Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   Godspeed Coilovers (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/883481-godspeed-coilovers.html)

Mr.Alex 07-15-2015 09:00 PM

Godspeed Coilovers

Ran across these while browsing around aimlessly. I've known Godspeed for along time do to some of their cheap intercoolers in the past, but now they seem to be more focused on suspension, and they have a kit for the 964 which seems a bit to good to be true, but who knows.

Current Price is 900$ for the set; yay or nay?

1991-94 Porsche Carrera 2 / 4 Godspeed Project MonoMAX coilover suspension kit

Applications:

1991, 1992, 1993, 1994 Porsche Carrera 2 / 4 (964 body)
Features:

Front camber plates with pillowball mount for camber adjustment
Spring rates: Front: 6 kg/mm & Rear: 12 kg/mm
40 precise levels of damper adjustment
Monotube shock design
Powder coated shock body
Lightweight aluminium shock body and brackets
52mm shock body with a 44mm internal piston
Independent ride height and spring preload adjustments
Italian IP F.A made shock oil with a high viscosity index
1 Year Warranty from Date of Purchase

Godspeed Project's MonoMAX is our premier single-adjustable coilover suspension kit. These coilovers are designed for both race and street use. The MonoMAX coilovers feature a monotube shock that is made out of a 52mm seamless carbon steel tube with a 44mm internal piston providing maximum strength and damper response. Cold wounded springs are made from high strength SAE9252 steel to optimize the balance between performance and comfort. Race quality Italian shock oil ensures consistent fluid viscosity in a wide range of temperatures which yields to consistent shock performance lap after lap. The CNC aluminium top hat is attached to the car via a pillowball mount that incorporates high performance Japanese KOYO bearing. The lower shock brackets are made out of light weight T7075 forged aluminium. The Mono-MAX offers 40 damper adjustments which adjusts both rebound and compression. Our coilover suspension kits includes a 1 year warranty.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...ccca7a106f.jpg

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...11612deb34.jpg

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...d27b994e71.jpg

pi5tolpete 07-15-2015 11:02 PM

I came across the same thing when browsing eBay for lowering springs. Nice idea. Proven?

freedman 07-16-2015 03:15 AM

They look identical to Silvers neomax

Assume same manufacturer, different branding

alexjc4 07-16-2015 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by freedman (Post 12435702)
They look identical to Silvers neomax

Assume same manufacturer, different branding

^ this

FlyinTomato 07-16-2015 10:37 AM

looks just like megan racing?

DobermanDad 07-16-2015 10:41 AM

Wish they had them for the earlier 964s. :(

freedman 07-16-2015 11:29 AM

Silvers do, apparently, so I'm surprised they don't

davidwilson11 07-16-2015 06:23 PM

Guys that is silvers and they do earlier models too. I've just fitted mine.

Ordered via Ocd Porsche in Liverpool. Facebook them and you will get a price.

Costs for the kit is amazing and the quality is out of this world.

Let me know if you need any info?

David

pi5tolpete 07-17-2015 12:16 AM

These Godspeed ones look like a really good deal. Almost too good. What am I missing?

ras62 07-17-2015 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by davidwilson11 (Post 12437420)

David

Impressions on how the car drives?

davidwilson11 07-17-2015 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by ras62 (Post 12438488)
Impressions on how the car drives?

RAS the car drives brilliant, im just about to put up a post on the 964 club on Facebook after having the geo done today.

give me ten mins and it will be there along with contact details.

pi5tolpete 07-17-2015 08:07 PM

What fb group are you referring to?

davidwilson11 07-18-2015 06:07 AM

The biggest one its something like 13k followers. I tried to post last night but it kept failing.

I'll try again today.

mkd944 07-18-2015 12:57 PM

Here is a link. And they do have them for early 964s too.

Looks like they have lots of Japanese car applications and it is not unusual to find coilovers for the Japanese cars in that price range. The price is tempting which makes everyone think this is one of those "too good to be true" deals. Maybe they haven't figured out that Porsche owners usually pay 3x more for their aftermarket parts. :D

davidwilson11 07-19-2015 08:35 AM

Mkd I've spent the weekend in the car and they are really good. I thought there was a hitch as the price was so good. Seems that they haven't cottoned on to the 3x Porsche tax we usually get hit with.

Bang for buck best money I've spent on the car.

Goughary 07-19-2015 08:58 PM

Godspeed Coilovers

I'm also considering these. For the price of camber plates and top mounts from some other guys, I can get a full set of struts, top mounts, springs and camber plates???

GROUP BUY!!!!!!!

ChaoticBliss 07-20-2015 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by davidwilson11 (Post 12439666)
RAS the car drives brilliant, im just about to put up a post on the 964 club on Facebook after having the geo done today.

give me ten mins and it will be there along with contact details.

