Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing chain guide issue !

Old 01-13-2016, 05:43 PM
Pjovan
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing chain guide issue !

Hi everyone, new Rennlist member here ! Im a passionate young mechanic who's always had a few projects to work on since the age of 14 and as time went on, I started getting more involved with the automotive field. I'm on a journey to non stop learning, with ears wide open and mind open as can be. Im in need of some help with with the timing chain guide on a 964 engine I'm currently finishing a refresh on an m64..nothing crazy. I have worked on previous 911s but this is the first 911 engine I got very technical with, any advice or pointers are greatly appreciated !

So the issue I'm having is my timing chain seems to be incorrect the way it sits in the guide. On the left bank the timing chain sits perfectly behind the timing chain guide's lip like its supposed to.

Then if you look at the right bank, you'll see the chain is sitting just on the outside towards the end of the timing chain guide. it may not seem too noticeable on the picture since the bracket wasn't fully torqued so it wasn't flush to surface. When I do torque it down and the timing chain guide is fully seated the chain ends up sitting out of the guide towards the end of it which doesn't look normal.

What could be causing this issue ?

UPDATE ***

I removed the timing chain guides and checked if the timing chain was sitting incorrect but turns out the chain sits perfect in its gear.

2. I removed the camshaft sprocket and the keeper (decided to leave it out which makes it easier in case i have to make some adjustments on the shims) and subtracted both shims one at a time, still no luck. Also from what Ive read on bentley publisher's 964 book there is usually 4 shims on the left bank and 3 shims on the right side. In my case I have 3 shims on both sides and thats how it was before disassembly. Weird thing is the timing chain sits perfect on the lower guide, I attached more images of how the chain sits after subtracting shims. Could this be due to using its original timing chain guide ?
Attached Images    

Last edited by Pjovan; 04-07-2017 at 10:42 AM. Reason: update
Old 01-13-2016, 07:36 PM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Depending on how much intel you get here the 'engine rebuilding' forum at PParts is also a good resource.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:52 PM
lateforlunch
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might be a good idea to check your cam parallelism.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:56 PM
perelet
Instructor

Your left side chain jumped off crank gear, happens pretty often when you rotate engine on stand. Take plastic guides out, rotate engine till left side is straight up and re-seat chain. Use flash light to make sure its sitting on the crank gear.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:44 AM
ras62
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You have to have the sprockets parallel to the intermediate shaft. There is a tolerance, adjusted with shims. Google search.... 911 cam sprockets run parallel with intermediate shaft sprocket
Old 01-14-2016, 10:37 AM
Pjovan
8th Gear

Originally Posted by perelet
Your left side chain jumped off crank gear, happens pretty often when you rotate engine on stand. Take plastic guides out, rotate engine till left side is straight up and re-seat chain. Use flash light to make sure its sitting on the crank gear.
That makes a lot of sense ill take a shot at that and let you know what i come up with thanks !
Old 01-14-2016, 10:40 AM
Pjovan
8th Gear

Last edited by Pjovan; 01-14-2016 at 10:46 AM. Reason: delete
Old 01-14-2016, 10:44 AM
Pjovan
8th Gear

Originally Posted by lateforlunch
Might be a good idea to check your cam parallelism.
Originally Posted by ras62
You have to have the sprockets parallel to the intermediate shaft. There is a tolerance, adjusted with shims. Google search.... 911 cam sprockets run parallel with intermediate shaft sprocket
I was wondering about that but when i disassembled the engine it only had 2 thin shims and a thick one on both sides which i put back in the same orientation I will double check the measurement though doesn't hurt to do so
Old 02-03-2016, 05:52 PM
Pjovan
8th Gear

any more inputs ? just updated somethings a few members suggested to try...
Old 07-01-2016, 02:34 PM
Pjovan
8th Gear

Issue resolved. Right bank cam sprocket was supposed to be on with flat surface facing outwards.
Old 07-01-2016, 03:22 PM
ffc
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

For future reference where the sprocket alignment is concerned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuG3...ature=youtu.be

No connection to Stomski.
Old 07-01-2016, 04:24 PM
Pjovan
8th Gear

Originally Posted by ffc