Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 08:59 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by GoKart
Any tips on the windshield replacement?

Is it bonded into place?

Also, Safelite quoted less than $400 to replace my windshield... what am I going to get for that kinda money?
It is a bear of a job. Although I have seen the pros break these on install.

Unless you have a full day to commit and a helper I would say the $400 is worth it and if they break it they have to replace it.

In any case it requires removal of the dash to access the radio antenna amplifier. It is easy to do and might be something you want to do by yourself even if you have the windshield installed professionally.

I also recommend using a new factory windshield seal which runs around $130.

It is easiest to cut the old seal to remove the old windshield instead of trying to pry the old one off. If you think you are up for the task I can give you a step by step approach but it takes time and patience. I highly recommend discussing with the installer that he properly clean all the old adhesive or any remaining rubber off the frame of the car prior to trying to reinstall. It will allow the windshield to pull into place much better and less chance of cracking the new windshield.

I have installed a number of these and I have had some that take a few hours and pop right into place and others that have taken the better part of the day and all of my patience.

Another concern is more times than not you will find rust around the lower right portion of the frame. This is common on a lot of cars. You might want to address this assuming it is not to extreme prior to reinstalling.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:09 AM
GoKart
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

You think for only $400 they're going to remove the dash?

I'm also not sure if I want a Safelite guy removing my dash... how familiar can they be with a 964 dash....?
Old 08-26-2015, 10:13 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by GoKart
You think for only $400 they're going to remove the dash?

I'm also not sure if I want a Safelite guy removing my dash... how familiar can they be with a 964 dash....?
There is no other way to remove and install the antenna wire into the amplifier.

That is why I recommended removing the dash prior to them installing the windshield yourself. It is relatively easy to remove the dash i am sure they have some written procedure.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:11 PM
GoKart
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I wonder what kind of windshield Safelite will provide. Will it be a Pilkington/good quality?

Quick Reply: Best Source for OE Windshield?