May I ask what suspension you were running before these? Personally I'd be interested to know how they compare to the Bilstein HD/H&R setup.

Thanks

breljohn 07-20-2015 11:42 AM

I read reviews on forums (other brands) and I will pass.
Lots of terrible reviews. I wouldn't want to take a chance

ThomasC2 07-20-2015 11:43 AM

In most cases there's a connection between price and quality, and you have to cut corners to keep costs down. But sometimes it is as good as it sounds so this is interesting!

Mr.Alex 07-20-2015 11:55 AM

For the most part I would recommend taking deals like this with a grain of salt. Kits like these with exceptional pricing are not new, and in fact common in the VW scene for budget coilovers. For a little while they will be ok, and you would struggle to find differences from other suspension setups, but after a little while you will start hearing noises and just a matter of time before a shock blows. Some other forums complained of the shock needing to be almost at full stiff to not be bouncy, and after a while it started to make sounds. Theres a reason you only have a year warranty.

Godspeed is a little 'ebay special' like brand, along with a few other brands. Silvers also look like another one of these Taiwan built kits like the Godspeed, even keeping the "Maxxx" in the name. I also found Silvers under a different name while browsing around, something like HWL with similar low pricing.

I hope the Silvers work out for whoever got them, but I'm pretty skeptical.

PS: These Godspeed are now 840 shipped on fleabay

Tmistry 07-20-2015 01:36 PM

Godspeed Coilovers

Originally Posted by Mr.Alex
For the most part I would recommend taking deals like this with a grain of salt. Kits like these with exceptional pricing are not new, and in fact common in the VW scene for budget coilovers. For a little while they will be ok, and you would struggle to find differences from other suspension setups, but after a little while you will start hearing noises and just a matter of time before a shock blows. Some other forums complained of the shock needing to be almost at full stiff to not be bouncy, and after a while it started to make sounds. Theres a reason you only have a year warranty.

Godspeed is a little 'ebay special' like brand, along with a few other brands. Silvers also look like another one of these Taiwan built kits like the Godspeed, even keeping the "Maxxx" in the name. I also found Silvers under a different name while browsing around, something like HWL with similar low pricing.

I hope the Silvers work out for whoever got them, but I'm pretty skeptical.

PS: These Godspeed are now 840 shipped on fleabay

This makes me feel better about the KWV3's I just bought. The Godspeed's do look quite good. For the price, one could blow through 3 sets before being on par with Bilstiein PSS10s or KWV3s. I have to believe the price difference isn't just Pcar markup. At least I hope!

davidwilson11 07-20-2015 02:42 PM

Hi all,

Seems harsh when you haven't seen the kit. However, I understand the sceptics as I'm one too.

I asked all these questions of the silvers and still decided to get them. Same oil as the kW which is 20.

Would be good to let you know that all the components in kW are from Taiwan but built in USA.

My kit has performed really well under road tests and I'm more than happy with the kit.

I'm available to answer any questions on the kit if you have them. Ulitmently I can't say how long they will last as I've only had them a month.

davidwilson11 07-20-2015 02:44 PM

Chaoticbliss I had standard shocks and hr springs. Fairly standard stuff, it was time to replace it.

New kit is set at soft just now and it rides like for like with less body roll.

I'm going a little more hardcore soon. I'll update you.

breljohn 07-20-2015 02:53 PM

Thank you David. Keep us posted

davidwilson11 07-20-2015 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by breljohn (Post 12445876)
Thank you David. Keep us posted

Will do. I posted on the facebook 964 club if you are on there.

ras62 07-20-2015 03:29 PM

Did you also have the car geo and ride height done? Don't use facebook but would like to hear you comments if you can post them here?

Mr.Alex 07-21-2015 01:58 PM

I didn't mean to come across that harsh, its just my point of view based on experience and what I see in front of me. But now the more I look at it the Godspeeds to seem to be just rebranded Silver's.

Here is what I compared to from both [Comparing the GSP Monomax to the Silvers Neomax]:
-Nearly identical appearance, even same shape decal in exact same area, with same powdercoated base.
-Same springs rates.
-Same cold-bent springs are made from high strength SAE9252
-Same carbon seamless steel 52mm tube with a 44mm internal piston.
-Same monotube shock design.
-Same Italian IP F.A made shock oil with a high viscosity index
-Same shock brackets are made out of a T7075 forged aluminum .
-Even the same 1 year warranty.

However, I haven't tried these myself so I could be wrong on how they will hold up. If anything I hope that after a little over a year you have no issues with your Silver's and prove me wrong. On the bright side, if anyone doesn't want to pay for Silver's shipping, you can get these on ebay for really cheap. They also have an earlier car version.

