Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Teardown begins. Suspension madness...

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 07:08 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

Hardest part of a caliper rebuild, so I'm told, is removing the spring plate bolts. And true enough, after weeks of soaking them in pb blaster, four of the bolts rounded out and wouldn't crack. So off to Mr Kim where we welded Allen wrenches to the heads of the bolts and they all cracked except one, which just bent the Allen...so we cut the allen off and welded a 13mm nut on the shaft and cracked with a bang...out she came. On to new seals and new stainless speed bleeders (and cleaning)...
Attached Images      
Old 11-23-2015, 07:09 PM
Goughary
Race Car

And this, btw, is why we get plate lift and sticking brake pads...
Attached Images    
Old 11-23-2015, 07:11 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Next up, hardware rehab. More to come, but the idea is to send it all out for yellow zinc plating. If the quote isn't too high, out they go, if t is, plan b....
Attached Images   
Old 11-23-2015, 07:11 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Sacrificial lambs...
Attached Images   
Old 11-23-2015, 07:18 PM
MikeP.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are you sure

you want to visit family and play with Mazda race cars on a track? I think it would be more fun for you to stay home and work on the lobster rocket with me.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:38 PM
Goughary
Race Car

I'll say it, and you can all kill me for it after you stop dry heaving....

But spec miatas are more fun than 964s...just sayin.

It's ok to hate me for saying that. My wife wants to kill me everytime I want to bring home a 96 NA 1.8 liter Miata with no power steering or AC...(to begin the process of making it awesomer)

But for now...it's 964s only. I need a barn find C4 and a C4 targa...
Old 11-24-2015, 07:05 PM
spenny_b
Rennlist Member

Goughary, I've sent many bags of fixings to my local plating shop here in the UK, and ive never paid more than £40-50 for each batch....admittedly I've never been as organised as you with getting the same amount of fixings done, but because of my (by commercial standards) small requirement, I'm sure I've incurred more than a little "annoyance-tax" along the way...which is fair enough, worth it for the convenience and speedy turnaround. So...if I was taking that batch to my shop, I'd be surprised if it was more than £100 ($140-150)...usually priced on weight and whether they have any other similar jobs being done at the same time.

I was told by my plating shop that BZP can be done using two different methods; acid dip and cyanide dip....acid dipping is a lot cheaper but less robust and used for commodity shinyness.....the better method is cyanide dipping, it's more tolerant of weather etc but it's more expensive (handling and disposal costs). It also doesn't come up so bright, thus when dyed with the yellow finish, it's unlikely to look like the gold bolts you buy down the hardware store, but more of a dull yellow, especially on older parts like you're doing (or a dull silver if not dying)...and of course, we all know what we'd opt for, for our requirements!

HTH
Spencer
Old 11-24-2015, 07:12 PM
MikeP.
Instructor

That's it Rob, we've got to find a reasonable local shop. I don't care how shiny they are; just clean and rust resistant.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:33 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Spencer...I love that you think me organized....

I have a 5 gallon bucket of Apple cider vinegar in the garage, and its literally full to the rim with nuts, bolts washers, hubs, wheel carriers, and spring plates...

If I get hit by a bus, apparently I am the only one that knows where all those nuts and bolts go, so there will be an unbuilt lobster rocket in my garage waiting for some butter...(Darren)...

PS - I was told yesterday "you are the guy that posts too much and everyone stops reading."

Oops.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:41 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Today was sofa blasting day. Round one. We may or may not go further with the blasting. It was cold and they became "clean enough"

But once the hardware is back and everything is shiny, it may be nice to have these a bit cleaner. It'll come down to time and weather in the end since this happens outside.
Attached Images   
Old 11-24-2015, 11:43 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Another progress shot of the rust on the oil hoses from under the tank.

Getting closer to being ready to paint them for future rust protection.
Attached Images     
Old 11-24-2015, 11:48 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Unfortunately we didn't take pictures of the axles prior to wrapping and bagging them. We wrapped them first with wads of toilet paper and then to hold that together while wet, further wrapped with paper towels. And soaked them in Apple cider vinegar and put them in ziplock bags so the cider vinegar wouldn't simply evaporate.

Some of this is time consuming, but since we are waiting anyway on a bunch of other things, all this rust removal is really happening during the dead time in between.

Cv's get rebuilt next week.
Attached Images     
Old 11-25-2015, 03:10 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Garage is shuttered. Happy Thanksgiving all....
Old 11-25-2015, 06:59 PM
Porschenut_Lee
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Happy Thanksgiving Rob, Thanks for contributing to the community in such detail. I've enjoyed the thread and it'll certainly come in handy for me down the road.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:35 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Btw we found a place to do a whole bucket of bolts in yellow zinc for 50 dollars (or something like that.

I'm in Houston for the remainder of the week. So no more progress till I get back . Once we get back the hardware from the plater, I'll post which shop it is. I won't prior only because of the horror stories I've seen. So let's get through a trial and if they are good, at least I can make a good recommendation...

And thanks for the complement Lee...you should drop in and take a look at your old car sometime...it's coming along...even though it still has bad oil diarrhea....real bad...

Quick Reply: Teardown begins. Suspension madness...