DIY - Reduce unpredictable battery drain

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 07:07 PM
tdiquattro
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by freedman
Resurrecting this excellent thread

Did you find which wires/connectors you need to move/change for these 2 mods? The fog light one in particular is useful
I will have a look at my notes, I am off to Europe with Frank and the crew Tuesday so will check when I get back

It's a bit of work but you can chase it through on the volume 7 diagrams.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:14 AM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tdiquattro
I will have a look at my notes, I am off to Europe with Frank and the crew Tuesday so will check when I get back

It's a bit of work but you can chase it through on the volume 7 diagrams.
Thanks for that

Was talking to a number of them last week at the Fairmile about the trip

Enjoy
Old 09-28-2017, 05:44 PM
dlpalumbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this thread is old, but I thought I'd add what I've learned about the link plug that replaces the window regulator relay. I bought the plug before I knew what it would do, but then decided to trace out the circuits before I installed to learn what the WR relay did.

What I learned was that besides powering the window switches, it sends power to the sunroof relay, to keep the sunroof switch powered as well. So If you install this bridge and you have a sunroof, the sunroof relay will be continuously powered.

Ditto for the conv. top controller. So if you have a cab, there's that.

So you're trading a possible circuit drain through the WR relay with a definite drain through the SR relay and conv top controller if applicable.

I decided not to install the bridge.

Dan
Old 01-13-2021, 11:42 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Received 351 Likes on 248 Posts

Reviving this aged thread to discuss above. I have windows that intermittently stay powered after ignition off, key out, door open and shut. I do not understand which component draws current and how. Further I don't understand how leaving them permanently powered helps. Is it the window regulator relay itself is the draw so leaving them always hot eliminates this? Or just having the switches hot causes a draw - in which case I don't see how the modification helps.

Quick Reply: DIY - Reduce unpredictable battery drain