ClaytoVR 07-21-2015 04:29 PM

Godspeed Coilovers

I've put KW coilovers on my last 3 vehicles. As long as they make them I'll always buy them.

davidwilson11 07-22-2015 02:59 AM

Ras, very much so. The car was set up last week. Drives superb.

The import / delivery for the silvers was 35£

pi5tolpete 09-02-2015 12:11 PM

Anyone else take the plunge and go with these yet?

Pichu 09-02-2015 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by ClaytoVR (Post 12448982)
I've put KW coilovers on my last 3 vehicles. As long as they make them I'll always buy them.

Variant 1 or 3? I am just looking for a basic coilover kit and I don't know if the extra price is worth it for V3 over V1.

I would not buy the Godspeed/ebay ones as they last about 2 years max (googled out reviews for other cars). Maybe longer for our cars as they are lighter? I would rather spend a bit more for no worry though.

Edit; did more reading. Seems like they have issues with winter driving and rust. Since I will never winter drive my car, this should be a non issue. Plus my car has less than 90K KM's on it, I don't think high mileage is an issue for me either. Hmmm. Will have a think on it! My car doesn't need suspension yet but it might be a fun winter project during winter hibernation.

davidwilson11 09-02-2015 03:45 PM

Pichu the silvers kit is awesome, I've been driving mine daily whilst the weather is good. No issues and superb setup.

Pichu 09-02-2015 08:00 PM

Pretty sure I am going Godspeed way if I can get a little better price :)

964George 09-03-2015 12:07 PM

I've had the Silvers on mine for about a month now.
Very pleased with the kit, the build quality seems very good, but only time will tell if they hold up and are any good...
My indy who installed the Silvers is used to putting KW V3 and Bilsteins on to 964s, their only negative comment was regarding the rear shock, they think the skinnier part at the bottom could be beefier, but I guess time will tell if this proves to be an issue too...

Did some miles with the kit set in the middle as my indy set it to this when they installed them and adjusted the geo to RS spec, very compliant and felt like it handled better than my old Koni/H&R setup.
Tried it on full hard, very stiff and bumpy, feels like a go-cart on rails!
Also tried on full soft, probably what standard suspension feels like, would be good for touring across Europe.

Currently I have it set to Walter Rohrl street settings! :thumbup: rear 70% hard - front 30% hard :evilgrin: The car really handles well now!
At speed on the motorway it hunkers down and sticks to road with minimal roll and on familiar roads feels like I'm carrying more speed into the bends without issue.
Not really done much B road blasting since fitting, but the little I have done, the car seemed more nimble and precise, quick changes of direction didn't unsettle the car and it's been a pleasure to drive.
:burnout:

Prbc4 09-06-2015 01:34 PM

Godspeed

Originally Posted by davidwilson11 (Post 12437420)

David

Any pics after install?? How low do they go??

964George 09-08-2015 08:06 AM

Mine have been on a month, my indy didn't set them to low as wanted them to settle before full adjustment so as not to knacker the tyres...
I'll be going back soon to get the car lowered to RS spec.

davidwilson11 09-08-2015 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Prbc4 (Post 12569357)
Any pics after install?? How low do they go??

hi mate, I'll dig some pics out for ya. It has the potential to go mental low but on a c4 I will run into problems at the front.

18T_BT 10-29-2015 10:29 PM

Any pictures or more reviews with more seat time?

ClaytoVR 10-30-2015 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by Pichu (Post 12558880)
Variant 1 or 3? I am just looking for a basic coilover kit and I don't know if the extra price is worth it for V3 over V1.

V1's for me. I didn't plan on tracking my car so I trust the preset dampers. I think they ride absolutely perfect for weekend car. Although I look forward to driving it a lot more next season :-)

Matt Andrews 10-30-2015 03:13 PM

I will admit I am a suspension snob as I have helped set up lots of different brands on street cars, race cars, and "time attack cars". And there is practically a religious war over cheap coilover kits in the japanese car communities as that market is flooded with "triple adjustable", "remote reservoir", "monotube" coilovers for $1k which in my opinion are putting window dressing on a low quality product.

If you are looking for something to change your ride height and maybe make your care stiffer, then these kits in this price range will be fine. However, if you are looking for a true performance gain, here have been my findings.
1. ask for a shock dyno for the dampers in question. Many of these "manufactures" don't have one. Which is a bad sign. The company's don't manufacture these themselves. There are a couple factories cranking these out for rebranding and they are using the same valving for many different applications. They will change the spring rate and the damper body length to meet yoru specific chassis, but leave the rest alone. Meaning a 4000lb awd car with dramatically different geometry may have the same damper a rwd 2500 lb car.
2. If they do produce a shock dyno, many of the damping adjustments don't change the shape of the curve (which is what you want) they just shift up or down. And the single adjustable dampers have a lot of cross talk - meaning the adjustments change compression and rebound at the same time making it near impossible to actually "tune" the suspension.
3. quality control isn't good in this price range. For fun, a group of friends ran several brands of "major" brands with dampers in this price range through a shock dyno and there was a lot of variance from 1 shock to another - ie the ones that were supposed to be identical simply weren't.
4. Quality springs that actually are the spring rate they are advertised as are about $300/pair. So these aren't included in these price ranges of kits. springs in these kits generally aren't uniform, so you don't know exactly what you are getting.

