1993 Porsche RS America with Roll Cage

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 04:42 AM
89Spedster
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 Porsche RS America with Roll Cage

Hey Guys,
I'm looking at two 1993 Porsche RS America. One, 93 RSA Red, 26K miles, LSD, AC, with Roll Cage welded, condition 7-8, few dings and touch up paint, bump in front undercarriage. Second, 93 RSA Red, 27K miles, LSD, Radio, pretty much stock, condition 8-9. I have some questions below, give me your thoughts, opinions, and advice? Thanks in advance!

1)RSA with Roll Cage is $17K cheaper than the Stock RSA, Which one would you go for? Does a Roll Cage devalue and less desirability? How much less of value would be fair?

2)If RSA come with Roll Cage, which is better bolt on or welded? Or would you absolutely stay away from it?

3)Which of the two is a better factory option: LSD/AC or LSD/Radio?

4)Any opinion or something I should know before decide on these two RSA?

5)What is fair market with or without Roll Cage?
Old 07-15-2017, 07:50 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

What do you want to do with the car? People seem to buy RSAs as an investment, or at least pay at investment level pricing. If I was going to spend the premium to get an RSA (vs 2 "regular" C2s!). I would want it as stock as possible. Then I would want low miles and a low option car (the best would be no sunroof, radio and maybe no AC... only LSD).

The driving experience with these cars (all of them) with the right mods is really next level, and a definite sweet spot in the 911's history. But modding a RSA should greatly reduce the premium it seems to command over a C2. At that point why spend extra for the same car?

When talking RSAs, you've got to mention what the intended use is (more track time? - given the described condition of both cars), to justify the $ premium. The second car you mention sounds nice.
Old 07-15-2017, 12:03 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

If you live in an area with humidity and you plan to drive it then most definitely get the car with AC. The ride is a lot less enjoyable when you are dripping wet.
Old 07-15-2017, 12:51 PM
89Spedster
Advanced

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
What do you want to do with the car? People seem to buy RSAs as an investment, or at least pay at investment level pricing. If I was going to spend the premium to get an RSA (vs 2 "regular" C2s!). I would want it as stock as possible. Then I would want low miles and a low option car (the best would be no sunroof, radio and maybe no AC... only LSD).

The driving experience with these cars (all of them) with the right mods is really next level, and a definite sweet spot in the 911's history. But modding a RSA should greatly reduce the premium it seems to command over a C2. At that point why spend extra for the same car?

When talking RSAs, you've got to mention what the intended use is (more track time? - given the described condition of both cars), to justify the $ premium. The second car you mention sounds nice.
Purpose of use, street driving, weekend enjoyment, no intended of track run, I don't plan on keeping it as a garage queen, I don't mind the Roll Cage, IMO give you a little of imagination that your in a trackable car, but the investment side of me, will it have a steady value should I be tried of it? Should I pay the extra $17K and know for sure this will be a better RSA just incase went time are rough. Save now and regret went its time to move it?

I dont really plan on modi
Old 07-15-2017, 12:57 PM
89Spedster
Advanced

I don't really plan on Modifying anything to it, done that many time before, in the long run IMO the true nature of the car is the Beauty... the RSA has all the niche that I need, IMO I can mod the C2 to even look better or the same as a RSA, but in the end of the day it's still a C2, and the money put in to do that, might even be greater than the RSA, just my two cent,
Old 07-15-2017, 01:00 PM
89Spedster
Advanced

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
If you live in an area with humidity and you plan to drive it then most definitely get the car with AC. The ride is a lot less enjoyable when you are dripping wet.
Will driving in SoCal, and Yes, these few summers, It's dripping wet without AC,
Old 07-15-2017, 01:17 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

The only wear item in the RSA that can't be easily and inexpensively replaced are the cloth seats, not yet as least... The paint can almost always be cleaned up with some wet sanding, compounding and polishing. Full cage including the doors or just harness bar? A rollcage on the street without a helmet is always a negative but with enough padding the impact with one might be preferable to the same with a naked a-pillar? After putting 180K+ miles on an options delete / LSD only RSA, having AC would be the deciding factor for me.
Old 07-15-2017, 02:12 PM
89Spedster
Advanced

