999 084 634 02 I think is supersceded to 99908464101
Thank you, good info.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:08 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary
Wow!!! Great job. Try a satin clear...
I've read the clear coat will discolor and flake and end up looking tatty so I've decided to go with an OEM solution (sortoff) ... ie the original Tectyl coating used to be the waxy yellow we all know and love but gladly they now make a clear version. See the red can below. These werent blasted as they aren't ali - I just neatened up on the wire brush wheel.

Here is the wet and dry pic - left hand piece is the one with first wet and then dry Tectyl Glashelder (clear) ... going to throw it in some brake dust to see how it holds up, and if it doesnt clean up well I'm likely going to leave them untreated (ie just the vapor blast no clear coat)

after cleaning and wipe down with acetone, apply a generous dusting to the left one

.. left one now dry after 2 hrs in the sun .. so no visible difference but it is coated to the touch with a smooth waxy feel

unless one of you snowy/salty track ratters from Calgary, Dublin, London or Vermont can promise me the clear (likely RUSTOLEUM) will hold up
Old 07-16-2017, 12:44 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

That looks amazing . I'll need to find a source in the states and give that a try
Old 07-17-2017, 10:45 AM
HiWind
Race Car

http://www.valvolineeurope.com/engli...der/klar_spray

there is some tectyl on amazon but not in a spray can
Old 11-26-2017, 08:05 PM
HiWind
Race Car

nice post thanks!
Originally Posted by HalV
If I'm reading it correctly, the use heat and thread lock in the article is consistent with what's in the shop manual, page 47-03.

Also...these are back from upholstery. Sexy.

Attachment 1008860
proper, lovely ... really a superb thread all round
Old 11-26-2017, 08:32 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Thanks!

I wished i had called it “madness” cuz it’s all gone waaaaaaay beyond suspensions

Dbfd
Old 12-04-2017, 02:45 AM
Matt Andrews
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

I've been pouring over this thread. I need to remove my spring plates. They hyper link below shows a allen key kit that goes up to 10mm, but the M14 bolt is a 12mm Allen key. I am guessing they changed the kit after this post? Maybe I just need to call Pelican unless I'm missing something? This is dumb. between this and the extension for my torque wrench, I need to buy $80 in tools I'll used once? someone should rent them out...

I had mentioned earlier somewhere about the tools necessary to re-torque the spring plates. Since I am bored, I figured I'd back track a moment and do some show and tell. There is a Porsche special tool listed in the manual, and though I would love to have a ratcheting version of what I now have, it's ok that it doesn't ratchet.

So this is really because of one bolt. The M14 cap head that bolts the spring plate to the passenger side of the car (US left hand drive). There is very limited space. And the torque spec is 147 ft/lbs...which is a lot. To give an example, I had to use my leg to crack the bolt loose.

You first need this:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/Porsche/...WTD166_pg3.htm

And then one of these:

https://store.snapon.com/Standard-in...e-P812998.aspx

And then any reasonably good torque wrench. I use a CDI 24 inch wench that I now swear by. Great wrenches.

And then, I think I first came across this because someone else posted it here. Maybe Vandit? Anyway, super helpful...

http://www.freeinfostuff.com/torquee...eextension.htm

Use the calculator on there to set your torque.

I have a 24 inch wrench, and a 3 inch adapter. So to make 147 ft/lbs I set the wrench to 130.7

Make sense?

Then, to fit the wrench into the slot and position it correctly to torque, see the attached pic. This would be a lot easier on a lift. I'm under a car that is 14 inches off the ground, and it's a pita.

Here's the kicker with this whole project. No one on this thread should be remotely afraid to replace their spring plate bushings with elephant bushings. Really couldn't be easier. I thought that part of the job was going to be the most difficult. And to get the seized bolts out, yes it was. But purely for the replacement of the bushing, easiest by far. And the elephant product is awesome.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:36 PM
Goughary
Race Car

I had done a search today on something or other on the googles...and one of the first results that came up happened to be this thread..lol..

However - my answer wasn't there.

What was there was a lot of re-reading - what a great couple years of non-stop 964

Quick update. Last weekend we did the second annual "Rub to Marblehead" with a few of the guys...total blast and this year my car wasn't the one that broke! (Last year my alternator and fan bearings went)...i have no idea how many miles the drive is- but Fairfield, CT to Noank for lobster on the water, then up to Burlington Porsche for their 70th anniversary party (we missed the party), and then to the marbles for home-made pizza and sunset at the Corinthian...great trip.

I had softened the suspension on my car prior as my 32 week pregs was to be sitting next to me for the ride....and the best comment of the trip was "i can't believe how much more comfortable your car is than my allroad for long drives" --- i guess pregnant women like tight suspensions and sport seats. Who knew?

