Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 05:57 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 431 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Turbo look or widebody?
Ahhhhhhhh yes...

In that case...the answer is "they all use the same mounts. What fits one fits the other"
Old 01-28-2016, 12:34 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Today the rear calipers got finished up. New seals, all corrosion behind the spring plates gone. Pads fit great not and on to the fronts...

On the spring plate bolts, I tried a mapp torch per the earlier posts. No dice. I think I needed the flame to be a bit narrower so it was more focused only on that bolt. The flame was too wide and there was too much heat on the seals and other parts of the caliper. So I went back to welding allens onto the bolt heads and got them out. Not pretty but it worked. New bolts are in.

And then for a little detailing, I took a wire wheel to the exhaust tip and called it a day. Back at it again tomorrow...

Name:  photo175.jpg
Views: 804
Size:  933.1 KB
Old 01-28-2016, 12:55 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,123 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary
They are MSI. Shoot me a pm or call me when you get there and I'll give you the run down...
Msi are the best studs out there. By far. Use on all my cars.

Mine are the 10.0009 they are a little longer and have a longer nose. You can see pics in my build thread installed with e88 wheels.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:49 AM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Msi are the best studs out there. By far. Use on all my cars.

Mine are the 10.0009 they are a little longer and have a longer nose. You can see pics in my build thread installed with e88 wheels.
It was your thread that got me interested in them.

I want to go a little longer too. In case I need a spacer for different wheels.

Do you just order directly from them? I can't seem to find anyone that sells Porsche one, only BMW.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:51 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Nothing big to report today. We installed the cargraphic q pipe, the new primary muffler and the oem cat. (Had a cat bypass and cup pipe). Buttoned up the engine bay, reinstalled the heater blower motor and the coils. (Sadly, 993 coil upgrade isn't in the cards till later for this one).

Then, we took out the dme relay. Cranked it over till the oil pressure came up. Installed the solid state relay, and gave it a start. So nice to hear it run. First time it has been started since thanksgiving...

We are so close now to finishing. I need to install the mpl clutch slave and new oem line, then the left rear axle, trailing arm, spring plate, and torque everything on both sides of the rear. Then ebrakes, rotors, rear calipers and pads.
Then rebuild the front brakes. And we are on the ground and hopefully out for alignment.

This has been an enormous undertaking. I didn't write so much of the behind the scenes work that's been done. It's been more than a full time job since November. Everything from the subframes down is new, restored, or massively upgraded.

Just wish I had some pics from today.

We need a front windshield, so if anyone has a line on a good used one within driving distance of ct or a source for an inexpensive new one, lemme know.

And, lastly, I'll just say this. If anyone reading this has any heat shield or underbelly tray held on with oem stainless speed nuts, take them off and replace them. There has never been, in the history of industrial design, a design as poorly thought out, as the oem Porsche speed nut.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:01 PM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had to google speed nut.... I had every under tray and both bumpers off and still didn't know what that setup was called... In my climate all were in good shape... Lip of front bumper alone has 15-20 ... Are you saying just replace with new due to corrosion ?
Old 01-28-2016, 07:18 PM
jpar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C4inLA
Had to google speed nut.... I had every under tray and both bumpers off and still didn't know what that setup was called... In my climate all were in good shape... Lip of front bumper alone has 15-20 ... Are you saying just replace with new due to corrosion ?
I think he's referring to the 6mm machine thread ones, they're garbage.

Old 01-28-2016, 07:52 PM
Goughary
Race Car

That's the one! Horrible little buggers. What a terrible design. I had to drill two out today.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:46 PM
gavonder
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 105 Posts

Do you just replace with a regular nut, or is there a better version of the original? Those things are all over the 993.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:08 PM
jpar
Rennlist Member

I replaced them with this style.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:57 PM
Goughary
Race Car

It's really too bad that no one makes a good stainless one. Go to McMaster Carr and buy those bulk in steel. And replace them as they get rusty and old...
Old 01-28-2016, 11:13 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,123 Posts

Originally Posted by DobermanDad
It was your thread that got me interested in them.

I want to go a little longer too. In case I need a spacer for different wheels.

Do you just order directly from them? I can't seem to find anyone that sells Porsche one, only BMW.
Yep just call them up. Super helpful and nice guys.

I think with e88 not sure thickness of middle compared to stock I could run a 5mm spacer and still have threads showing. For a thicker spacer maybe need a bit longer. They had 4 custom lengths in this style one was a bit longer than the 52 I got. Keep in mind bullnose is in addition.

But once you go bull nose studs you don't want anything else. Makes wheel changes so easy.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:50 AM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Yep just call them up. Super helpful and nice guys.

I think with e88 not sure thickness of middle compared to stock I could run a 5mm spacer and still have threads showing. For a thicker spacer maybe need a bit longer. They had 4 custom lengths in this style one was a bit longer than the 52 I got. Keep in mind bullnose is in addition.

But once you go bull nose studs you don't want anything else. Makes wheel changes so easy.
Nice!
Old 01-30-2016, 11:20 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Getting closer. Today we finally had all the parts together for the MPL slave install. Good thing I had an old slave with a good boot cuz the one that came off the car was torn.
Name:  photo937.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  959.2 KB
Name:  photo626.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  1.15 MBName:  photo455.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  1,000.0 KBName:  photo16.jpg
Views: 705
Size:  978.4 KB

Something I don't understand is that I had been told the MPL slave uses 30% more volume and that's why it'll lighten the pedal. But this slave looks identical to the one I took apart, so I can't see how it could possibly make a change. Since I keep hearing stories and not hearing actual accounts...once again I gotta do it myself and tell you all what the real deal is...so that's coming. If the pedal is lighter, I'll be happily suprised...

Now, keep in mind there are a bunch of parts to swap from your current slave if you make this change. But that swap is very easy. See exploded view.

Name:  photo349.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  1.02 MBName:  photo401.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  1.02 MBName:  photo344.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  1,022.5 KBName:  photo290.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  1,010.5 KBName:  photo202.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  1.08 MB

We went with stainless speed bleeders for the slave and the brakes. Speed bleeder for what ever reason no single intelligent person on the planet will remotely understand, decided to use an sae size wrench on a metric bleeder. So the bleeder is M6x1 but you use a 5/16 wrench with it.

Name:  photo751.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  1.11 MBName:  photo7.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  1.17 MB

Also keep in mind the housing on this slave is aluminum. You'll always have to be careful to not over tighten your bleeder. Don't want to strip it and have to replace it again.

Putting it in- you need to attach the hose to the slave first, then attach the hose to the hardline and then put the slave in and screw on the 13mm nuts with a thin 1/4 drive ratchet. Not much room up there. The 13mm nuts are locking nuts. Keep that in mind if you decide to replace them. McMaster Carr is your friend for these things...

Name:  photo92.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  780.1 KBName:  photo529.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  1.12 MB
Old 01-30-2016, 11:51 PM
jpar
Rennlist Member

Let us know what you think of the mpl slave, I have one in my car, it seemed to make a little difference at first, but now I think I'm used to it.

Did you try an 8 mm wrench on the bleeder? It's virtually the same as 5/16.

Quick Reply: Teardown begins. Suspension madness...