If someone is looking for an quality entry level set up, I've found the non-adjustable dampers from both bilstein and KW to be really nice. The adjustments are attractive, but if you aren't going to be on track with your car, I don't really see you making changes to the set up after the "new-ness" wears off.

just my 2 cents.
Matt

freedman 10-30-2015 05:24 PM

I was talking to a well respected Porsche Tech this morning. He runs his own Indy and has worked on everything since the 964 was a new model, including running cars in the current Carrera cup GB.

He has installed the Silvers on a couple of cars recently and was full of raise for them, particularly for the price. His personal choice for the best trackday set up (without going Ohlins or above) would be PSS10s but he said the Silvers were well made, rode well and offered good adjustment. Only issue was one of longevity, but that's a question that will only be answered with time.
The conversation certainly made me think they are a serious option for a weekend/track day car for less than half of what you would pay for any similar specced option

klokwerk 12-08-2015 01:36 PM

I just bought a set of these. They'll arrive on Dec 15th which will be just in time for me to install them that weekend then go on vacation to Florida!

Haven't seen any pictures posted here yet. So if you all don't mind, I'll post some up from when I install them and see what you guys think.

Hope they're as good as advertised.

Goughary 12-08-2015 01:42 PM

We are installing them on the current car in the suspension madness thread.

A good upgrade to these would be needle bearings instead of the poly slip bushing to handle spring windup. That's the part that will likely fail first due to wear.

I couldn't get a good measure but looks like the ID of the needle bearings would have to be 2.5 inches . The ounces I have from elephant are 2.25...so they wouldn't work.

Anyway, they look great and for the price, can't beat them.

02m2 12-08-2015 04:47 PM

jrz rs1

shocks shot on a recent purchase. was looking at these..any comments?
http://www.jrzsuspension.com/products/rs-line/rs1.html

klokwerk 12-09-2015 06:55 PM

Those look interesting, but not a lot of information on their site specific to the 964.
They at least say they have an application for it, but not for what years, C2 or C4.

Did you buy a set of the JRZ's? Their site doesn't have any info on prices. I guess you have to go through a distributor?

02m2 12-10-2015 01:35 AM

Ordered by TRE who is doing the work on the car. I just sent in a big check but think parts alone were around $5k ...tax and shipping but no installation.

Originally Posted by klokwerk (Post 12828316)
Those look interesting, but not a lot of information on their site specific to the 964.
They at least say they have an application for it, but not for what years, C2 or C4.

Did you buy a set of the JRZ's? Their site doesn't have any info on prices. I guess you have to go through a distributor?

PAOLOP 12-10-2015 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by klokwerk (Post 12828316)

Talk to Tim @ olsen motorsport :thumbup:
http://olsenmotorsports.net/

Ciao
Paolo

klokwerk 12-11-2015 03:23 PM

Excellent! Thanks.

For now, it appears I'll have to wait a bit before I can install my coilovers.
The Wife has gift wrapped them and says I'll have to wait until Xmas! :crying:

DobermanDad 12-11-2015 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by klokwerk (Post 12833949)
Excellent! Thanks.

For now, it appears I'll have to wait a bit before I can install my coilovers.
The Wife has gift wrapped them and says I'll have to wait until Xmas! :crying:

Gotta hate when that happens hahahahah!

I mean, sorry to hear that man.

klokwerk 12-31-2015 01:32 PM

So, I started my installation of these great looking coilovers and have a question.

https://i.imgur.com/ocFsTpDl.jpg

After preloading the spring, how do I determine the overall length of the shock to give a specific ride hight?

Here is a picture of the stock and Godspeed coilover setup for comparison.

https://i.imgur.com/grUOt90l.jpg

In all of the coil overs that I've ever used, the ride hight is adjusted by raising or lowering one of the spring perches. In Godspeed's case, you adjust it NOT from the spring perch, but by adjusting the bottom mount of the strut.

This is odd to me, but do-able. But I imagine makes it impossible to make adjustments at the track.

If any of you have installed this, can you tell me how long you made the assembly before installing it into the car?

I'm hoping I don't have to pick a length, then put it in, drop the car down on its wheels, determine that it doesn't suit me, then have to take it all apart again to adjust once more. I want to avoid that.

Thanks!

