Sponsored by:

Durametric or other OBD1 Reader

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 02:00 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 125 Posts
Default Durametric or other OBD1 Reader

What, if anything, are you guys using for a code reader on your 964? Is anything worthwhile other than the hammer for thousands of $?
Old 07-23-2015, 02:09 PM
Doms964TurboII
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking into this the other day.
19pin to OBD2 £5 on amazon
OBD2 to USB even less on eBay
Software for OBD2 free download of you look.
What I don't know is if the OBD2 software can read the data coming from the car.
Anyone?
Old 07-23-2015, 02:19 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

I have a pdt999

Let me know if you need to use it and I'll bring it to the next N9O meet and we can read whatever codes you have. If you have a C4 and need to bleed the system...just bring 6 liters of Ate200 some weekend and we can do that...
Old 07-23-2015, 02:24 PM
ray stobbs
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bought a 19pin extensoin to my obd2 reader and nothing wont pick up any signal or power gave up in the end
Old 07-23-2015, 03:51 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

There are 2 that most of us use:
Scantool - support our Rennlist genius: http://www.bergvillfx.com/
Durametric w/ the 19 pin adaptor
Old 07-23-2015, 04:22 PM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LouZ
There are 2 that most of us use:
Scantool - support our Rennlist genius: http://www.bergvillfx.com/
Durametric w/ the 19 pin adaptor
I have Tore's as well, although it doesn't connect to my car for some reason, even tried a replacement cable with Tore's pin adapter.

Tore did mention that cheaper Ebay cables are wired inproperly to the pins, so that may be why some people have an issue connecting.
Old 07-23-2015, 05:15 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary
I have a pdt999

Let me know if you need to use it and I'll bring it to the next N9O meet and we can read whatever codes you have. If you have a C4 and need to bleed the system...just bring 6 liters of Ate200 some weekend and we can do that...
thanks for the offer....don't have an immediate need, other then the pesky seatbelt/airbag light on the clock. Just thought I should be prepared.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:56 PM
91flatVI
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to www.sensolutions.com for the 19 pin cable. I had heard they designed the cable for Durametric so I purchased one from them and it works great. Once you have the cable you just need the older Durametric software which i found online. Seatbelt/airbag light is no longer a problem.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:32 PM
Duck
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Goughary (or other PDT999 owners),

Does your PDT999 cycle the HVAC system (servos and fans)? When I try to run that option, it does not work. Cannot remember the response, but will try again this weekend. I remember my homemade scantool had no problem doing that.

Thanks,
Duck
Old 07-23-2015, 10:32 PM
apanossi
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Pdt999
I have full control of hvac and the all important pdas for my c4.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:52 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Originally Posted by Duck
Goughary (or other PDT999 owners),

Does your PDT999 cycle the HVAC system (servos and fans)? When I try to run that option, it does not work. Cannot remember the response, but will try again this weekend. I remember my homemade scantool had no problem doing that.

Thanks,
Duck
I've never tried this...so I'll go with apanossi above...
Old 07-24-2015, 03:33 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 236 Posts

Thanks for the references guys.
The 964 Climate Control Module normally do not support the HVAC servo testing sequences. This was maybe introduced in later 964 models and the 993 CCU.
An off-the-shelf OBD reader/scanner will only at best be able to communicate with the Motronic engine management system in the 964/993. As far as I know, there's only a handful of systems that can do all the OBD-connected things in our cars. (Motronic, ABS, air bag, alarm and climate control)
*The Bosch Porsche "hammer" (KTS 301)or later Bosch Porsche tools as PST2, KTS500 or PIWIS
*Freeware Rennlist Scantool Windows software (serial port adapter as my T-OBD needed)
*Durametric Windows software with a proper serial cable
*Jenniskens OBD UDT/PDT999 diagnostic tool.

You will also need a working 19-pin adapter, all eBay versions I have seen (many!) are not correctly wired at all.

Cheers,
Tore
Old 07-24-2015, 08:52 AM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What software are you running with the cable? I downloaded some from Tore's site. Haven't tried it yet because I haven't bought the cables. Problem is I'm a mac user, was going to dust of an old PC laptop I have and use it strictly for the car.

I've read on quite a few post about those cheap eBay cables being wired wrong. Don't know why I keep putting off getting a reader. Will eventually. I like Gourhary's PTD999. Might be the easier route to a reader I think. Would be easier that messing around with software.

Although with a dedicated computer I could log a lot of info for the car in the garage, just have to know the software route works.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:28 AM
Goughary
Race Car

IMHO....this isn't something you need to worry too much about. The systems in our cars are so archaic that there just isn't much need for a reader. You will not use it often. But it is necessary to have one around here and there. You need it to bleed the diff locks. You need it for an adaptation....you kinda need it to read codes, but you can always use the gas pedal and count blinks on the dash to read codes as well...(although I think the very early cars don't have this functionality)

So for me, if I had a C4 (i do), I would get a pdt999 since a hammer is so expensive. I can now easily bleed my diff locks. Though with speed bleeders on the diff locks, it is possible to do without fairly easily. Otherwise. I would borrow one everytime I needed it. Cuz I would only need it once every few years...
Old 07-24-2015, 09:43 AM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Right on. Not a high priority for me at the moment. Just, really would like to be able to read fault code so I can sort issues as they arise or at least have access to something to read them. Not many people in Lansing driving older Porsches.

Yeah, the speed bleeders on the diff. locks make bleeding them pretty easy. I just sit on the floor with the door open and keep turning the switch and checking the fluid. Didn't take very long. That power bleeder is definitely well worth the money. Made bleeding the car so easy. Had a fried coming over to help me out and I was done before he even go to the my house. He was pretty surprised.

Quick Reply: Durametric or other OBD1 Reader