Teardown begins. Suspension madness... - Page 77 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices
964 Forum
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Teardown begins. Suspension madness...

Old 01-11-2019, 01:40 PM
Enso
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gregmitch View Post
EJBMG lol.
Say bye bye to those brazilian silver coils and hello to reliability.
Bravo to Rob for making another 993 kit and to Kingsborne for making my new wires.
this looks familiar
how all is well

Enso
Old 01-11-2019, 05:03 PM
gregmitch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Enso View Post
this looks familiar
how all is well

Enso
She's running strong
Old 01-11-2019, 07:46 PM
Enso
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gregmitch View Post
She's running strong
Great news!
Old 02-13-2019, 05:08 PM
dukmon
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Goughary View Post
So here we are years later...and you'd think what's done is done...

But noooooooo

I had bought KW V3 for my car, and those of you with more experience with KW can chime in here. The 964 struts are held on by two m12 Allen bolts. The KW i have, have a hole at the bottom that is 14mm, which is stupid, because that means the camber can change. And therefore other angles as well, though in reality, not a huge amount. But the camber change can be pretty massive.

Here are some quick shots. The measuring isn't super accurate, but you get the point.

Attachment 1291118

Attachment 1291119

Attachment 1291117

Soooooo, what to do?

I bought a set of reducing inserts made for the purpose...

Attachment 1291116

I also need to modify the upper hole on the upright as well, so that the strut can't slip in that one as well. There is not need to have camber adjustment on the upright when you have camber plates. So I'll get that worked out so things can be done a bit more accurately and stay put.

KW has shipped reducing washers without protest to my mechanic. Thank you for bringing this issue to light.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:37 AM
Goughary
Super User

Good to know they are coming around. They might come off my "will never buy again" list if they include the washers with all 964 purchases, and include the information on their website and in their sales materials, so that 964 buyers can make a properly informed decision prior to buying.

This is quite possibly the most ridiculous issue I've ever seen, and could be the most ridiculous response from a manufacturer.

On another note, once I'm done w the the car in my garage, I'll be pulling the wheels off my car after a winter of driving on the aftermarket step down washers i had bought (because kw said they wouldn't send me theirs). My concern with the aftermarket step down washers is not knowing anything about the material they are made of, i have no way of knowing if the material is hard enough to stay properly torqued. So fairly soon after a good amount of hard driving and lots are temperature changes I'll be checking in on them and will report back.

Keep in mind. In my opinion, this is a safety issue. And due to it being a safety issue- this is my only concern relative to the response and handling of this on the part of kw. Over all, as a strut, it's a good product. Just that it doesn't attach properly for an oem 964 upright - this is concerning when the manufacturer has been alerted to the issue and first response was "no it's not an issue", when it was being pointed out very specifically and then didn't offer to immediately remediate at their expense, which is, in the case of step down washers, a few dollars per car.

Anyway. Back to the latest suspension madness on the 92 Cab. All the suspension parts are in and I'm ready for tear down and rebuild. Guess who's product we aren't using....

Last edited by Goughary; 02-17-2019 at 05:06 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:58 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Goughary View Post
This is quite possibly the most ridiculous issue I've ever seen, and could be the most ridiculous response from a manufacturer.
The only assumption you can make about Porsche aftermarket products is that there was zero engineering put into them.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:10 PM
Richard H
User

The latest installation manual notes that the spacer is included and it must be fitted for M12 bolts. Looks like they have taken notice.
http://docs.kwsuspension.de/ea-KWGFwEA-h68671018.pdf
Old 02-16-2019, 10:10 PM
Goughary
Super User

Nice. That means they are almost off my "don't ever buy this product" list.

Let's hope they start to just send them to anyone that calls that has these on their car. Needing the original receipt is bs. I understand why they require it- but it's just short sighted since it's a safety issue, and someone is going to call them at fault, since it is their fault that the washers needed to be supplied in the first place.

Anyway- on to the fun stuff.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:17 PM
Goughary
Super User

Tore down the 92 cab today.

Installed poly rack bushings and a rothsport steering brace...

Name:  photo814.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  1.06 MB

Name:  photo192.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  1.01 MB

And one rs tie rod:

Name:  photo477.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  1.64 MB

And had the springs mounted. I don't touch springs- i don't do them often enough to warrant buying the proper tools- and without the proper tools, it's really stupid to play around with springs. Sooooo, that's my suggestion, for anyone that owns or is apt to buy cheep spring compressors- throw them away, and pay a shop to mount your springs.

Name:  photo908.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  1.02 MB

We went with H&R sport springs - originally we were going to do struts, but when i received the car we found he had b6 bilsteins already, so since we are sticking with a fairly compliant setup, we did new springs and allocated the budget to things like RS inner tie rods...much better bang for the buck- relative to how the car will be used.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Teardown begins. Suspension madness...

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: