Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting vs Sitting - Cold Weather

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 05:51 PM
Norse_man
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

such great information. guess I'm giving my car an oil change soon.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:59 AM
Hem
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Even in Idaho when it's 10 degrees....the 964 gets a weekly workout. I should maybe think about a lighter oil viscosity....
Old 01-05-2016, 07:05 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Since I drive my C4 all winter, not the same issues. I do change my oil in the spring, and usually
get a little water which comes out of the tank drain 1st. Never get any water from the engine drain.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:36 AM
greens
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Idling is one of the worst things a motor can do. I still get a good laugh when I hear people talk about how they start their car from inside on a cold morning and let it idle for five to ten minutes before leaving. Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

Let it sit. Only start it when you plan to drive it.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:03 PM
Norse_man
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by greens
Idling is one of the worst things a motor can do. I still get a good laugh when I hear people talk about how they start their car from inside on a cold morning and let it idle for five to ten minutes before leaving. Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

Let it sit. Only start it when you plan to drive it.
i don't think letting any car run for ten minutes at idle to warm up before driving off will harm the car. letting it idle and shutting it down i can see, why a 10 min warm up before driving is bad?
Old 01-05-2016, 04:10 PM
porsche mania
Pro

Originally Posted by Norse_man
i don't think letting any car run for ten minutes at idle to warm up before driving off will harm the car. letting it idle and shutting it down i can see, why a 10 min warm up before driving is bad?
Let your car sit and get up to temp then drive it, notice how the temp drops rapidly on the temp gauge. This is because the engine hasn't warmed up evenly when Sat but is designed to when driven. There are a lot of potential issues with an engine hasn't expanded at the same rate and then driven. If you check your manual it also says to only start the car when you are going to drive away.
Old 01-05-2016, 04:26 PM
greens
Racer

Originally Posted by Norse_man
Start your car, put your seat belt on, put your sunglasses on, adjust the radio and then drive. The car should sit at the most 30-60 seconds before driving away. Everything on the car is designed to heat up to spec while being driven. Idling has zero benefit and nothing but negatives. The only time I would idle a motor longer than 30 seconds before driving is if I lived in an environment where the average daily temperature was -30.

Just drive the car. Give the motor 15-20 minutes to get the oil to full operating temp and then use the gas pedal with full force.

http://antranik.org/the-myth-of-warming-up-your-engine/
Old 01-07-2016, 12:54 AM
MrNvgtr
Instructor

I'm not directly answering the question, but just enjoy the car all year. I don't understand why people store cars over the winter in parts of the country where you can drive all year long as long as there's little to no ice on the roads and they don't salt them. Yeah if I lived where they salted the roads I'd gladly tuck my car away. I live in Monument, CO. We've been getting a good amount of snow this winter, but it hasn't stopped me from enjoying my 964.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:27 AM
Pichu
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I disagree with the oil change before storage. It shouldn't matter unless you were already due for a change. Oil does break down over time, but not to the extent that leaving it parked would do anything.

I drive my car normally, then when winter hits, I put Stabil in it, and park it. Come spring, change oil and drive. I think it's much more important to change the old oil out in Spring than to put in fresh oil before storage, then changing it again (tedious and not necessary).

Edit; it is -25Ceclius here tonight, so yeah, no chance of driving it in winter. Roads are salted. Theres a TON of 4x4 trucks out, there's no way I would drive my 964 in the winter here.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:58 AM
porsche mania
Pro

Originally Posted by Pichu
I disagree with the oil change before storage. It shouldn't matter unless you were already due for a change. Oil does break down over time, but not to the extent that leaving it parked would do anything.

I drive my car normally, then when winter hits, I put Stabil in it, and park it. Come spring, change oil and drive. I think it's much more important to change the old oil out in Spring than to put in fresh oil before storage, then changing it again (tedious and not necessary).

Edit; it is -25Ceclius here tonight, so yeah, no chance of driving it in winter. Roads are salted. Theres a TON of 4x4 trucks out, there's no way I would drive my 964 in the winter here.
I think your missing the point of changing oil before storage. As you use your car before storage condensation collects in the engine, especially if you do short journeys, this forms water sitting on top of the oil. As long as you change the oil before storage and don't start the car until you plan to drive it and get it up to temp then the water won't have been there for what could potentially be 3 to 4 months.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:41 AM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Perhaps a stupid question, but wouldn't letting an engine sit and idle for a long while lead to formation of hot spots?
Old 01-08-2016, 06:39 AM
porsche mania
Pro

Originally Posted by Mr.Alex
Perhaps a stupid question, but wouldn't letting an engine sit and idle for a long while lead to formation of hot spots?
Exactly right. That's it in a nut shell!
Old 01-08-2016, 11:54 PM
GoKart
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MrNvgtr
I'm not directly answering the question, but just enjoy the car all year. I don't understand why people store cars over the winter in parts of the country where you can drive all year long as long as there's little to no ice on the roads and they don't salt them. Yeah if I lived where they salted the roads I'd gladly tuck my car away. I live in Monument, CO. We've been getting a good amount of snow this winter, but it hasn't stopped me from enjoying my 964.

I also live in CO, west of Loveland, at 7000ft+ --- they sand our roads heavily, and I don't want to subject my appreciating 964 C2 to sand-blasting and rock-pelting --- they also pre-treat our roads with a fine white substance that looks suspiciously like brine (salt water) or perhaps magnesium chloride (also highly corrosive). There's not a snowball's chance in Hell I'm putting my 964 on the road on that stuff....

So, it's just gonna have to sit all winter then.

Quick Reply: Starting vs Sitting - Cold Weather