Mr.Alex 12-31-2015 09:04 PM

I don't have these, but I would set somewhere in the middle, or little lower depending on how you want your car to be. But, in theory, springs 'should' settle and change the height a bit anyway. I'd set the middle, ride around for atleast 500 miles then re-adjust and alignment.

klokwerk 12-31-2015 11:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mr Alex, that's what I'd normally do. As far as spring settling that's what I'd expect too.
But regarding the initial setting....there's no easy way to determine what is a mid setting.

When comparing these to the stock coil over in the front, these are much much shorter. About 2 inches shorter on full extension.

What I ended up doing is coming up and a system where I just screwed it all the way down to full extended and measured it, then screwed it back up to fully short. The travel amounted to about 4 inches.

I shot for the middle which turned out to be about 9 inches when measured from the bottom of the spring perch to the bottom of the shock. This turned out to be too tall.

So, undid the bottom leaving the top in place and screwed the bottom up to about 8 inches. This was better but not good enough.

I finally set it to totally screwed to the top which is 7.5 inches. This turned out to be nearly perfect. I think I can dial in a little more once the springs settle by adjusting the spring pre-loading.

Here is a picture of the front with the Godspeed coils at its shortest where the spring is pretensioned by one turn.

Attachment 1357775

Another with the stock rear shocks still in.....massive rake!

https://i.imgur.com/3QpZPE5l.jpg

Now on to the rears!

klokwerk 01-10-2016 12:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
All done.

Turns out this is a very easy job. Easy enough to adjust.

Attachment 1357451

onceover 05-11-2016 01:51 PM

How are these coilovers holding up for people?

I was debating getting some camber plates but for $500 vs a set of coilovers for $840 that come with plates it's hard to not to try them out.

Alex Sol 06-23-2016 07:54 PM

agreed that i'm tempted to the do the same. i have the stock boge coilover shocks that may have 370,000 kms on them. still work pretty well but the ride height is just too hideous...

speedbagger 06-24-2016 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by onceover (Post 13278462)
How are these coilovers holding up for people?

would love to hear some additional input as well. need to do something with my stock setup SOON.

Alex Sol 06-24-2016 12:27 PM

i have a few non stock items on my 964.

msd coils
five o motorsport injectors
pbr ceramic brake pads
alpine stereo deck

so... willing to try lesser expensive items esp. when i am not trying to shave 2 tenths of a second off my lap time... and no concourse winner either...

:biggulp:

speedbagger 06-30-2016 10:01 PM

ordered a set and should have tomorrow. not sure i'll get a chance to install this weekend but will report back once i do.

Evil Bunny 07-07-2016 10:16 AM

Chaps, any further feedback on the Silvers?

Planning winter upgrades and was originally set on KW V1 however I could be swayed.

james_marshall 07-07-2016 12:54 PM

GodSpeed

1 Attachment(s)
I've had the Godspeed Coilovers on now for probably 12 months, about 4000 miles - UK roads / motorways.
The units themselves still look like new - no issues at all.
Ride - I tried, (ONCE!) to have them on something other than the soft setting, and within about a mile, stopped and put them back to where they were. UK roads around me are not really up to much and they crashed and banged a little. Motorway travel and it might be better.
Not been tracked - although handling seems balanced and precise.
But I'm not a racing driver.... just like to go out for a ride :-)

Pacific German 07-08-2016 03:42 AM

Buyer beware, you get what you pay for.
It's pretty sad when you can compress a Godspeed strut with one finger pressing down, but a Bilstein requires your entire body weight.
H&R really is the bench mark for entry level.
My .02

dleefsu 12-18-2016 09:21 AM

I put the Godspeeds on a month or two ago but am just really back to driving the car now and no complaints. I'm not sure what the comment is about compression the strut with one finger as if anything they are too stiff like others have pointed out, you definitely want them on full soft which perhaps that is a good comment to make, you will end up with a much stiffer ride even on full soft so if you want a little more comfort and give in your ride then that may be the only issue I can think of. My disclaimer on that though is that I bounce between very 'soft' vehicles so when I get in the 964 everything about it seems very very stiff and tight...

I wouldn't shy away from them as I believe with these parts that we're simply not being charged the Porsche up charge.

speedbagger 12-19-2016 11:19 AM

other than a minor incompatibility with one of the wiring clips on the front i've had no issues either--although mine is just a weekend car with the wife and kids.

i've set very (too) low and full soft. still need ride height adjust and alignment but am happy.

i would recommend this as an option for someone replacing their stock set-up on a street car.

JasonAndreas 12-19-2016 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by pi5tolpete (Post 12438199)
These Godspeed ones look like a really good deal. Almost too good. What am I missing?