Name:  photo385.jpg
Views: 1253
Size:  736.7 KB

Name:  photo638.jpg
Views: 1271
Size:  1.18 MB

Name:  photo487.jpg
Views: 1248
Size:  1.02 MB

Name:  photo914.jpg
Views: 1275
Size:  1.33 MB

And as to the cars- all of the cars in this thread have had many various things done with them, and some new friends have come along...the group over here has grown well...but two cars in this thread are in an interesting spot. The owner of the lobster has gone and bought a car with for lack of better explanation - no miles - it's the most perfect and new 964 I've ever seen...like it drove off the line yesterday - so he is prepping the lobster rocket for sale...which I'd buy if i has the room for a second, but alas...

And the very first car that started all the craze..the Alabama car, had a little unfortunate mishap and somehow somewhere in its history, and not likely since our purchase, it had been starved for oil...and the motor developed a little chinky clinky noise that went from standard sewing machine, to "what the hell is that" in a very short period of time. And while we listened and tossed around ideas, it for worse, And then after a drive from long island to Amelia island and back...and a couple of subsequent miles, the car, as though it was herbie's cousin, drove itself to Dawes Motorsports, where the ears of the more astute said "whoa" turn that off, immediately. You are not driving this home"...leading to the discovery of the real problem, of which at this point, there were many.
So after a bit of discussion. They will use the case in the new 3.9 liter motor that is being built...lol. In the end, the Alabama car is getting a specially crafted built for performance street and semi track use significantly more powerful motor. More to come on that later. We will be visiting it in the same hospital where Steve Austin was built in a month or so...it'll look human, but on the insides, all Dawes cyborg. I can't wait to drive it.

We have no pics yet...but i made John couple of t-shirts for the build....

https://teespring.com/DBFD-more-is-b...6529&sid=front

And ...

https://teespring.com/dawes-3-9?aid=...6529&sid=front

Caffeine and Carburetors is in new Canaan this Sunday. Hope those of you that are close can make the treck...if you want to park in the event you have to go to their website and register.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:43 AM
MFX233
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

Fantastic to hear the Run to Marblehead lives! I am sorry I missed it.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:35 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Jeff you and Mrs Jeff were sorely missed!

Come next year !
Old 06-14-2018, 10:06 AM
MFX233
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

I am actually in the country at the moment, but on the wrong side
Old 06-22-2018, 10:54 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Originally Posted by LPMM
I feel like one of the cool kids.
I had forgotten that you picked up a dbfd T-shirt all those years ago...cool! I was just looking up the qtr window install and your post was just prior to the pop-outs...funny how things come around.

We will have to get you a grill badge for that wide body monster of yours.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:20 PM
Goughary
Race Car

So here we are years later...and you'd think what's done is done...

But noooooooo

I had bought KW V3 for my car, and those of you with more experience with KW can chime in here. The 964 struts are held on by two m12 Allen bolts. The KW i have, have a hole at the bottom that is 14mm, which is stupid, because that means the camber can change. And therefore other angles as well, though in reality, not a huge amount. But the camber change can be pretty massive.

Here are some quick shots. The measuring isn't super accurate, but you get the point.

Name:  photo302.jpg
Views: 1144
Size:  816.3 KB

Name:  photo384.jpg
Views: 1138
Size:  968.1 KB

Name:  photo108.jpg
Views: 1125
Size:  912.3 KB

Soooooo, what to do?

I bought a set of reducing inserts made for the purpose...

Name:  photo806.jpg
Views: 1076
Size:  307.4 KB

I also need to modify the upper hole on the upright as well, so that the strut can't slip in that one as well. There is not need to have camber adjustment on the upright when you have camber plates. So I'll get that worked out so things can be done a bit more accurately and stay put.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:31 PM
Goughary
Race Car

And then....after a frustrating day fixing an oil leak and inspecting the suspension front and rear...

I looked at my engine mounts. Wevo w black pillows....

This is the passenger side...

Name:  photo89.jpg
Views: 1089
Size:  988.8 KB

Not terrible...if you look close, it seems to be tearing...but it hasn't given way just yet.

Here is the driver side...

Name:  photo558.jpg
Views: 1090
Size:  1,010.0 KB

Now what is going on there? How does that even happen? I'm not concerned about the engine falling out, so ok, I'll drive the car and when my new pillows (blue this time) arrive, I'll swap them out.

But what's concerning is that it happened after only a couple years of use. We have seen melted ones, but have we seen them deteriorate like this before?
Old 09-15-2018, 11:27 PM
Achtung964
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

And then....after a frustrating day fixing an oil leak and inspecting the suspension front and rear...

I looked at my engine mounts. Wevo w black pillows....

This is the passenger side...

Attachment 1291120

Not terrible...if you look close, it seems to be tearing...but it hasn't given way just yet.

Here is the driver side...

Attachment 1291121

Now what is going on there? How does that even happen? I'm not concerned about the engine falling out, so ok, I'll drive the car and when my new pillows (blue this time) arrive, I'll swap them out.

But what's concerning is that it happened after only a couple years of use. We have seen melted ones, but have we seen them deteriorate like this before?
The same thing happened to me after a couple of years of use as well. I called Wevo about it and IIRC they sent me new pillows. They were surprised to hear that this happened. They could have possibly been torqued too tight during one of my service visits but I'll never know. I stuck with blacks. Let us know how blues compare.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Teardown begins. Suspension madness...