Sponsored by:

Convert C 4 box to C2

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 02:32 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jack.pe
There are two hydraulic lines going to the back of the car operated by the PDAS. One feeds a slave actuator which activates the centre diff, this has been removed and the line blanked off with a bleed nipple (might find a more elegant solution eventually but this is fine in terms of function). The other line goes to the rear diff and has been left in place. The PDAS will still think it is actuating the centre diff by pushing pressure down the hydraulic line to the centre diff, it has no sensor to tell it it is no longer working. In the same way it should still try and actuate the rear LSD when it detects slip, however since the line is in place this should work. .......in theory! Don't think anyone else has tried this so we will see but no reason it should not work.
hi Jack,
thanks ,
great , if that works that could be a greater advantage than any LSD then ...
Old 09-20-2017, 07:01 AM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My C4 gearbox two wheel drive conversion if finally finished!! First impressions on a very wet drive back!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVC2VyY40ps
Old 09-20-2017, 07:03 AM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

Old 09-20-2017, 07:51 AM
fridtjov_RS
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jack.pe
My C4 gearbox two wheel drive conversion if finally finished!! First impressions on a very wet drive back!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVC2VyY40ps

Nice :-)

Do you have a parts list from what parts needed?
Old 09-20-2017, 04:04 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Hi Jack,
great info and video , thanks for taking the time and sharing the info !!
shame about the weather but maybe that heilighted a few issues, it's great you don't have any lights coming up and it works all well, testing in dry condition with road tyres will give you a better idea of how the car handles .
Did you review you geometry, if you kept the C4 geo on a C2 that would not help rear grip, not sure how far you went with your initial C4 geometry but it suppose to have more rake, stiffer roll bar and springs at the rear and different toe than a C2, all to make the rear lighter to overcome some of the understeer.
next thing is to be sure the LSD is working well,
what do you think about the longevity of the collar?
Cheers
konstantin
Old 09-21-2017, 06:41 AM
ManuFromParis
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Konstantin, are you worried it could not be strong enough ?
It crossed my mind as well, but even if there is a lot of torque in there, this thing looks pretty strong.

That said, the max torque capabilities could be calculated with the bolts and the locking pins specs (not by me though, I forgot that math long ago !!)

Please Jack, put the pedal to the metal as much as you can to check that out !
Ha ha !
Old 09-21-2017, 06:49 AM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ManuFromParis
Konstantin, are you worried it could not be strong enough ?
It crossed my mind as well, but even if there is a lot of torque in there, this thing looks pretty strong.

That said, the max torque capabilities could be calculated with the bolts specs (not by me though, I forgot that math long ago !!)

Maybe the two parts should be upgraded with some locking shapes on top of the bolts.

Please Jack, put the pedal to the metal as much as you can to check that out !
Ha ha !
Hi Manu,
just a though for reliably, but I suppose the collard could be checked at services, well I suppose the question is to ask to Nick at Redtek I suppose .

when is the next meet up in Paris , I love to join
living in Bourg la Reine at the moment .
Old 09-21-2017, 04:26 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

It's fun watching C4 owners reactions to driving a C2.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:17 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
It's fun watching C4 owners reactions to driving a C2.
Yes, I now know why C2s back off on wet shaded corners on our road trips
Old 09-22-2017, 09:43 AM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

Hey guys, I'm pretty confident the collar will be strong enough.. if you see the small epicyclic gears from the centre diff and the load they go through.. the collar seems fine. I'm more interested in how long the rear shafts will last, I keep the C4 items and did not use the thicker C2 ones. I think they will be fine but that is maybe the weakest link.

I've not had a chance to drive it since as the new seats did not fit and it has been in a garage ever since the video. Hope to get it back soon. Pretty sure thew LSD was working correctly on the day but will test this for sure when I get the car back.

The reason why it was slippery is am sure down to the track day tyres I was using. Having said the C4 would have been much more secure, but then that's not what I wanted.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:39 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Yes, I now know why C2s back off on wet shaded corners on our road trips
Exactly! Coming from a C4, I bet a C2 can feel downright dangerous at times. A different approach to turns... in a car that looks exactly the same. Spoiled for choice with these very clever cars (and owners)!
Old 09-22-2017, 11:12 AM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Exactly! Coming from a C4, I bet a C2 can feel downright dangerous at times. A different approach to turns... in a car that looks exactly the same. Spoiled for choice with these very clever cars (and owners)!
C4's faster in the rain. No argument there. BUT.. I do prefer the way a C2 drives and on track it is significantly better. For every day road use I would never have done this modification.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:28 AM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

My first real test of the converted 964 did not go quite as expected... at least I proved C4 driveshafts are not strong enough to use on a C2!
On the plus side the gearbox mount definitely seems to be holding the box ok.. could not detect any movement there. I wills till be strengthening it but don't think it's a definite requirement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tJZ...ature=youtu.be
Old 10-10-2017, 08:50 AM
koenig_roland
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 73 Posts

i had the same noise some weeks ago, when i drove back from a trackday. It was a long day, i was tired and had some appointments at the day after, so i decided to keep driving the 30km home... The noise was nearly the same then your car does... I just could be a "tired" drive shaft. I changed mine with a good spare one and the noise was gone.. Perhaps, you stressed a pre-cracked drive-shaft with your wheelies over the top and that`s the issue you have..

I would give the current setup a change with some fresh drive-shafts from a C4....

regards

thilo
Old 10-10-2017, 09:01 AM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by koenig_roland
i had the same noise some weeks ago, when i drove back from a trackday. It was a long day, i was tired and had some appointments at the day after, so i decided to keep driving the 30km home... The noise was nearly the same then your car does... I just could be a "tired" drive shaft. I changed mine with a good spare one and the noise was gone.. Perhaps, you stressed a pre-cracked drive-shaft with your wheelies over the top and that`s the issue you have..

I would give the current setup a change with some fresh drive-shafts from a C4....

regards

thilo
Could be but to be honest I think i'm not going to risk it.. Porsche obviously thought that C2's needed stronger shafts and I think this sort of proves it.. it would have been fine under normal driving but sooner or later I think it would have let go.. So i will put C2 ones on, the only pain is i'm going to have try and source the C2 differential flanges as the normal ones are too small.

Quick Reply: Convert C 4 box to C2