Hunt around Alibabi/Aliexpress and you will find them available for even less...

james_marshall 12-19-2016 12:00 PM

Ive had mine on for 12 months now, and although not driven to extremes / all that often, I can agree with the previous 2 posts above. Made the mistake of trying a few turns from soft, the UK roads did their best - and within a mile or so, i went back to full soft, and its been there ever since.
I too had to get the dremel out to fit one of the clips in properly - but it was a minor issue, well worth it.
Just my 2p's.

Goughary 12-19-2016 01:28 PM

Biggest issue we've had w these is the lock ring continually coming loose. Anyone else have this issue?

Would be nice to get a second lock ring and lock them down tight. Or add a set screw to the lock ring so it can't move. So far- still a fan at the price, not a fan over-all. I'd spend a few hundred more to get something better. Or save a bit and spend for even better.

Leftfootbrake 12-21-2016 03:02 AM

you guys that have them installed have any pics?

renncayman 07-06-2017 01:07 PM

Have you considered the all-new Ohlins coils for 987? They were released last month!

onceover 07-07-2017 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas (Post 13822594)
Hunt around Alibabi/Aliexpress and you will find them available for even less...

Not finding anything... Care to share some links?

klokwerk 07-07-2017 01:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Leftfootbrake (Post 13826983)
you guys that have them installed have any pics?

All of the pictures I've posted of my car are with these coil-overs installed.

Attachment 1353581

Attachment 1353582

I have to say that after a year of driving on these, I'm very pleased. For on the street, they're great. Feel very similar to how the H&R's and KW's I've had in the past (on different cars though).

One thing I've been meaning to do is raise the fronts up a tad. Really have them too low and it rubs when I hit a bump or corner hard.

Goughary, I haven't noticed the lock ring coming loose on mine. Once the top spring is pre-tentioned, the ring has stayed in place for me.

I do wish the adjustment was more traditional so that rather than having to detach the bottom bolt to spin the whole thing down or up you used the spring perch to lower or raise it. But you get used to it.

Has anyone experienced any corrosion? Mine seem to be doing well for going through one winter.

HDA 07-07-2017 06:18 PM

These are like the BC Racing for the NSX.

I'd pick these vs. the KW V1 but not vs. a set of Ohlins DFV...

Moe1 08-29-2017 08:32 PM

need to wake up the only good thread about godspeed coilovers.

Any updates on using godspeed after a while ? any sign of rust as people stated ?

really thinking of pulling the trigger on these, for $840 they are not easy to ignore !

klokwerk 08-30-2017 03:22 PM

I recently did a brake job on my car and inspected the suspension while I was there. I did have corrosion on the threads but the coils and body were all in great shape. I took a soft wire brush to the threads and they cleaned up nicely.
I'd love to find a coating to put on them to prevent this from happening, but it's been over a year and if that's the worst then I'm happy with them.

Sorry, didn't take any pictures but I'll take some this next weekend when I put my new wheels on.

Moe1 08-30-2017 05:49 PM

Glad to hear they are still holding together. guess its surface rust then.

What about handling compared to other coilovers ? not looking for something aggressive.
Car will be 80% for the street and 20% track time, not a daily driver.

Really considering them!

MyNameIdeasWereT 08-28-2018 09:40 AM

Bumping this thread again, since it has been another year. Any more reviews and updates?

In my opinion, you get what you pay for. Cash out for KWs and they'll last the life of the car; I wouldn't expect these Godspeeds to last more than a couple of season with occasional track days.

But for the price, with adjustable dampening and camber plates, I wouldn't mind buying these a couple times if they're at least holding up for the short term...

Goughary 08-28-2018 11:37 AM

They were terrible.

Not a fan.

HDA 08-29-2018 12:55 AM

I thought about them too. For a while actually.

then I figured that the Koni-Eibach is a much better proven combo.

964 are built to be driven, don’t jeopardize that pleasure with low quality parts.

DLook 12-07-2018 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by klokwerk (Post 12913877)
All done.

Turns out this is a very easy job. Easy enough to adjust.

https://i.imgur.com/ciDiQo6l.jpg

It has been over 2 years now. How do you find the Godspeed Coilovers? I wanted to replace the SUV height suspension of my 964 but then got news that I need to replace my shocks on my 993. This came as a surprised as I was planning the upgrade a year down the road. So cost is a major factor. I planning to make purchase soon so any advice is much appreciated.

klokwerk 12-07-2018 02:16 PM

After a couple years I can say that I've been very happy with these. I know that Goughary isn't a fan. I'd like to know why.
Here are some of the the activities I've done in this car since installing these coil-overs.
Autocrossed a couple times 2017
Porsche HPDE 2018
Porsche parade in 2017 with driving events
Drove from Spokane to Seattle and back 4 times
Lots and lots of back country roads around Eastern Washington
2 Winters in 'lifted' mode

Over all that time, with the coils at my lowest setting and with the dials set to Medium stiffness in the rear and Stiffest in the Front, I've only ever felt them bottom out once. And that was before I had the alignment done and camber changed.
Since that, no issues withrubbing or bottoming out. At the track for the Autocross and HPDE, the car felt very solid and handled very well.

