Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hex bolts insert rounded - help

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 06:15 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

I'm dropping my engine and gearbox for the first time. So far so good with fasteners until now The right hand half shaft has an awkward placement and I could see some of the hex insert holes were rounded. Probably because someone didn't take enough care and/or fitted already rounded bolts. Anyway, I managed to get four of the six loose but two won't shift and are definitely too rounded to use the hex tool. I can't cut the head off or use heat. What do the old hands suggest? Maybe file flats on the head and use a spanner? Or cut slots and try a screwdriver. They are well torqued so I'm not sure which of the web methods will work.
Attached Images  
Old 08-09-2015, 06:29 AM
young_dennis
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
I'm dropping my engine and gearbox for the first time. So far so good with fasteners until now The right hand half shaft has an awkward placement and I could see some of the hex insert holes were rounded. Probably because someone didn't take enough care and/or fitted already rounded bolts. Anyway, I managed to get four of the six loose but two won't shift and are definitely too rounded to use the hex tool. I can't cut the head off or use heat. What do the old hands suggest? Maybe file flats on the head and use a spanner? Or cut slots and try a screwdriver. They are well torqued so I'm not sure which of the web methods will work.
Wouldn't some vice grips loosen it up enough to use hands or just keep using the vice grips
Old 08-09-2015, 06:32 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by young_dennis
Wouldn't some vice grips loosen it up enough to use hands or just keep using the vice grips
Tried the ones I have but I suspect super cheap auto ones aren't the best quality.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:01 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Depending on how bad the Allen head is stripped, this may work. Dip the head of the Allen wrench in some motor oil, then roll in some fine sand. The sand takes up the space, and gives some purchase. Worked for me on some steering rack bolts.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:09 AM
tdiquattro
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I had the same issue, cut the heads off the bolts with a dremel, then wound out the remainder of the bolts once the driveshaft was moved away from the flange enough to grab the bolt. replaced mine with these spline bolts - miles better and will never round out, exactly the right size -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200806579563
Old 08-09-2015, 10:07 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts
Default Hex bolts insert rounded - help

Originally Posted by tdiquattro
I had the same issue, cut the heads off the bolts with a dremel, then wound out the remainder of the bolts once the driveshaft was moved away from the flange enough to grab the bolt. replaced mine with these spline bolts - miles better and will never round out, exactly the right size -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200806579563
Keep in mind c2 and c4 use different sizes.

Your bolts from the factory should have been triple square xzn heads....so are the bolts you are removing a later replacement?

McMaster Carr will be you're friend if you are in the states. Not sure abroad where to buy good hard replacement Allen head bolts. Be sure to coat the heads with something water repellent after replacing them. It'll help with future rust.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:57 AM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hammer a torqx bit one size larger into the round hole. It'll come right out.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:24 AM
tdiquattro
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

sorry:- to clarify, mine is a C4 and it was the fronts, originals are allen/hex head bolts as in OPs pic.
I replaced them with m8 12 spline.

eta - (C4 front and rear are all M8x50 as in VAG cars) (C2 are M10 ) so my replacement selection works for all 4 inner CV joints on C4s, the reason is the M8 hex bolts strip easily.

Last edited by tdiquattro; 08-09-2015 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:08 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I removed the CV boot, which had a well hidden tear - (win!) and the actuator so I have more room to work. I will try all of the suggestions until one works. Nothing else so far has been an issue, I'm just slow. Sure I could have given this drop to a shop, but based on this type of fastener issue I'm more thorough than some and this is about long term ownership.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:34 PM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FWIW I've had success with vice grips (good ones, ViceGrip brand) and also beating int the next-size-up tool.

My replacements came from McMaster-Carr; way cheaper.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:12 PM
jpar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Find a 12 point socket that will just fit over the head of the bolt. Using the next size down on an extension, hammer the socket onto the head until it seats. The socket will bite into the bolt and you should be able to break it loose. I've been doing this on damaged allen bolts for years and it's never failed me.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:32 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Update: a proper set of vice grips shifted one so I have one hold out. I'm cutting the head off.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:23 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Head cutoff, flange split and thread unscrewed. Success. Thanks everyone.
Attached Images    
Old 08-10-2015, 04:30 PM
ray stobbs
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

plus one on grind the head off and remove the stud after flange is out of the way
Old 08-11-2015, 05:30 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Swings and roundabouts with the engine drop; the 36mm rear oil line connection was a walk in the park. 32mm and 36mm spanners and a modest amount of muscle and it unfastened. I think I'm in the relative clear now.

Quick Reply: Hex bolts insert rounded - help