Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preventative Measures?

Old 07-17-2015, 02:05 AM
kokolyia
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Preventative Measures?

Hello all, new guy here. Anyways, I'm looking to buy a Porsche 964 as I love air cooled 911s and air conditioning (993 is cool too but the 964 is my favorite by far). I plan on daily driving said car in rain or shine (I live in Florida(the retirement home of America)).
That being said, what changes should I do to the car to make it reliable/not burn down in a blazing ball of fire?

Essentially, what are some preventative measures I should take?
Old 07-17-2015, 06:47 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Get a PPI (pre purchase inspection) before you buy. That should point you in the right direction.
Since your in Florida, I would make sure the AC in functioning correctly.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:55 AM
Duck
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are concerned about fire, then have someone check all the fuel hoses. If you are really concerned, have them replaced.

For non-fire items to check, is there is a vent hose off the distributor. There is a belt in there that can break and if the vent hose is not there, it will go sooner. Maybe have a valve adjustment done if no record of last one.

Otherwise change all fluids if no record of last change. Then drive on. These cars are generally very reliable. They will leak oil, but that is to tell you there is still some in it.
Old 07-17-2015, 09:06 AM
deadendd9009
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just keep in mind if you don't wrench yourself, these cars can be very, very expensive. Get the fuel hoses inspected (reaalllly easy once the hood is opened, less so to have them replaced)

Cool, primitive cars with a very raw feeling. Im always afraid of mine being stolen, I would never daily mine. YRMV.

Good luck!
Old 07-17-2015, 09:54 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts
Default Preventative Measures?

Mine is my daily. Don't worry about it. Buy a good one. And get ready to spend to keep it your daily if you want it to stay nice. You will find all of its issues soon enough.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Preventative Measures?