Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heater bypass wiring - which way is best?

Old 12-29-2018, 09:00 PM
pcolony
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 12 Posts

Does everyone remove the 30 amp fuse, regardless of method used to bypass?

With my car, with the new relay installed and 30 amp fuse removed, at first glance one might think all is fine. Except adjusting the temp **** causes the airflow to fluctuate in flow depending on where it's adjusted.
Old 12-30-2018, 05:50 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 235 Posts

A missing rear fan feedback signal will cause the Climate Control Unit to shut down the two front blower fans. This is what you are experiencing. A "heater bypass" wire is meant to route a feedback signal to the CCU to mimic the missing feedback signal if the rear fan is removed.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 12-30-2018, 11:28 AM
pcolony
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ToreB
A missing rear fan feedback signal will cause the Climate Control Unit to shut down the two front blower fans. This is what you are experiencing. A "heater bypass" wire is meant to route a feedback signal to the CCU to mimic the missing feedback signal if the rear fan is removed.
Cheers,
Tore
It just sounded like installing the bridge relay and pulling the 30A fuse was about equivalent to the tapping the purple wire method, except that's not what I'm seeing. I'll try the purple wire way instead, if that works, I'll be set.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:02 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Same issue here, fans have their own mind. mine is a 92 car.
It should be a wiring for making those fans working in a simple way
Old 01-01-2019, 01:34 AM
jonathant
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Weak passenger side fans

and now everything works perfectly...except for the lack of air coming out of the passenger side vents, but that's a whole different issue.
Greg, if you figure out the passenger side fan issue, please post; I have the same problem! Replaced the PS cabin fan, which was squealing, but still very little air on that side no matter where the air is directed (much quieter now though). DS fan is original and everything else seems to work.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:38 AM
gregmitch
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jonathant

Greg, if you figure out the passenger side fan issue, please post; I have the same problem! Replaced the PS cabin fan, which was squealing, but still very little air on that side no matter where the air is directed (much quieter now though). DS fan is original and everything else seems to work.
I’m thinking it’s probably a mixing flap that’s stuck. I have to see if the servos are working properly. Will be tackling that once the spring rolls around so the a/c can work properly.

Have you checked your servos?
Old 01-01-2019, 11:49 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 360 Posts

If anyone needs a jumper relay, happy to send this one to a new home free of charge. I went with the hard wire method and no longer need the relay. Cheers!

Old 01-01-2019, 12:36 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

With the hard wire method, does the fan speed **** work at any temperature? With the relay method, I can control the fan speed only when the temp **** is either at the lowest or highest setting. I am wondering if this is normal operation when doing the bypass or if it should work as if the blower is still in place (i.e. fan speed operational regardless of the temp **** position).
Old 01-01-2019, 01:01 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LPMM
With the hard wire method, does the fan speed **** work at any temperature? With the relay method, I can control the fan speed only when the temp **** is either at the lowest or highest setting. I am wondering if this is normal operation when doing the bypass or if it should work as if the blower is still in place (i.e. fan speed operational regardless of the temp **** position).
If the system is working properly, either the relay or the wire method depending on MY (and the stars) will enable full functionality of the fans. It sounds like you may have another issue, however, as the fans do not typically kick on again when the temp is set to highest setting. Typically after 10 degrees, the fans cut out period.

When I first tried the hard wire method, nothing. But somehow after a day or two the fans started working again. Perhaps a loose contact in the hard wire.
Old 01-01-2019, 05:29 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxman
If the system is working properly, either the relay or the wire method depending on MY (and the stars) will enable full functionality of the fans. It sounds like you may have another issue, however, as the fans do not typically kick on again when the temp is set to highest setting. Typically after 10 degrees, the fans cut out period.
LOL @ the stars comment and so true, it seems that certain methods work on certain cars without any definite reason. With the relay and the fuse out, my fans cut out past 10 degrees and do not come on at the warmest setting. With the relay and the fuse in place, my fans work at both the coldest and warmest setting only (they cut out in between). It is not a big deal and I am ok with the current functionality but I should perhaps try the hardwire method to see if I can get full functionality regardless of the temp setting.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:58 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Foxman
If anyone needs a jumper relay, happy to send this one to a new home free of charge. I went with the hard wire method and no longer need the relay. Cheers!

The relay has found a new home in Switzerland - Cheers!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Heater bypass wiring - which way is best?