Sponsored by:

Lash adjust Go No Go approach?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 05:35 PM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lash adjust Go No Go approach?

Think I will try this next valve adjustment. Also, gonna make a 9m 36 degree "thing a majiggie" ....

Regarding backside method, when using the feeler gauges, it assumes the rocker is sitting on the backside of cam lifter, correct? And as feeler is inserted, we lift the rocker as we slide the .0025 for GO and .0030 for NO GO...

My question;

AS a general Rocker function question, what has rocker tensioned to always rest on cam lobe in general? Help me to understand my silly little question.....

Another way to say it, there is lash clearance at the tappet, so what keeps rocker foot on cam lobe at all times?

Last edited by C4inLA; 09-13-2015 at 12:09 AM.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:43 AM
fasterlaster
Racer

I just finished an adjustment on my 89, and used the Kirk tool which is similar in theory to the 9m thing. For me this is personal preference, but I'll go back to feeler gauge. The need for visual inspection in some of the odd angles you might have to contort your body made my confidence level a little lower.

I have some ideas, but no real answers for your other questions. I can say based on VW engines valves that metal expands, and may take up some of the lash. I suspect this is accurate for the Porsche engine as well, but have not validated this.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:04 AM
Harry Apps
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by C4inLA
My question;

AS a general Rocker function question, what has rocker tensioned to always rest on cam lobe in general? Help me to understand my silly little question.....

Another way to say it, there is lash clearance at the tappet, so what keeps rocker foot on cam lobe at all times?
Think you're missing the point. The clearance is to ensure that the rocker is not resting on /or tensioned against the cam lobe unless the valve is being opened. This ensures that the valve opens/closes the correct amount and at the correct time. That's basic engine stuff!

Old 09-13-2015, 01:30 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Some time back - there was a special valve adjustment tool that was made by a rennlister or a family member. Was a very simple device that measured the turn to the amount of adjustment. Can not recall who contributed info - appeared to be a good device and a good deal for the $$ - should have grabbed one then -
Anyone recall who posted -
Really made the operation simple -
Old 09-13-2015, 02:03 PM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

Sorry, didn't get my question answered. It's a Rocker function thing..... Assume lash is perfect at 1.0 mm... Go/No Go perfect at rocker foot. So with both tasks complete, is rocker floating? Or, does foot rest against cam at all times? Because, if not, foot and cam have many impact events to each other at same spot on cam over time vs cam and foot always in contact 360 degrees of rotation.... ?
Old 09-13-2015, 02:08 PM
velocitylover
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus
Some time back - there was a special valve adjustment tool that was made by a rennlister or a family member. Was a very simple device that measured the turn to the amount of adjustment. Can not recall who contributed info - appeared to be a good device and a good deal for the $$ - should have grabbed one then -
That member was Tbennett017 and here is a good link to the method:
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...available.html
Old 09-13-2015, 02:37 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry, didn't get my question answered. It's a Rocker function thing..... Assume lash is perfect at 1.0 mm... Go/No Go perfect at rocker foot. So with both tasks complete, is rocker floating? Or, does foot rest against cam at all times? Because, if not, foot and cam have many impact events to each other at same spot on cam over time vs cam and foot always in contact 360 degrees of rotation.... ?
There is a constant spray of oil aimed at the cam lobes, which will dampen any impact between rocker "foot" and cam, and at the same time act as an adhesive, keeping rocker arm and lobe in contact. JMOO

Trending Topics

Old 09-13-2015, 03:39 PM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

Thanks Mr. Bennett for a great idea.... Love those kind of videos too...
Old 09-14-2015, 06:33 AM
fasterlaster
Racer

Originally Posted by Gus
It might be this

Which is what I used. Quality is top notch but I think I prefer the feeler gauge method.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:54 AM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fasterlaster
I prefer the feeler gauge method.
I second this.

Good gauge is all that is needed.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:47 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

NO not that - this was very simple device you slid on to the screw drive - worked as pointer. Some one figured out that a 1/4 or 1/2 turn was equal to 1.0 mm ( required gap) . So you just slid this arrow like device on your screw driver, adjusted adjusted to "0 mm" then backed off the necessary portion of turn using the device to determine correct rotation. Simple and sweet. No check needed.
Old 09-15-2015, 03:37 PM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

Got a dial gauge coming to practice timing cams and will check lash on few... Feeler gauge backup, Go No Go double check back up... But, a one turn, no check, sign me up

Last edited by C4inLA; 09-15-2015 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Valves
Old 09-15-2015, 04:57 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Got a dial gauge coming to practice timing cams and will check lash on few... Feeler gauge backup, Go No Go double check back up... But, a one turn, no check, sign me up

You are overthinking this whole valve lash setting thing. There is no magic tool that will give you spot on valve clearance of 0.1 mm every time, and you should definitely go back and check all the settings a second time. I use the Porsche tool with the small feeler gauge for my initial setting, then go around again and check them all using the back side method. It will take you a few try's with the Porsche tool, to get it right, but after that, it's pretty straight forward.

Old 09-15-2015, 07:20 PM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

I was being sarcastic regarding "one turn" ... I agree, backside in combo with tappet method of choice works for me... Moving on ...
Old 09-16-2015, 10:32 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

this was very simple device you slid on to the screw drive - worked as pointer. Some one figured out that a 1/4 or 1/2 turn was equal to 1.0 mm ( required gap) . So you just slid this arrow like device on your screw driver, adjusted adjusted to "0 mm" then backed off the necessary portion of turn using the device to determine correct rotation. Simple and sweet. No check needed.
Thank you Colin!

The "9m" valve adjusting tool

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-1989-1994-911/466804-the-9m-valve-adjusting-tool.html

Quick Reply: Lash adjust Go No Go approach?