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
The only wear item in the RSA that can't be easily and inexpensively replaced are the cloth seats, not yet as least... The paint can almost always be cleaned up with some wet sanding, compounding and polishing. Full cage including the doors or just harness bar? A rollcage on the street without a helmet is always a negative but with enough padding the impact with one might be preferable to the same with a naked a-pillar? After putting 180K+ miles on an options delete / LSD only RSA, having AC would be the deciding factor for me.
cage included the door, there are padding in area that might contact head, by the way what a naked-a-pilliar? I know the AC will make a much better ride in the summer, but it's always better just the LSD, which what everybody say, How was your run with 180K mile drive? Any issues or major costs? Any regrets?
Old 07-15-2017, 04:22 PM
89Spedster
Advanced

Originally Posted by u7t2p7
Now that you've identified as a poser

If you spend anytime on these forums one constant advice is don't buy these cars as an financial investment. Many would say the RSA is very overvalued; same car with no sunroof and manual steering, as a C2 coupe. When you say "an extra $17k," that's meaningless unless we know the absolute number. When prices stabilize or decline, people's "ask" is usually a bit sticky; meaning they don't go down quite as quickly as the market. For sure the later example sounds far superior for your needs. What it's worth is what someone is willing to pay. I wouldn't pay more than $85k in this market.
Yes, I'm poser. Would I add a roll cage if it didn't. No, I wouldn't. Since it there, why not imagine a bit. Wouldn't you have some fun since it there? On the Price $99K vs $115K, If you have info on one at $85K, with 26K miles, 8-9 conditions, No sunroof, and LSD, with AC or Radio, Please forward info? I'll be happy to offer commission fee for that. I've been looking for the past year, if it isn't a Track prep RSA, 80-100K miles, and with a bad history... I haven't found one that good of a deal, from my search
Old 07-15-2017, 08:45 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 89Spedster
I know the AC will make a much better ride in the summer, but it's always better just the LSD, which what everybody say,
There is a (false) romantic ideal about the LSD only Porsche 964RS* that is completely devoid of the reality that comes from actually driving these cars on the street in anything but perfect weather. I would almost say the UK is the exception but even there, driving in the rain without AC is more painful than it needs to be because of the windshield fogging.

How was your run with 180K mile drive? Any issues or major costs? Any regrets?
It is still my favorite car and the first one I drive when I come back to the USA for a month or two each year but I would easily have double the miles had I originally ordered it with AC.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:52 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

Don't drive a car with a cage on the street. No amount of padding will stop a tbi or death in a serious accident. If not tracks my the car, buy the one without a cage.

-A guy with a tbi.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:15 PM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tbi?
Old 07-15-2017, 11:21 PM
MTR
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd assume traumatic brain injury.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:21 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 338 Posts

I'm guessing Traumatic Brain Injury.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:21 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 591 Likes on 375 Posts

Yes, I'm poser. Would I add a roll cage if it didn't. No, I wouldn't. Since it there, why not imagine a bit. Wouldn't you have some fun since it there? On the Price $99K vs $115K, If you have info on one at $85K, with 26K miles, 8-9 conditions, No sunroof, and LSD, with AC or Radio, Please forward info? I'll be happy to offer commission fee for that. I've been looking for the past year, if it isn't a Track prep RSA, 80-100K miles, and with a bad history... I haven't found one that good of a deal, from my search

Here's one with a roll cage installed, along with other track-worthy goodies ("too many to list" the ad says): http://www.highmarques.com/inventory/475.html

I've seen the car and was intrigued, but I wasn't looking for this type of track car (or car, period, much as I'd love a 964 or 993). Also, can't recall which of the four possible options it had or lacked.

I believe the dealer seller is reputable, though I have no experience.

My recollection was the car had about 75k miles and the then-current Ask was $75k.

Good luck in your search.

Quick Reply: 1993 Porsche RS America with Roll Cage