Thanks for sharing ,
Great info, please keep us updated ,
Cheers
Old 07-09-2017, 04:11 AM
koenig_roland
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 73 Posts

Hey Jack,
any updates here? I am excited, how the converted G64.00 box is working and how the overall progress is...

best regards from frankfurt
Old 07-09-2017, 04:45 AM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by koenig_roland
Hey Jack,
any updates here? I am excited, how the converted G64.00 box is working and how the overall progress is...

best regards from frankfurt
Hey, there have been never ending delays so a few weeks ago I changed the machinist who was supposed to make the collar. The good news is the car went in last week to be taken apart, so work has started. I will be doing a video showing the steps and will keep you guys updated. There should be more progress in the next few weeks!!
Old 07-09-2017, 06:07 AM
koenig_roland
Burning Brakes

cool! Good luck and have fun!

Do you also overhaul the gearbox itself or just the conversion?
Old 07-10-2017, 05:26 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Thank you Jack,
I hope everything goes to plan.
let us know
cheers
Old 07-24-2017, 06:19 AM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys... finally the locking collar prototype is ready and work has begun!!

I am keeping all the parts and the 4wd bits will be weighed to put to bed once a for all the arguments about the weight saved. So far i am guessing the 80 Kg estimate is about right..

Old 07-24-2017, 06:42 AM
ManuFromParis
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Brilliant !

If I understand well, your intention is to set the machined 2 parts-collar on the gear box without taking it off.
Then what about the gearbox nose ? Enough clearance ? How are you going to close the front prop-shaft output ?

PS : You would not share the drawings of this 2 parts-collar, would you ?
Old 07-24-2017, 07:28 AM
ManuFromParis
Advanced

I'm pretty sure you could let the longitudinal slave cylinder tied up somewhere, you would then still benefit of the rear axle locking differential by PDAS.
The PDAS would keep "locking" the longitudinal diff without knowing it's not active anymore.
Maybe if the cylinder is removed and the line correctly closed, it would work as well, but maybe not. I think I'll try everything without removing it at first.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:03 AM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Great video Jack ,
well done ! Please keep us inform .
question ; why not keeping the C4 shafts , I thought they could be strong enough .
Thanks
Old 07-25-2017, 12:30 PM
koenig_roland
Burning Brakes

hi Jack,
i wish you good progress...

I would also be interessted in the answers for the drive-shaft change. How is this change doable? Have you to change the flange in the gearbox? Is the C4 so much weaker (it is a little bit thinner, i know) as the C2 stuff?

Why not using the CAE shifter? Then, you would not need to cut and weld anything...

The most important question: Is it possible, to buy such an adapter? Or can i buy the 3d data file to machine it by myself?

Best regards

Thilo
Old 07-29-2017, 07:06 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

^ +1 (or 964)
Old 07-31-2017, 10:57 AM
jevvy964
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Jack as mentioned on the other channel this is a very interesting project and well done for getting to where you have.

One issue I haven't seen you address yet is the one I raised a few pages back with regard to the differences of how the C2 and C4 boxes are supported. If you haven't already you need to look at this as the engine and gearbox will flop around if you try to drive with the one-side only C4 gearbox mount and no torque tube in place.

Originally Posted by jevvy964
Nice one, sounds like a fun mission.

I'm not sure its been mentioned yet but you will also have to deal with the different gearbox front mount setups between C4 & C2. The C4 mount alone with no support from the torque tube etc is not adequate to support and maintain alignment of the front of the gearbox.

C4

C2

There is a 4wd to 2wd gearbox mount adapter available for the 6 spd 993 but not sure it would work on the shorter 5 speed 964 box:
http://fdmotorsports.net/993-turbo-c...n-trans-mount/
Old 08-01-2017, 12:09 PM
ManuFromParis
Advanced

Obviously the box remains a C4, including the front part containing the locking collar and the nose, so I guess the gearbox support and fixations will remain the same as well.
isn't it ?
Old 08-01-2017, 01:34 PM
jevvy964
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ManuFromParis
Obviously the box remains a C4, including the front part containing the locking collar and the nose, so I guess the gearbox support and fixations will remain the same as well.
isn't it ?
If thats the plan then I think there will be problems with engine and gearbox stability.

The C4 gearbox mount is designed to be used with the torque tube and not as a standalone gearbox support. It only connects to one side of the gearbox and will not provide adequate support if the torque tube is not present.

As per the link in my post the 993TT boys have had to deal with this issue when converting to RWD, from that page:

"When AWD components are removed from a 993 turbo or C4, you are left with a mono-directional mount at the front of your transmission. This mount was not designed to handle engine torque on it’s own and introduces a variety of undesirable behaviors, such as your transaxle popping out of gear under hard acceleration or deceleration."
Old 08-02-2017, 07:15 AM
ManuFromParis
Advanced

Originally Posted by jevvy964
"When AWD components are removed from a 993 turbo or C4, you are left with a mono-directional mount at the front of your transmission. This mount was not designed to handle engine torque on it’s own and introduces a variety of undesirable behaviors, such as your transaxle popping out of gear under hard acceleration or deceleration."
I don't understand this quote : "your transaxle popping out of gear"
Which transaxle ? The RWD transmission has no transaxle anymore, that's the point.

If it means that the gear engaged might pop out, this could also be related to a bad setting of the gear lever linkage : its is a well known issue that lead some guys to rebuilt a gearbox which had nothing wrong, juste a bad setting of the linkage.

Anyway, I can understand the mount being on right side instead of being in the front would provide a different holding of the gearbox but on full torque load, engine and gearbox are supposed to twist a little. When the longitudinal tube is in place, it would mean the whole transmission would twist : engine+gearbox+tube+transaxle (front diff)

But I wonder where the 9&10 mounts, specific to the C4, are going. Anyone has a photo with parts in place ?

Quick Reply: Convert C 4 box to C2