Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Choked and Stalled on First Gear. Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 03:21 PM
vsouvann
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choked and Stalled on First Gear. Help!!!!

I have been working on my baby for two months now. I replaced all 12 plug plugs, two rotors and caps, new valve cover and chain cover gaskets and three belts. I went sweat and tears to get her running after a near catastrophic oil over filled that resulted in "hydro lock".
She is almost there mechanically. I took her to a gas station and filled her up, then we went on a short spirited drive.
Problem:
She choked up on the first gear. I had to rev it up to 4-5k rpm and slept ease off the clutch to get going. On second, third, fourth, and fifth gears, she ran beautifully.
BTW, I cleaned the Idle Control Valve and all of the intake parts before I put everything back.
What should I do for to solve this problem?
Old 12-22-2015, 03:36 PM
RallyeChris
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 62 Posts

Are you certain the plugs aren't fouled from the over-fill?
Old 12-22-2015, 06:35 PM
vsouvann
Instructor

I will check them as soon I get a chance. They are brand new plugs that I put in after the oil was ejected from the cylinders. I blew out white smoke after I started her up for the first time. If one or two of them fail, would it be really rough the entire run, not jus at the take off(first gear)?
Old 12-26-2015, 10:13 AM
dlpalumbo
Racer

I posted this in your other thread, but maybe you missed it. if you disconnected your battery during your maintenance, you need to do a fuel adaptation. It has been my experience that this makes a big difference in idle and low end torque.
Old 12-26-2015, 05:53 PM
vsouvann
Instructor

dlpalumbo, thanks for your suggestion. I'm not sure I know how to do that. Can you elaborate on the fuel adaptation process? I will try anything right now. I'm still waiting for my DME relay. I am gonna by to try swapping the airflow meter with my cousin's BMW e30. I noticed that they are excusing the same Bosch air box.
Old 12-27-2015, 02:35 PM
dlpalumbo
Racer

You need a specialized OBD1 code reader that can trigger the fuel adaptation. The stock unit is a Porsche 9288/ Bosch KTS 301 and is very hard to find. There is a clone called a PDT 999. There is also software available that you connect to car through PC usb port. Search posts for Scan Tool. IIRC the software is free, but you have to buy the adapter cable. Go here for adapter cables.

I have the PDT999 and the Scan Tool loaded on a small Acer notebook PC. I'd consider selling the Scan Tool with Acer and cables. If you are interested, PM me and I'll see if the Acer boots up.

Dan

Last edited by dlpalumbo; 12-27-2015 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Found cable link
Old 12-28-2015, 10:20 PM
vsouvann
Instructor

I have an OBD2 scanner that I've been using with my '03 Honda van. Can I just get the adapter? I already have a small laptop, maybe the USB unit is what I need. Would you consider selling just the adapter?
Old 12-29-2015, 06:20 AM
Duck
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A generic OBD II reader willl not work. You will need one of the hand held devices mentioned or the unit that connects to a laptop with the scantool software.
Old 12-30-2015, 12:40 PM
vsouvann
Instructor

I think I might have found the bug in my car. When I pulled the vacuum line from the back of the fuel pressure regulator, it was wet. I took off the intake manifold on the passenger side, there was gas way up in the throttle. A new FPR is in order.
Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:55 PM
vsouvann
Instructor

The fuel pressure regulator arrived last. I was able to remove the old one got the new one in by about 9:30. There was no time to start up the car. After I got home from work today, I started her up. Well, I'm happy to say that the idling problem is gone. She is running like she did when bought her. Thank you everyone for all of your comments.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:22 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

Thanks for updating the thread. It's always good to see how these types of issues get resolved. It could help the next person.

Quick Reply: Choked and Stalled on First Gear. Help!!!!