Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making functional RS brake ducts

Old 11-24-2015, 08:29 AM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Making functional RS brake ducts

Anybody make their RS "oil cooler" ducts fully functional?

Doesn't see like it would be that hard to add some hoses, drill a hole thru the wheels well, a small wing to direct the air to the brakes.

Been pondering doing this for awhile. It's two hoses, two flangers (was thinking of using something from one of those cold air intake companies), and making a wind deflector to move the air to the brakes.

My car is also going to be sans a/c soon too, so it would be even easier.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:18 PM
LimmetED
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

i tryed that a while back, my oilcooler are in the way thou but i guess thats depends on wich RS duct one are using?
Old 11-24-2015, 03:30 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Old 11-24-2015, 07:59 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

It would be interesting to see cooling deltas from the various manufacturers... The only one worth installing probably ducts directly to the inlet vanes on the back of the brake disc?

Old 11-24-2015, 09:22 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

That's exactly what Porsche did on the RSR's; ducted air to the eye of the rotor to force air through the vanes. Simply blowing air AT the rotors can turn them into Belleville washers.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:23 PM
Blu RS
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default TechArt used to have a kit . . . .

I made mine functional using their kit. Actually I didn't even use the front bumper inlets, just the duct hoses and all the remaining "hardware" which is really just hard polyethylene. Seems to work well. The main thing is that you're making more positive air pressure in the wheel well which serves to extract the heat. Takes a bit of finesse to get the ducts thru on the right oil cooler side and might be an even bigger challenge if you've got an AC cooler/condensor on the left side. (I don't!) Don't know for sure if TechArt still produces this kit but it would be worth exploring. Or maybe FVD has got their own version of the same kit?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
964 Montageanleitung BKS.pdf (593.2 KB, 272 views)
Old 11-24-2015, 11:02 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Mine are functional. I'll try to get a pic of mine before I put it away for the winter. Ducts are aimed at the rotors. I believe we used the same line as you would for the heat exchangers but don't quote me on that just yet

Trending Topics

Old 11-25-2015, 07:52 AM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Interesting.

Looks like the correct way would be impossible on a C4?

Anyway, I'd still like to do a set up like Larry has.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:37 AM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jjm4life
Mine are functional. I'll try to get a pic of mine before I put it away for the winter. Ducts are aimed at the rotors. I believe we used the same line as you would for the heat exchangers but don't quote me on that just yet
Yeah, if you can take a look. Finding out what type of hose needed would be good info.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:37 AM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
That's exactly what Porsche did on the RSR's; ducted air to the eye of the rotor to force air through the vanes. Simply blowing air AT the rotors can turn them into Belleville washers.
Do you mean it is possible to warp your rotors with that setup?
Old 11-25-2015, 10:36 AM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 119 Posts

Here's a parts list at the very least. I have the Techart Setup, it's very similar to the FVD... http://www.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/-1...Foglights.html
Old 11-25-2015, 01:00 PM
Blu RS
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

While it's clear the FVD kit is an imitation of the TechArt kit, it's not exactly the same. TechArt uses molded flexible "reducer joints" that allow easy slip-on connection of the duct hose to the bumper duct at one end and the fender exhaust flange at the other end. FVD is using a less elegant solution that involves adjustable clamps and a clear plastic section as a junction between the exhaust flange and the duct hose. While the FVD kit can certainly be made to work nonetheless my preference would be the TechArt kit if you can get it. Also, the plastic air diverter plates that go inside the fender wells have bosses with holes for screwing the plates onto the steel bodywork but I never used screws only duct tape and that's worked perfectly well for years.
Old 11-26-2015, 02:50 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Blu RS
The main thing is that you're making more positive air pressure in the wheel well which serves to extract the heat.
Interesting thought ...
Old 11-26-2015, 06:34 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

yes but the question is does is there a big enough delta in cooling by piping to the centre of the disc or is creating the high pressure in the wheel arch enough? My cup car has no piping/vents and brakes solidly for 30min races; granted huge discs and pads.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:55 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by HiWind
yes but the question is... is creating the high pressure in the wheel arch enough?
And the next question should be... how much front end lift does the additional pressure in the wheel well introduce? We know that venting the wheel well dramatically reduces lift enough that downforce can be created on the front of a 911.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Making functional RS brake ducts