Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is it like to daily drive a 964?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 07:57 PM
kokolyia
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Default What is it like to daily drive a 964?

In lieu of my first pcar getting shipped to me, I thought I might ask a question that you may think has been asked but I found that it really hasn't. For you daily drivers out there, what is it like DDing a 20+Year old Porsche 964? (if possible to put into words )
Old 01-20-2016, 09:22 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's a lot like any other car... Except it's much smaller than modern cars, and the controls are much heavier. Oh and the ac sucks. Otherwise, just a car. It's when you can open it up that they shine
Old 01-20-2016, 09:40 PM
justin-in-athens
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have two, one that I drive daily. I have found that after a decade of 911 ownership, that there are headaches that you grow accustomed to, even fond of. Crappy AC is not really ever one of them, but it is a fact of ownership. The heft of the controls is not really noticeable after a while, except for maybe the steering at low speeds. Everything has a click of quality, the door handles, the blinkers, the gear lever. That is something you don't really get in today's cars. If you are going to daily one, the biggest consideration to take into mind is how well you know the car. Because being able to hear a problem, feel a problem, and kind of see them coming before they become major roadside obstacles is important. If you know your CV joints are ****, and you start to hear a click--do something about it. If you don't have a spare DME relay in your glovebox--get one. If you don't know when the last time the fuel filter was changed, change it. These are old cars, and a lot of people put things off--don't be one of them. Take care of her, and she will return the favor!
Old 01-20-2016, 11:38 PM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't like the windshield wipers. Or the mileage.

OTOH, the way it sounds and feels, WOT, top of third.... makes my heart pound, truly.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:50 PM
FormulaRX
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

If you get stuck in traffic your clutch leg will get quite a workout lol
Old 01-21-2016, 12:53 AM
jfl503
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

it sucks... when you get rear ended.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:20 AM
greg1990964
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is much to cover here, but I will second the windshield wipers. The driver side sits bent and therefore doesn't always do a great job if not brand new. Driving in the rain is not all that fun especially in a 25 yr old cab or targa, (I have had both) as they will leak somewhere unless you want to throw hundreds of dollars at new seals. Also, usually a servo acting up making the de-fogger not work always right in front of the driver, why I am not a fan of rain driving outside of summer. That being said, it is def my daily driver here in Boston unless it is raining buckets or snowing. I put on 22k miles in 18 mo and I had a my truck and my Benz 4 matic to share some of the bad weather duties. Like any heavy clutch standard, traffic into the city can suck and I prefer my Benz for those trips, and not a fan of leaving it to get banged up also on city streets. But in the burbs here it's all I drive if able. In fact, right now w snow and salt on the road I haven't driven the car in a week and I am having withdrawals. Major + to the point about knowing the car and even will say you really have to know how to change a belt and do at least minor repairs unless you are very wealthy. My lady says I like when things break as she thinks I really enjoy working on it. Hahahaha! She is kinda wrong
Old 01-21-2016, 02:39 AM
klokwerk
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

I haven't had mine very long but I do daily drive it.
Some things that I have to plan around mostly involve passengers and shopping.

I always have one question to answer whenever I head out, that is:
Do I have enough room in the car for what I'm about to do?

If it's just my Wife and I or just myself, then it's usually no problem...
Unless we're heading for Home Depot or something like that.

I'm still getting used to the various sounds the car makes and we're (the car and I) are still feeling each other out.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:20 AM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Fun... That's what it's like.

Most comments up here I agree with. What I disagree with is crappy AC. Mine works fine in all but stand still traffic and even then it's not bad.

It gets hot and humid here (humidity over 90% regularly and temps over 100F even at night), so it should work fine almost everywhere.

Shopping and space, I've fitted large suitcases in the back, Ironing board in the front and a host of other things that people stopped to stare at. It's by far the most practical sports car I have seen. Most don't want to do it, well that's your loss, you can never claim those miles back in a 964.

As you drive it more, you become to enjoy it more. The only drawback is the insurance argument on value. That is a fight I'm having at the moment.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:28 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

It all depends on your daily commute. If you have no traffic wide open and twisty roads it is great. Otherwise not so much. I gave up driving anything but pickups and SUV's as a DD since 1986 after driving a 911 for years. Traffic around me is just too bad to feel comfortable in anything else.

If I had the right conditions I would love to DD a 911 or even my 928.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:52 AM
Duck
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Heat works great - just a slight oil smell.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:13 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

Your commute and climate/location will be big factors. Biggest factor is yourself. It's a very subjective question. After ~10 years with the 964, I still love every minute in it. Rain, shine, snow, traffic, short commute, road trip, autocross, or evening on the town.

I would caution to keep in mind that you're rarely able to buy parts locally and these are all old cars. Repair down-time will be measured in days and sometimes weeks. Backup transportation is a necessity.

Enjoy!
Old 01-21-2016, 02:09 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Duck
Heat works great - just a slight oil smell.
If you run Castrol R you'll get that nice 1950's British race car smell
Old 01-21-2016, 03:23 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

I love driving my 964s as daily drivers. I put a lot of miles on mine and I look forward to it. Ultimately, it depends on what you want (sporting ride, cargo capacity, luxuries, etc). I have my cars lowered but this means the ride is bumpy on bad roads. I also enjoy the engine sound but for others, the noise may be too much. A few months ago, my wife and I drove from NH to Ohio and back to visit my mom. The car drove great and the ride was enjoyable.

If you do use yours a daily, keep up with the maintenance. Repairs can get expensive if you ignore things. Also, if you can learn to do things yourself, you will save money and find that these cars are very well built. But I agree with Nick's comment of having a spare car is handy. I drive my Volvo in the winter road salt months and when I need to go to Home Depot.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:57 PM
davidwilson11
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to DD mine, it handled the daily abuse and ran really well but you have to figure in repairs as they do have components that go. They are old cars. I've redone most big things like clutch, suspension, brakes, service but small parts go here and there.

Mine no longer a daily driver and really only driven in fair weather which in Scotland ain't much. It's locked up in the garage for around four months which is torture. I love driving it, even after th e years I've had it I still prefer it to my DD m3, I've seen me pass by the house whilst working to swap cars.

Quick Reply: What is it like to daily drive a 964?