On the mean streets of Spokane, where the ruts run wild and pot holes know no bounds, I'd set the suspension to Soft in the fronts. With that, my car soaked up the bumps and handled the ruts just fine. Not as smooth as an SUV, but no where near as kidney killing as it was before on the stock suspension.

Over all, I've been very pleased with these. For the money they delivered. My expectations were not very high and so they definitely exceeded them and more.
Would I buy them again? Yes.
Would I do anything differently or want something changed? Yes!. The adjustment of these is different than any other coil-over setup I've owned. You have to unbolt the bottom of the strut from the rest of the suspension to turn the strut to make height adjustments. Weird at first then you get used to it. The change I'd like is to make the adjustments like traditional coils. Turn spring perches up or down.

Bottom line is for the price these are hard to beat. They handle the weather pretty well with minor corrosion on the struts, but nothing regular maintenance can't address. They handle the roads around here like a champ and for light track duty they do not disappoint.

Hope that helps.
I do plan on replacing these with a set of KW v3's or Ohlins road & track coils in the near future because I want to be snooty and say I have a set of Ohlins. ;-)

MyNameIdeasWereT 12-07-2018 02:54 PM

My experience with Godspeed is on my 987. Completely different car, so results will vary, but coilover quality is often shared among other models.

I have always shared the general opinion of Godspeed products (you get what you pay for) and if these last me two seasons, I'll be surprised and happy. In the meantime, it's nice having something with adjustable damping, lowering, and built in camber plates. KW is the best from my experience, but the price can be a bit intimidating for many.

I'm honestly very impressed... Compared to my experience with H&R, Bilstein, and KW on Ford, Mazda, and Volvo, I would consider these better than H&R and Bilstein, but time will tell...
The amount of adjustability has allowed me to test various settings over the last few months and dial in something that is comfortable, sits the way I want, responds very well to the road, and isn't bouncy. I have done 3 track days with these and been impressed so far.

After about 100 miles, I started getting some spring binding even though I set the preload appropriately. My problem was the mounts were a little stiff since they were new. After another few hundred miles, everything got loosened up the way it needed and has been problem free since.

Install took about 2 hours and height/damping adjustments only take seconds on the 987.

Considering that they cost me less than 20% of any other 987 coilovers (many with less adjustment options), these will hold me off for a year or two.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/SC...000-no-tmp.jpg

Goughary 12-07-2018 09:54 PM

I don't have any big things to say abt the godspeeds- responding from the post above...

But here are my woes...
First they are cheep. So yes this is a plus. And do they work? Yes. They are essentially fine. So for anyone having a good experience- awesome. You should be. Cuz when we buy something and go through all the time and expense to install align etc...they had better be good!

Now- for us...we installed these on the lobster rocket. They were "good", but we had removed a set of bilstein hd- which were "good".

Now - we also installed a new set of bilstein hd and eibachs on the Alabama car, having installed also a set of monoball top hats to the rear in that setup....so we had a new set of godspeeds and a new set of bilstein/eibach/ monoball on another to play with back to back. And then...i did kwv3 with camber plates and monoballs...so we had that setup to compare as well.

The bilstein and eibach were - over all for a street setup, much better when the godspeeds were set to a similar softness. So for the majority of driving - the bilsteins won that argument. Yes, for a track day, the added adjustment of the godspeeds would have won in that setting.

Cost? I would have gone Godspeed too---knowing only what i just said. Cuz i love to know i can stiffen things up for hard driving...but...

Then the problems started. The first problem, was that there is no lock ring on the godspeeds, so under hard use, the height adjustment rings kept loosening up and the struts kept rotating and therefore changing the ride height. This drove us nuts. The kw use a set screw in the ring and the bilsteins use a lock ring. If the godspeeds had been on my car, i would have had to fix this by modifying to one of those two methods...so i would suggest that. Simple fix. Drill a hole, tap in and toss a set screw in there.
(We cranked down the rings very hard and the problem wasn't something i heard about again)

But then....mike blew out the right rear strut. After a year of use. So here is where the cheap comes into play. Cuz first off- you are very very unlikely to blow a bilstein. They are really well made. But he went and tried to contact the company. And couldn't. Now he isn't me and I'm not him. And it wasn't on my car. So I'm going by hear say, but he tried multiple times to find someone to discuss this issue with and was unsuccessful and gave up. Because this not only shouldn't have happened, but it also shouldn't happen that you have a product on your car that should be warranteed, and there is no one behind the product. Or at least no one easily accessible- which wouldn't happen with bilstein, kw, Olin's, etc.

