964 Carrera 2 ABS Test Set – Ready to Order

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 04:23 PM
cajonfan
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 964 Carrera 2 ABS Test Set – Ready to Order

Hello 964 C2 Rennlisters –
At long last, I am ready to offer the “Production” version of the C2 ABS Test Set to the Rennlist community. Thanks to the efforts of the beta testers the C2 ABS Test Set and the accompanying test procedure are much improved.

The Need -
I think that all of us C2 owners need to have a tool like this to know that our ABS systems are working and to detect and isolate faults when they occur. My thought is that we should fully test the operation of the ABS system at least every two years when we change the brake fluid, or whenever we suspect there is an issue.
There are many components in the 964 ABS system and the built-in-testing does not test them all. Hearing the ABS system work, or feeling its operation through the brake pedal, only validates that at least one of the three hydraulic channels are working. There are also a number of interface signals that are critical to the operation of the system and provide no driver indications if they are missing.
These concerns are resolved by the C2 ABS Test set and testing procedure which validates all the interface signals then exercises the full functionality of the ABS system.

The Tool -
This functionality is provided in a single, small unit that can easily be positioned for use and then conveniently stored. Photographs of a prototype unit are shown below. The unit has one large 35 pin connector to mate with the vehicle wiring harness, one user control panel, and a brightly colored metal enclosure (to help you remember to remove it before driving away). Keen members may recognize the packaging as a modified Bosch ABS computer enclosure, this approach provides a very robust package (that obviously fits correctly) at a good cost point.
Several hardware improvements have been incorporated in the “production” version. The most visible changes are the use of LED displays mounted behind the user control panel (for their own protection), and improved switch markings. Non-momentary switches are now fitted making it easier for one person to perform the testing. A close-up of the improved LED design is shown below (from the new C4 prototypes).
[img]https://i.imgur.com/JmpFBLml.jpg?2[/img]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/lqXKRSZl.jpg?1[/img]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/R7yDQ4wl.jpg?2[/img]

The Offer -
First, this is a philanthropic hobby venture for me and not really a business venture. My commitment is to “manufacture” and support one lot of these C2 ABS Test Sets. These are hand assembled electronic assemblies that will be made to order. I have the resources to handle the likely demand with pricing that passes along quantity based discounts (e.g. the printed circuit boards) back to the community. Please don’t assume that I will manufacture another lot in the future, I have many other ways to spend my hobby hours. On the flip side, I expect to be in the Rennlist community for a long time and have plans to fully support the product and the test procedure (more on this below). I will also deliver documentation sufficient to support the units if they are ever damaged or fail.
Second, these units utilize a Bosch Generation 2 ABS Controller as a core. This core provides the enclosure and internal structure for the units. The pricing presented below consequently has a core charge component to source a compatible core module.
Third, there is no substitute for corporate knowledge and experience. The measurements I take on my ’94 C2 in my garage may not be exactly the same as you make on your car where you live. The expected values in the test procedure will get better if we all contribute our data (and any procedure errors or comments we find). I will offer a “rebate” if you send me your test data and findings (only test data will be collected, no personal information). I will evaluate the data and distribute the information as needed.
Pricing Details
A. Initial small lot price of $275.
B. Quantity discounts of $10 for lot sizes of 20 units, $15 for lot sizes of 40 units, TBD for larger lots
C. Core charge of $30
D. Shipping $15 to the United States, $65 to most other countries (to be priced individually)
E. $10 rebate for your valid measurement data when received
If you are interested, please pm me. I will build an interest list for two weeks or so and finalize the lot size and pricing discounts. I will then collect a $100 deposit and start the manufacturing process. When the units are approaching completion in about four weeks I will collect the balance. Units will ship when completed and paid for.

Thanks for all the interest so far, I look forward to helping a lot of you keep your car's ABS systems in top shape,
Michael (cajonfan)
Old 10-19-2015, 05:00 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Just fixing the picture links (remove the "[URL]"). Nice work Michael!

Originally Posted by cajonfan

Old 10-19-2015, 05:13 PM
cajonfan
Rennlist Member

Thanks !
Old 10-19-2015, 07:41 PM
Duck
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice! Ready for the C4 version.
Old 10-19-2015, 08:03 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Nice work and PM'd you.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:04 PM
power_up
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

So great to hear that the final product had been launched. PM'd you too.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:25 AM
UncleRemus
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You got pm. Thank you!
Old 10-20-2015, 04:37 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm in for the C2 tester. PM sent. Good work
Old 10-20-2015, 06:51 PM
DanielJ
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts

Count me in too. PM on it's way.

DJ
Old 10-20-2015, 08:07 PM
spenny_b
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Michael, me too per other thread - YHPM.

Cheers
Spencer.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:14 PM
dlpalumbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does this tester provide capability beyond a Bosch Hammer (kts 301)?
Old 10-21-2015, 11:52 PM
cajonfan
Rennlist Member

Well yes, in the C2 application this test set is made for the ABS system does not connect to the test port, The Hammer cannot provide any information on the status or potential faults of the ABS system. This test set exercises each wire of the interface and each function of the ABS system - all the way to the wheels braking or releasing.

Now in the C4 application, the ABS controller can provide status via the test port and the Hammer can read any stored faults. The benefit of the dedicated ABS test set is that all the ABS functions can be fully exercised and evaluated. Some classes of faults cannot be detected by the ABS controller (e.g. there may be no feedback signal), so a complete functional test is the only way to know if the system is performing correctly.

Good question, thanks for asking,
Michael
Originally Posted by dlpalumbo
Does this tester provide capability beyond a Bosch Hammer (kts 301)?
Old 10-30-2015, 08:55 PM
cajonfan
Rennlist Member

Default Order Window Will Close Monday

Greetings all, there has been lots of interest and there will be enough units made to get the circuit cards a little cheaper. The savings at this time will be 10 dollars, (every little bit helps).

If you are thinking that you want one of these units, and you have not gotten on the interest list, please decide this weekend. I'm going to start manufacturing on Monday.

Thanks for all the interest,
Michael
Old 10-30-2015, 09:52 PM
Duck
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I want a C4 tester when complete. 😀
Old 10-30-2015, 11:17 PM
Matt Andrews
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

very cool. I don't own a car yet so I can't commit, but maybe I can rent someone's from them after I do buy one...

Quick Reply: 964 Carrera 2 ABS Test Set – Ready to Order