Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   964 CARRERA 4 ABS AND PDAS INTERFACE TEST SET – VOLUNTEERS? (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/890565-964-carrera-4-abs-and-pdas-interface-test-set-o-volunteers.html)

cajonfan 08-27-2015 06:55 PM

964 CARRERA 4 ABS AND PDAS INTERFACE TEST SET – VOLUNTEERS?

1 Attachment(s)
A number of C4 owners have stated that they would be interested in a C4 version of the ABS test set I designed for the C2. Since you C4 guys can get the ABS/PDAS controller to give you status via the Hammer or similar scan tool, I think my job is to help you validate all the peripheral equipment and wiring via the 55 pin ABS/PDAS connector. To that end, I have attached a sketch of what the unit’s user interface would look like.

Additional indicators are provided to display the PDAS Warning and the Lock Switch status, (as well the operational status of the unit’s 5V power supply to power the C4’s two accelerometers).

Additional jacks are provided to measure the two accelerometer outputs and the control interfaces to the Lateral and Longitudinal locking valves.

55 test points are provided to assist in wiring checks.

A large part of the C4 unique effort is the mechanical packaging design to work with your bigger 55 pin connector. This design has been completed and the first prototype parts are currently being made.

For reference, I am planning to offer the C2 version at $250 (plus core, plus shipping). My guess going in is that the C4 version will have to sell for about $300 to break even.

I have a window of time where I will be waiting for C2 owners to place orders prior to the start of C2 production. I would like to find three C4 owners to help in the final development of the C4 version during this time – here’s my proposal -

You fund the material cost of your prototype unit for the same $300 the final version should cost in small lot production. I’ll cover the core units and US shipping.

You exercise your prototype unit and the draft test procedure on your vehicle and provide your comments and measurement data in order to help improve the product. If we run into issues that require hardware updates, you evaluate the updates when I provide them.

When we’re happy with the product, you may elect to keep your prototype unit or trade it in for a “production” version. Finally, with respect to costs, if the production version ends up being cheaper than $300, (for example, due to quantity discounts), I’ll reimburse you the difference. So unless we collectively screw-up completely, you should have minimal cost risk. In exchange, all I ask is that you communicate as openly as possible and waive any rights to the design of the units.

My goal is to provide you and the C4 community with the best interface testing device possible so that we can keep our cars in top condition well into the future. If I can have some fun and not lose my hobby budget along the way - even better.

Please send me a PM if you would like to “volunteer”. We can use this thread to discuss technical questions and details that many might be interested in.

Thanks,
Michael (cajonfan)

Duck 08-27-2015 07:56 PM

I would definitely do it, but my car is currently out of comission waiting on a rebuilt engine.

I do have a spare C4 PDAS/ABS unit that is non-operative that I could donate to the cause if it would help to test or parts.

YaHoo! 08-27-2015 09:29 PM

As a tester of the C2 prototype I can vouch for Michael as being an honest guy with an excellent and simple to use tester. The tester has been extremely easy to use with clear directions (but you have to read them). Call me a geek but it's actually kind of fun checking the various components with the tester.

I feel certain the C4 tester will be of equal quality and worth the investment and with a trustworthy person. The semi-equivalent Bosch tester has been described by a fellow Rennlister as "rare as hen's teeth."

My impression is that Michael is an electronics whiz with a passion for 964s.

Duck 08-27-2015 09:37 PM

Wish I could try. I assume I need a car back together with the transmission in the car.

alexjc4 08-28-2015 01:43 AM

I'd be happy to be a tester/early adopter, I'm the UK though, assuming you would rather US based?

freedman 08-28-2015 04:17 AM

If possible Alex is the ideal person to test it, he might actually understand what its doing and what the outputs mean :)

Goughary 08-28-2015 09:35 AM

964 CARRERA 4 ABS AND PDAS INTERFACE TEST SET – VOLUNTEERS?

I'm happy to be a tester. Please pm me and let me know.

mpotvin 08-28-2015 09:38 AM

I'm in Seattle and would be glad to be part of the C4 test, thx Mark

964George 08-28-2015 10:18 AM

I'd gladly be a tester too, but like Alex, I'm also in Blighty, will happily pay any postage etc..
Oh, and my C4 has recently had a fluid change when brakes were upgraded.
Had a few dash alarms afterwards but seems to be running without issue now.

BLACK-BETTY 08-28-2015 10:28 AM

Subscribed

cajonfan 08-28-2015 06:19 PM

Wow, it looks like we may have four brave adventurous souls. I'll contact you all via pm to get started.

Thanks again for all the interest,
Michael (cajonfan)

rarebear 08-30-2015 06:22 AM

Test pilot

Hi there, I am in The Netherlands but would like to test this Gizmo ,Been working on my ABS lately, a broken speedsensor and used a multimeter on the ABS interface.
Please count me in !

spartansix 10-27-2015 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Goughary
I'm happy to be a tester. Please pm me and let me know.

Would be pretty great if you get one, since that would let us try it on 4-5 different 964s.

freedman 10-28-2015 04:37 AM

See feedback on the C2 version is excellent, any progress with the C4 testers?

cajonfan 10-28-2015 01:57 PM

C4 ABS Test Set Status Update

1 Attachment(s)
The C4 prototype units have shipped. Hopefully there will be some user feedback in a few weeks. These came out pretty nicely and incorporate many of the improvements from the C2 Beta testing.

Please stay tuned,
Michael