Sponsored by:

Engine side tins foam padding

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 04:35 PM
wachen
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine side tins foam padding

I am in the process of replacing my lower valve covers. I removed the side tins yesterday and they are not only greasy with caked on dirt, but the foam padding are pretty tattered.

I remember reading on here that you can just remove the foam without any ill effect for the valve covers and the spark plug wires....but has anyone removed the foam and replaced it with some sort of heat barrier blanket?

Like this one on Amazon:
Amazon.com: Thermo-Tec 13575 12" X 24" Adhesive Backed Heat Barrier: Automotive Amazon.com: Thermo-Tec 13575 12" X 24" Adhesive Backed Heat Barrier: Automotive

Or should I just clean the side tins and re-install them without the foam and not worry about it?

Thanks
Old 07-21-2015, 04:39 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

Get rid of all of it. It was only there to lower the amount of exterior noise to meet dot/epa standards for noise pollution...

And it's only detrimental to the motor.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:27 PM
wachen
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, they are there for noise dampening?....I will rip these tattered padding right off.
Thanks.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:32 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary
Get rid of all of it. It was only there to lower the amount of exterior noise to meet dot/epa standards for noise pollution...

And it's only detrimental to the motor.
I will have to disagree with that statement. The under tray is a known culprit for keeping the engine too hot, but those two covers on the side of the valve covers, protects not only the spark plug wires from excessive heat (if you still have the cat in place), but also from weather, rocks and other debris being flung under the car at speed. JMHO.

Old 07-21-2015, 06:43 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Installation of that heat barrier on the inside of the side shields would do what? Reflect heat back at the motor? That's not good.

The outer side of the side shields already has reflective material to block some of the exhaust heat.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:04 PM
tdiquattro
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I cleaned all mine off the backs, holds moisture as well which cant be great, just scrape it all off

I have bought additional ceramic sheets to stick on the outside over the silver foil, but havent got around to it yet (to help with the silencer and cat areas.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:25 PM
deadendd9009
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I removed it and never worried about it. Its only about sound insulation. The lower panels are fiberglass like material, they can take the heat. As previously said, the outer reflective material is doing the temperature management.
Old 07-22-2015, 02:59 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by crg53
I will have to disagree with that statement. The under tray is a known culprit for keeping the engine too hot, but those two covers on the side of the valve covers, protects not only the spark plug wires from excessive heat (if you still have the cat in place), but also from weather, rocks and other debris being flung under the car at speed. JMHO.

Noooooo, I don't mean to remove the side shields....just the foam that was packed up in there...I only have the bottom tray and foam removed on my car. I agree that heat shield/vertical pieces should definitely stay....
Old 07-22-2015, 03:19 PM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine was already removed when I got my car.
Old 07-23-2015, 04:29 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

I agree. Keep the shields but scrape of the foam.

Quick Reply: Engine side tins foam padding