Sponsored by:

What does your fan look like?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 12:58 AM
greg1990964
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Alex
Thanks for all the input. While the salt trucks peppered the streets around me, I feel like I might take it off and see if there isn't anything worse. If all clear, I might see if it holds up on powdercoating and what method of blasting my local powdercoater offers.

Ken, you already swapped your fan?
Nothing more annoying then salt trucks for not even an inch of snow. My town of Weston has more money then brains and salts at the slightest chance of moisture. I am sure the DPW boss trying to give the boys some overtime. I could drive the 964 tomorrow if they didn't salt. Annoying.....Ok, now I will go out in the garage and check my fan. Haha.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:40 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,929 Likes on 1,168 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyinTomato
I haven't. still waiting for the big day to do everything together. I am coming to brooklyn tomorrow night. You still got my rear shock? I need to disassemble it to use some of the stock parts for my new suspension.
Ken I will check but I might have some of the parts you need if you come up short.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:46 AM
964George
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

Just ordered an new fan as mines looking sorry for itself...
Paints lifting with signs of delaminating and corrosion on the leading edges of the blades
Attached Images  
Old 01-13-2016, 09:51 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 964George
Just ordered an new fan as mines looking sorry for itself...
Paints lifting with signs of delaminating and corrosion on the leading edges of the blades
You might consider removing the housing while you're at it. Needs some sanding and painting. The corrosion is already quite extensive but it is a non rotating part so it is less important.

Hard to tell the condition of the fan without stripping it first. Looks as though it was painted without proper prep and cleaning first.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:27 AM
964George
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
You might consider removing the housing while you're at it. Needs some sanding and painting. The corrosion is already quite extensive but it is a non rotating part so it is less important.

Hard to tell the condition of the fan without stripping it first. Looks as though it was painted without proper prep and cleaning first.
Was considering doing the housing, fan paint has lasted 2 years
I have some close up pics that show cracks at the base of the blades, hence why I went for a new fan.
Old fan is destined to become a garage clock
Old 01-13-2016, 10:48 PM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A really good powdercoater replied to me with this :

Unfortunately it is very soft and when powder coated it gets a bunch of bubbling it. Blasting it and giving t a good coat of paint would probably be the best. We can blast it for you though.

A few questions for those who have refurbished the fan:

1: Worth investing in three prong puller or would autozone rental be ok?

2: The bearing can be pulled off the shaft with the same puller correct?

3: Would shop press smoothly/safely press new fan bearing into fan.

4: After fan and bearing are together, would it all just slip back on the alternator shaft, or would I have to lug the whole alternator out of there.

Originally Posted by greg1990964
Nothing more annoying then salt trucks for not even an inch of snow. My town of Weston has more money then brains and salts at the slightest chance of moisture. I am sure the DPW boss trying to give the boys some overtime. I could drive the 964 tomorrow if they didn't salt. Annoying.....Ok, now I will go out in the garage and check my fan. Haha.
Worst part is we didnt even get the rain or dusting of snow we were told, so they literally just threw tons of salt on the road for no reason.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:58 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mr.Alex
A really good powdercoater replied to me with this :
A few questions for those who have refurbished the fan:

1: Worth investing in three prong puller or would autozone rental be ok?

2: The bearing can be pulled off the shaft with the same puller correct?

3: Would shop press smoothly/safely press new fan bearing into fan.

4: After fan and bearing are together, would it all just slip back on the alternator shaft, or would I have to lug the whole alternator out of there.

Worst part is we didnt even get the rain or dusting of snow we were told, so they literally just threw tons of salt on the road for no reason.
What does he mean by Magnesium is too soft? Average Brinell Hardness for both A356T6 aluminum and AZ91T6 magnesium is 70BHW. If he powder coats aluminum magnesium should work the same. I know some cast aluminum alloys will not anodize properly due to the high Silicon content which leaves white spots.

