Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FACTORY PAINT- ORANGE PEEL

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 05:27 AM
backitoff
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Manufacturers use high solid paints now. A simple explanation of high solids is that it provides roughly speaking double the amount of paint film thickness per single coat.
I would assume this is very apPEELing to a manufacturer as it speeds up the paint application process and less materials are used. Also, it will assist in their emissions targets.

The downside is you do not get the 'flow' you would normally get with building up layers, hence the orange peel on modern cars.

It also gives them the opportunity to sell 'high gloss shadow line' as an optional extra, where the tops of the doors, wings, bonnet boot etc are machine polished.

When I carry out paintwork for customers, I try to achieve a very slight orange peel effect as I think it adds depth to the final finish.

To the best of my knowledge the lacquer will almost certainly be 'solvent based' and not water.
The colour coat is water based and then sealed with a solvent based lacquer. If the lacquer was water based, it would wash off.

This imo ridicules the reason of water based products as everything is now base coat and clear coated. Solid colours are no more, which increases the solvents omitted in the painting process, negating the whole reason of reducing solvent emissions.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:13 AM
porsche mania
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by justin-in-athens
I have been told that it is now more prevalent because manufactures recognized that these finishes are more resistant to rock strikes. I was also told that these finishes are more aerodynamic--in the the same way a golf ball is textured for greater stability in flight. I guess every little bit helps meet CAFE--and robots paint everything in a freaking hurry!
That's one of the funniest things I've heard so far this year, the guy who told you this wasn't trying to sell you the car was he?!
Old 01-12-2016, 08:37 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,169 Posts

Interesting comments.

I haven't purchased too many new cars recently. Although my 2013 Ford Raptor 2014 boxster exhibit no peel and the cayenne GTS exhibits very little orange peel. Unlike the earlier 911's which is part of the factory finish.

Been using the Sikkens clear lately and unlike the Galsurit it lays out as smooth as glass with absolutely no orange peel prior to any buffing. If customers want the original look we don't use the Sikkens although it is amazing how much time & money is saved by eliminating the buffing that we need to do with the Glasurit clears. The Sikkens gives a finish nearly identical to the Cellulose lacquer paints of yesteryear. Deep, clear and smooth as glass. Both decent products just depends what finish you want.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:49 AM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by backitoff
When I carry out paintwork for customers, I try to achieve a very slight orange peel effect as I think it adds depth to the final finish.
^^^ THIS. I just had a custom hood fitted on my Jeep and the body shop look at me funny when I asked them to match the OEM orange peel.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:38 PM
02m2
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Default making progress....

should be getting the car back next week so we can start putting it together.
Attached Images  
Old 01-14-2016, 06:45 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Looks great
Old 01-14-2016, 09:14 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

LOVE that color. And your paint guy works FAST. That's usually the longest pole in the tent, paint and body.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:23 PM
02m2
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Will be about 6 weeks with the holidays in there.

Originally Posted by Spyerx
LOVE that color. And your paint guy works FAST. That's usually the longest pole in the tent, paint and body.
Old 01-15-2016, 03:14 AM
backitoff
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking great. Can't wait to see it finished.
Old 01-15-2016, 03:53 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by justin-in-athens
I was also told that these finishes are more aerodynamic--in the the same way a golf ball is textured for greater stability in flight.
I'm gonna get out my center punch tomorrow and "golf ball" the entire car before the next track session. It will be my secret weapon!
Old 01-16-2016, 04:02 PM
deadendd9009
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Canneryrow
My wife's 2015 Subaru Forester's paint is more golf ball like. Small children could get lost in its dimples.
But Subarus are inexpensive cars...BMWs should have better paint than that, you'd think! Subbie paint is the pretty low quality: very thin and fragile.
Old 01-16-2016, 06:05 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by 18T_BT
Go look at any new BWM, orange peel from factory galore!

Bmw has perhaps the most aweful original paint of any high-end car out there. It's unbelievably bad. Good news is that most clear coat can be corrected since it's so thick...but man bmw does not paint well.
Old 01-16-2016, 06:12 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Goughary
Bmw has perhaps the most aweful original paint of any high-end car out there. It's unbelievably bad. Good news is that most clear coat can be corrected since it's so thick...but man bmw does not paint well.
Glad you said that. I was about to post the same comment. Every BMW I owned especially the black cars had awful paint and paint issues. Was never one of their strengths. Although I swore off BMW's after my 01 740iL lemon.

Quick Reply: FACTORY PAINT- ORANGE PEEL