Sponsored by:

Protective paint film

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 04:10 PM
Mikar
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Protective paint film

Having just had a full respray I'm considering getting protective paint film installed. I wondered if anyone had any experience with the various products available? Are there any downsides other than cost?
Old 10-13-2015, 04:35 PM
ramans
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

My local shop is Metropolitan Detail in Bellevue and their product came out quite well, I had the entire front end covered both wings and the entire hood so no seams, really like it.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:39 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

The film qualities vary and it is all dependent on how well the shop prepped and painted the car. I have seen a lot of paint jobs lift when applying the film or years later. I like the Xpel products they have the least aggressive adhesive and don't look as though there is film on the car.

Allow as much time as possible for the paint to outgas before having film applied.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:10 AM
Strega(UK)
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was going to do this after my fresh repaint, but the guys that put the film on were not keen on fitting to non factory paint, as they were almost certain it would take the paint with it when removed. I have decided to just paint the car again one day if it looks that bad.
My car is for driving, not showing after all!!!
Old 10-15-2015, 06:59 AM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the Expel self healing film, full coverage. I put it over my freshly repainted 964 four years ago, paint is still mint
Old 10-15-2015, 07:35 AM
PhatPhlatSix
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about the therapeutic value of waxing and shining the paintwork - can you still get that with film?
Old 10-15-2015, 09:11 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

Originally Posted by PhatPhlatSix
How about the therapeutic value of waxing and shining the paintwork - can you still get that with film?
Most of my cars are covered. The xpel film is fantastic. It has saved my paint several times. If the car sits outside all the time I would not recommend it unless you don't mind detailing the car every 2 months or so. My cayenne turbo has had 3M since new and has always lived outdoors and 11 years later I finally removed it. The film had deteriorated badly but once removed the paint looks like new.

I have seen factory new Ferrari's loose clearcoat from poor paint work from the factory. If the car has been repainted it all depends on how good of a job they did prepping the surface before applying the paint. If they did the job properly it should not be an issue, if not???
Old 10-15-2015, 09:28 AM
PhatPhlatSix
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cobalt
Most of my cars are covered. The xpel film is fantastic. It has saved my paint several times. If the car sits outside all the time I would not recommend it unless you don't mind detailing the car every 2 months or so. My cayenne turbo has had 3M since new and has always lived outdoors and 11 years later I finally removed it. The film had deteriorated badly but once removed the paint looks like new.

I have seen factory new Ferrari's loose clearcoat from poor paint work from the factory. If the car has been repainted it all depends on how good of a job they did prepping the surface before applying the paint. If they did the job properly it should not be an issue, if not???
So do you need to apply wax to the film, or does the film give you the depth as it is similar in effect to a clear coat?
Old 10-15-2015, 10:19 AM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I know a professional Porsche detailer who treats the film covered area the same as the rest of the car.....clay, cleaner and wax, etc.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:42 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Keeping it simple:
Ensure paint has fully cured first
Do a paint correction to make it look perfect
Install either Xpel or Suntek film, have it done by a very experienced installer.
These 2 films are very clear and self healing. I think Suntek looks more "clear" and "less there"
Maintenance is similar to normal paint, but use a colorless synthetic wax (I use meguiars ultimate)
I treat my wrapped RS the same as any other car, wash, clean, clay, wax...

Quick Reply: Protective paint film