I have pullers although autozone or Pep boys rental should work if you don't need one. I used my puller to remove the bearing it all depends on the design. Shop press is fine it is all about properly supporting the fan to prevent any flex or cracking. I always remove the entire unit. Allows access to check everything and good time to clean and blow/vacuum out any debris. The 964 is far easier than the earlier 911's you also have a n access panel on top which the earlier cars do not. Not a bad time to check that the bushes are still good.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:37 AM
abarthguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 283 Likes on 173 Posts

I think the powdercoater is woried about "outgassing" when baking some mag parts.
Had this happen with some Campagnola wheels. Finish had small bubbles.....
Old 01-14-2016, 10:55 AM
YaHoo!
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When reinserting the bearing I put the bearing in the freezer overnight and in the morning put my fan in the oven at 185. Once the fan was up to that temp I inserted the bearing into the fan easily without a press.

Harbor Freight sells pullers cheap.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:56 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by abarthguy
I think the powdercoater is woried about "outgassing" when baking some mag parts.
Had this happen with some Campagnola wheels. Finish had small bubbles.....
Not sure why mag would outgas. If properly cast there shouldn't be an issue.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:45 AM
provoste
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

My powder coat has held up quite well, was coated in 2008. Recently had fan bearing and alternator bearing fail on track. Replaced the fan bearing with Rothsport's single belt conversion which eliminates the fan bearing. One less thing to go wrong in the future!
Attached Images  
Old 01-14-2016, 01:03 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

I blasted and powder coated a brand new fan for two reasons. 1. I felt powder would last the life of the car, and 2. The finish on the new fans from Porsche is so so.

As per the outgassing, it can be a problem with mag, I don't know why. My coater was happy to do it though, having powdered lots of mag and said he just pre bakes it. ie bake, powder, rebake = no bubbles.

I also powdered my shroud. Then like several other rl-ers found after the fact that the tolerance between the fan and shroud is very small and my fan touched the shroud! Needless to say, I was disappointed to have to take a file to my perfect fan and remove the powder from the tips. I put some paint on the tips which is much thinner.

If I had it to do over, there is no way I would powder. I would paint. Think about it, the original ones hold up for 15-20 years with paint. Just take it off every 5-10 years and detail it up it may last forever with no risk of tolereance problems. So to answer your question, Paint, Paint, Paint, imo

Here is the oem finish, followed by the powder.
Attached Images   
Old 01-14-2016, 01:28 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JB 911
I blasted and powder coated a brand new fan for two reasons. 1. I felt powder would last the life of the car, and 2. The finish on the new fans from Porsche is so so.

As per the outgassing, it can be a problem with mag, I don't know why. My coater was happy to do it though, having powdered lots of mag and said he just pre bakes it. ie bake, powder, rebake = no bubbles.

I also powdered my shroud. Then like several other rl-ers found after the fact that the tolerance between the fan and shroud is very small and my fan touched the shroud! Needless to say, I was disappointed to have to take a file to my perfect fan and remove the powder from the tips. I put some paint on the tips which is much thinner.

If I had it to do over, there is no way I would powder. I would paint. Think about it, the original ones hold up for 15-20 years with paint. Just take it off every 5-10 years and detail it up it may last forever with no risk of tolereance problems. So to answer your question, Paint, Paint, Paint, imo

Here is the oem finish, followed by the powder.
Interesting. I have spent over 30 years manufacturing Mag sand castings and this is the first I have heard of outgassing issues with powder coating. They do it all the time to the 928 and 944 valve cover and intake housings without issue.

I would think Powder coating would be more susceptible to damage than paint. It makes a very hard covering but a solid impact will cause the extra hard coating to shatter. Most of the damage to these fans comes from debris being sucked into the fan at high revs and impacting the edge of the blade. No doubt this was the cause of damage to 964George's fan but it was also due to improper surface prep.

I would suspect how the coater is prepping the surface as being more the issue to why it is outgassing there is nothing in mag that should cause this and if cast properly should have no issue. Magnesium is not subject to porosity like aluminum. Microshrinkage is a concern but should not be present on a quality casting.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:53 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Interesting. I have spent over 30 years manufacturing Mag sand castings and this is the first I have heard of outgassing issues with powder coating
People might be confusing improper moisture control for magnesium outgassing?
Old 01-14-2016, 02:58 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
People might be confusing improper moisture control for magnesium outgassing?
As usual, I think you hit the nail on the head.

Surface prep is critical and cleaning followed by drying in a warm air circulating oven should always be done about an hour prior to any coatings.

Quick Reply: What does your fan look like?