lever out the plastic cap. Obviously you just need to be attentive to how everything fits together as it comes apart.

Ideally you want to test it on the bench to make sure its working again before putting it back in as its a pain to remove and refit.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:31 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I would think there would be another type of car that uses that same motor without the Porsche gold plated tax applied.
Old 02-14-2016, 02:18 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

I've replaced one of mine. I used a new one from the factory. If you don't like the price of new, have you considered buying a used one from one of the used parts (breakers) companies?
Old 02-14-2016, 03:36 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Did the parts change from the older 911's?
I had one on my 89 get balky. The motor is easy to remove w/o pulling the whole mechanism out
Basically pull door panel, lay on your back and look up in the large speaker hole, there are 2 torx screws and an electrical connection holding the motor in. Its about a 1 hour swap all in.

I just swapped the motor (it has a long worm gear on it), pulled from one i got on Pelican for $50 in good working condition. The one I had was intermittent, tried cleaning it, commutator, the brushes, lubing, but didn't work.

Just a thought....
Old 02-14-2016, 03:51 PM
backitoff
Instructor

Thanks guys, as above i figured I couldn't do any worse by having a go. Especially as a new motor seems to be over £300 here in the UK.
So I removed the motor and bench tested it whist it had no load. It did work, but the operation was slow and laboured. I also noticed that the motor casing was getting pretty warm at the bottom of the metal casing. I took it apart and cleaned and lubed everything, especially the copper bearing where the heat was being generated in the casing. (This area had no lube and was bone dry, so I made sure there was a liberal amount of hi temp grease in there). I reassembled, bench tested and all was fine!

I then cleaned all the dried and congealed grease from the window regulator mechanism. (I'm sure all this old lube was clogging things up and adding to the stress of the motor). I then re-lubed all moving parts, put everything back in, left all bolt slightly loose and hit the button, Eureka!!! All worked perfectly, and faster than it ever had before. Tightened everything up and went and had a cold celebratory beer!!

Timewise it probably took me a day, but hell the satisfaction of doing it myself is worth far more than the money saved. Thats just the icing on the cake!!
Thanks for the info guys!
Old 02-14-2016, 04:03 PM
backitoff
Instructor

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Did the parts change from the older 911's?
I had one on my 89 get balky. The motor is easy to remove w/o pulling the whole mechanism out
Basically pull door panel, lay on your back and look up in the large speaker hole, there are 2 torx screws and an electrical connection holding the motor in. Its about a 1 hour swap all in.

I just swapped the motor (it has a long worm gear on it), pulled from one i got on Pelican for $50 in good working condition. The one I had was intermittent, tried cleaning it, commutator, the brushes, lubing, but didn't work.

Just a thought....
Your way is much quicker than mine for sure, I didn't think to do it like that doh!
I am glad I removed it and cleaned and replaced all the lube etc. I'm pretty sure the condition of the regulator mechanism would have shortened the life of any motor. Was a real pita to remove and refit though lol!
Old 02-14-2016, 04:27 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

hahaha... so you had to pull the whole window frame right? that's a bit of a job, I need to do same, for now I've just best i can to lube this stuff on my 89.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:10 PM
backitoff
Instructor

Originally Posted by Spyerx
hahaha... so you had to pull the whole window frame right? that's a bit of a job, I need to do same, for now I've just best i can to lube this stuff on my 89.
Yep, the whole damn lot had to come out. Lol! When I saw your post I thought noooo I really didn't want to know that! haha

Quick Reply: Window motor repair help