964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 C4 light refurb

Old 03-04-2018, 05:55 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 550 Likes on 335 Posts

More pics. I couldn’t get the door perfectly clean as the solvent was starting to wear the paint as well.

Note on the previous post the strange build number. It will be interesting to see what’s on the other panels.
Old 03-04-2018, 02:23 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

With the door ready to go I started on the fuel tank. First thing to do was remove the fuel sensor so I could siphon out as much fuel as possible before undoing the hose at the pump.

The sensor is a 50mm nut so I used a strap spanner.

The siphon was a partial fail as I had omitted to measure the distance from the innermost depths of the tank to where I could put the container it would drain into. The frunk is not low enough and it's quite a distance over the fender to the ground. The hose was only 2m long so I sat it in the frunk and used a ‘jiggle’ valved hose. If there is a next time I’ll simply use a long normal hose. I suspect I'll need a big container when the pump hose is loosened.

Last edited by John McM; 03-04-2018 at 11:47 PM.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:20 PM
Super90
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

John, it's spooky you are diving in to your a/c system as that was the next thing I was going to do on my car !!!

There are a few threads out there on it, and I've been talking to the guys at the local shop, as they have done a few already, and one of them owns a 964 himself and did his own evaporator a few months back. I drained my gas tank a few months ago for another project. Siphoned out as much as I could, but there was still a bit in the tank, which came out by disconnecting at the fuel pump below.

My evaporator was replaced a few years back, but the system still does not work that great, and the Texas heat tends to win in the months of July-August. I figure replace it all, including most of the hoses and o-rings....the parts are not that expensive, it's just a lot of labor....

Keep us posted !!

R.

Last edited by Super90; 03-05-2018 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:55 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Will do Robert. It's just turned Autumn in New Zealand but the temp today was 80F (27C) and I can't enjoy the car in this type of temp. The Autocross last week was unbearable in a race suit and helmet.

I was a passenger in 964tit's car in Australian 95F (35C) temps and his air con had just been done so was great. That inspired me. I'm not doing my usual replace everything madness here. It will be measured with the evaporator, expansion valve and receiver/dryer up first. I'll look at the fan motors as well while I'm in there. If something else needs replacing after that it should be easy to access those parts. Tonight I'll do the fuel pump with my teenage son holding an extinguisher. Feel the fear and do it anyway.
Old 03-05-2018, 01:01 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Will do Robert. It's just turned Autumn in New Zealand but the temp today was 80F (27C) and I can't enjoy the car in this type of temp. The Autocross last week was unbearable in a race suit and helmet.

I was a passenger in 964tit's car in Australian 95F (35C) temps and his air con had just been done so was great. That inspired me. I'm not doing my usual replace everything madness here. It will be measured with the evaporator, expansion valve and receiver/dryer up first. I'll look at the fan motors as well while I'm in there. If something else needs replacing after that it should be easy to access those parts. Tonight I'll do the fuel pump with my teenage son holding an extinguisher. Feel the fear and do it anyway.
John in your research have you been able to identify what are the typical source of leaks for the A/C system?
Old 03-05-2018, 01:35 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue

John in your research have you been able to identify what are the typical source of leaks for the A/C system?
Afshin, 964tit replaced his evaporator and research on the Net shows that is the most common leak. It’s also the worst one to fix due to labour costs although a generic replacement could be as little as USD 250 plus labour.

After that there are all kinds of theories from barrier hoses to o rings. I figured that given my air con hasn’t worked since I bought the car five years ago I might as well assume it has a leak, start with the evaporator and work from there. It should be little more expensive that leak testing etc on a likely faulty unit and then having to do it anyway.

Old 03-05-2018, 02:59 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I took the window motor and regulator out, then removed the window frame, and finally the window. There’s evidence of rust in the window rail, but given the new price I’ll stem the corrosion rather than replace.
A word of caution: I had the same rust, did the cleanup/neutralise deal. The rail was sufficiently weakened that it would no longer hold the window tightly enough without the rust. The glass jumped out of its rail and fell to the bottom of the door twice before I bent over and bought a new rail.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:26 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rennlistuser8
A word of caution: I had the same rust, did the cleanup/neutralise deal. The rail was sufficiently weakened that it would no longer hold the window tightly enough without the rust. The glass jumped out of its rail and fell to the bottom of the door twice before I bent over and bought a new rail.
Thanks for the warning. I’ll take a very close look at the strength of the metal remaining.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:32 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Well, I can add this to the experience bank. I thought I had maybe 4 litres of petrol/gasoline in the tank. Make that 16. Given I had already mostly filled my large container there was a mad rush to find containers. I ended up with a shower of it as well. Stuff doing that again without pumping it all out of the tank. The locals reckon an electric fuel pump is the go. Anyway the tank is out an I’m one step closer to the evaporator.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:56 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Not a lot of progress tonight. I played hunt the fastener and managed to get the firewall cover off. Now to research the big job of pulling the air box.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:31 AM
ffc
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm looking forward to this. I am due to overhaul my aircon before the Le Man Classic this July and some of the great classic threads on here are missing photos. This will be very helpful (no pressure intended).
Old 03-06-2018, 07:37 AM
ffc
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Not a lot of progress tonight. I played hunt the fastener and managed to get the firewall cover off. Now to research the big job of pulling the air box.
Have you got a copy of the official workshop manual, it details the process? This also looks good http://p-car.com/diy/ac/ Apologies if you have this stuff already.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:17 AM
Deserion
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

John, in case you need to repair your compressor, here are the parts needed versus replacing it entirely. Hopefully these can be sourced in-country for you. Century Auto Air

It's a Denso 10PA15C, specifically. I rebuilt the 10PA17C on my Mercedes (used PAG oil instead of mineral since it's R134a) and that effectively solved my aircon temperature issues (or lack thereof). I cleaned all of the old oil off of every internal part and added fresh PAG into the top once it was back together.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:42 AM
964tit
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennlistuser8
This is exactly what happened to me. Might be worth checking out the felt at where the window comes out of the door. If that's knackered it will let water run down into the rail.
Old 03-06-2018, 04:15 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ffc
I'm looking forward to this. I am due to overhaul my aircon before the Le Man Classic this July and some of the great classic threads on here are missing photos. This will be very helpful (no pressure intended).
This app is driving me nuts as I can't easily post pics. Then when I do they're out of order. I think I'll start a new thread for this so it's easier to find.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 964 C4 light refurb