So yes they work- and when they work they are good for the price- for sure. But judging by my/our experience, I'd buy a more reputable product, which is only a few hundred more out of pocket. Because should you have either of those issues, the alignments alone would cost you more than having bought the better product just once and aligned once. Plus I'd like to have the option to have the struts rebuilt in the future if need be. But for 800 dollars- ok we aren't rebuilding godspeeds...

Now - as to kw- great product, sort of. I really wish the perches were aluminum. But- for anyone that hasn't been to the other threads - suspension madness and the other one - where we discussed the issue w kw- take note:

First - all current kw for a 964 require that you use step down washers on the lower bolt in the front strut. This is important as your camber will change in corners if you don't. Kw does not supply the step down washers. Unless you call them and complain.

Second- i will NEVER buy another kw product due to the way they have handled being notified of this issue. Keep in mind - if you have kw struts, this is a safety issue. And you need a receipt for the struts you have proving that you bought the struts in order to have them send you a few dollars worth of step down washers to solve your issue that they designed into their own product. So if a shop bought your struts, they won't send you washers unless you have the receipt for the purchase.

Good product. Terrible way of handling a serious issue. (You may be able to tell that I'm not happy).

This all said, if i get a call from the president of kw- he should have my number at this point after all the time i spent discussing this with his employees on the phone- and if i hear an apology and a promise to not only include the step down washers on all future 964 purchases, but also hear that they will send the step down washers to any of us that have their product on our cars- i will retract and thank them for stepping up.

But for the moment- they are black listed. I'm not giving them my business or recommending a product with a fundamental design flaw.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program...

klokwerk 12-08-2018 12:44 AM

Thanks man. I'll have to catch up on the suspension madness thread!

Goughary 12-08-2018 09:53 AM

Yeah sorry - i was tired and that was really long..lol...

You guys all know I'm sometimes massively opinionated...don't read into my comments a "black and white"...cuz though i always have my black and white that is in my head...it doesn't ever mean I'm not open to the grey and I'm always open to other perspectives.

If you do go to the suspension madness thread and happen to run across the wevo engine mount issue- wevo is the perfect example of how a reputable company should respond to their customers when there is an issue.

"I have a problem"
"Send pics and tell me"
"That shouldn't have happened let's discuss while i send you replacements immediately"
Please let me know if you find out more"
Then a couple weeks later they followed up.

DLook 12-10-2018 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by klokwerk (Post 15481711)
After a couple years I can say that I've been very happy with these. I know that Goughary isn't a fan. I'd like to know why.
Here are some of the the activities I've done in this car since installing these coil-overs.
Autocrossed a couple times 2017
Porsche HPDE 2018
Porsche parade in 2017 with driving events
Drove from Spokane to Seattle and back 4 times
Lots and lots of back country roads around Eastern Washington
2 Winters in 'lifted' mode

Over all that time, with the coils at my lowest setting and with the dials set to Medium stiffness in the rear and Stiffest in the Front, I've only ever felt them bottom out once. And that was before I had the alignment done and camber changed.
Since that, no issues withrubbing or bottoming out. At the track for the Autocross and HPDE, the car felt very solid and handled very well.

On the mean streets of Spokane, where the ruts run wild and pot holes know no bounds, I'd set the suspension to Soft in the fronts. With that, my car soaked up the bumps and handled the ruts just fine. Not as smooth as an SUV, but no where near as kidney killing as it was before on the stock suspension.

Over all, I've been very pleased with these. For the money they delivered. My expectations were not very high and so they definitely exceeded them and more.
Would I buy them again? Yes.
Would I do anything differently or want something changed? Yes!. The adjustment of these is different than any other coil-over setup I've owned. You have to unbolt the bottom of the strut from the rest of the suspension to turn the strut to make height adjustments. Weird at first then you get used to it. The change I'd like is to make the adjustments like traditional coils. Turn spring perches up or down.

Bottom line is for the price these are hard to beat. They handle the weather pretty well with minor corrosion on the struts, but nothing regular maintenance can't address. They handle the roads around here like a champ and for light track duty they do not disappoint.

Hope that helps.
I do plan on replacing these with a set of KW v3's or Ohlins road & track coils in the near future because I want to be snooty and say I have a set of Ohlins. ;-)

Thank you!

Tangerine Dream 12-11-2020 11:04 PM

Any more feedback on the Godspeed coil overs? On sale for $875

onceover 12-12-2020 10:30 PM

I've been happy with mine for the last 2 years. Car only sees road use, but have driven it pretty hard on some curvy roads and it performs well. Also had a few friends drive it and they were impressed by the feel (one drives a heavily modified Ruf Turbo R...)